“Great place!”

Karrinyup Waters Resort
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

This place has it all: close to the city (20min) but quiet, clean bathrooms even some very new ensuite ones, friendly staff, spots for all sizes of campers, super clean kitchen and a bonus with the lake. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here on a recommendation and were not dissapointed. The staff were helpful, the park very well maintained and facilities were great and clean. There were ducks (and baby ducklings) which you could feed and watch them on the lake. The pool area was big and inviting- the spa was as big as a pool itself! It had a well equipped camp kitchen which was right by the park so the kids could play while families cooked dinner- well thought out. Very good value for such a central location in Perth.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I was cautious about staying here when I had read negative review but am glad I decided to find out for myself.
It was said in one review that the staff were not helpful but I didn't find that at all. In fact they were very friendly. There were 4 vans in our group. On booking in one of the young ladies was very helpful even giving us information on public transport into Perth. Three of the vans (smaller) were put on a "sloping" site which was done by tractor. Our friends were quite happy with these sites. We had a 6.5m van & was given the option of 2 sites even though they were full. We took the larger one. Even though we were beside a walkway it was a very pleasant site.
The camp kitchen, laundry & amenities were of a good standard.
They provided us with both a bus & train timetable & the bus stop is out the front. Was very easy to get to Perth & Fremantle without the hassle of driving. There is a main shopping centre approx. 15 minutes up the road with Woolworths, Coles, Kmart & specialty shops. Although there is no shop in the park, this was not a problem.
There is a separate building which is stocked with tourist brochures which was well stocked.
This building also provided Internet facilities (I never used this facility).
On the downside I found one of the young girls in the book in office to be "weird". While the young lady with glasses was helpful to us the other was sitting there, unsmiling, staring - very unnerving.
We were next to a permanent van which was a bit dingy on the outside so I kept my kitchen blind closed. Think they should perhaps get onsiters to maintain their vans a better.
Can feel a little crowded but once you are set up it doesn't feel that way at all.
Other than that I was pleasantly surprised at the overall service & cleanliness of this park.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank guineagold
Reviewed August 25, 2012

A lovely caravan park who's staff couldn't do enough to help out - maps, local advice, booking flexibility, online communication. Park style camping areas with good showers and toilets. Clean and well equipped camp kitchen. Lovely feathered residents.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

In my numerous travels to Perth, getting an affordable yet easily accessible accomodation is always a problem. Karrinyup Water Resort is one of the few that can be counted as value for money.

Location wise, it is an easy 15 minutes drive to the centre of Perth by Mitchell Freeway. It is also relatively near to the beach. Downside is there is no amenities nearby within walking distance. You need to drive to get things you want.

Facilities in the park - Very Good. There are two playgrounds, one very big jumping pillow and a picturesque lake with lots of ducks running around. There is also a heated pool, which suit my child very well as we came at the midst of winter. The other unheated normal pool is large, in fact one of the largest among caravan parks I have seen. I reckon this pool must be very popular during summer times.

Room wise, the one bedroom Cabin that I stayed is quite small compared to the other Caravan parks I stayed around WA. But this is expected as land cost is higher in Perth. The Cabin is also quite dated but you can see the owner is making effort to modernise them. The toilet basin and shower area for example are newly changed. The TV is also the new plasma type and is pretty big. Bed is clean and comfortable. My wife and I have a good night sleep, so did my children.

This park has a small library near the reception. The book selection is quite lousy so don't bother. There is also an internet kiosk which charges about $2 per 40 minutes, cheap by Australian standards. But this come with a catch, the internet keyboard is faulty and you have to punch really hard one by one to type a message, a real torture to me. I really hope the management can do something to this. Personally, I do not mind paying more money but have a good PC that I can use.

All in all, this is still a value for money accomodation option in Perth. If you drive, have children (who like to play and rough it out) and do not want to pay the exorbitant rates many CBD hotels are charging, this is the right place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AhHwee
OwnerKWR, Owner at Karrinyup Waters Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Thanks AhHwee,

your review is very thorough and I am sure that people will find it helpful.

Many of your points are spot on and you must be commended.

We are looking at adding printing functionality to our web kiosk in the future so will make sure that the keyboard is replaced or fixed.

All the best.

Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 nights with a baby and 2 1/2 year old in two bedroom cabin. We were really happy with mot things and would def stay here again but next time in our caravan. Husband and son loved the spa. Great to walk around and get out of the cabin-also easy to have visitors come to you. Was wondering why playground and lakes not fenced off but I would never let the kids go off unsupervised. Overall really good.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and two young girls chose this park for our week's stay in Perth, being guided by the great reviews, nice looking brochure and pictures of swimming heated pools. To be honest, we were quite disappointed & wondered how this park could so far receive all glowing reviews.

On our arrival we were shown a couple of sites by our guide, but when he left we found nicer ones by the lake. I rang the office to ask if we could use one of them and was told they may be too small for our caravan but that we could. We only had a small caravan & fit in no problem. After setting up, another employee came along and told us off for parking there even though i said i'd asked and there was also another two caravans in this area. The other main caravan area (slabs) is like a caravan carpark - very crammed in and no ambiance.

The back amenities blocks, although nice,  were left uncleaned and in a total disgrace for most of our stay. We stayed for 7 nights and they were cleaned only twice in this time. There were also heaps of dead insects on the ceilings and light fittings and mould in areas in shower and ceilings, an indication of not cleaning regularly. The windows of all of these bathrooms were jammed shut so ventilation was not great.

The pools were a big disappointment. On booking I asked if the pools were heated and all working and was told absolutely, yes, they're great.  On day one they were freezing cold and the spa wasn't working. On day three they were the same, I asked at the front desk who called out to her father, the owner who looked very offended and told me the spa's heater is being repaired and the other pool is heated fine. On day 4 it was still freezing and day 6, same. I'm sorry, but that is not solar heating, especially in mid 20s temp.

We stayed the week feeling ripped off. This is an expensive park which we don't mind if the facilities are good and its well maintained, but we felt really regretful that we were stuck in this park for the week.

• Stayed: May 2012
7  Thank KathC76
OwnerKWR, Owner at Karrinyup Waters Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Hi Kath,

Thank you for your review. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us though it’s to be expected that at some point we will encounter some bad reviews. You do raise some good points that I can address for other readers. In signing up to reply to your review it has also given me a chance to upload a few photos of the facilities and recently completed improvements that will also feature on the 'Discover Downunder' network television show in the coming months as we are a feature park.

Fortunately I am very familiar with your stay. I showed you to site, later answered your phone call to reception and spoke to the assistant manager both before and after his interaction with you.
The dates of your stay were from Friday the 18th of May till the 25th of May.

The spa was not heated from Wednesday the 16th until Thursday the 24th of May. Unfortunately the fault with the heater was terminal and it needed to be replaced. The heater is not stocked in Western Australia and was trucked from the eastern states. The spa was back up to 36 degrees by 6pm on Thursday the 27th of May. Indeed this was very bad timing for your stay and I do sincerely apologize. Unfortunately down time is to be expected as the spa is heated 365 days of the year. Since commissioning in 2006 it has been out of operation for approximately 20 days in total.

We receive a lot of positive feedback on our amenities blocks including here on trip advisor. Two of our amenities blocks are self contained where by guests have access to a private toilet shower and sink. While there are many benefits for the guests, one of the disadvantages is that there is more condensation compared to a traditional amenities block. We were aware of this and replaced all of the windows to a fixed pain of glass with a larger opening on the Thursday of your stay (images attached). It must be noted that all the replaced windows were in working order and not jammed. These windows had two latches to pull when opening and closing that some guests overlooked.

As part of our continued improvements of the whole park, we will be replacing the light fittings in this amenities block to waterproof lights. We are doing this for maintenance issues associated with globe longevity, though you will also find insects will not be able to penetrate the light covers.

Unfortunately your suggestion that the amenities were cleaned only twice in the week that you were with us is simply un-true. The amenities are cleaned daily.

It is are policy to show our guests to site, give them a choice where possible and offer assistance reversing. You were shown every site available for caravans (approx 15). Your preference was grass and had a choice of about 8.

Readers may have a better understanding of your review by knowing that you later requested to shift to an area clearly signposted "tents and camper-trailers only". Despite being against our policy I said you may go on sites 6 to 9. You asked about sites 1 to 5 to which I said you are unlikely to fit but you’re welcome to try. As this move was without supervision the assistant manger later checked which site you had chosen, only to see that your caravan was on one site and your 4wd was parked across the road on another site. It is disheartening that we went out of our way to accommodate your wishes and none of this is mentioned in your review. In hindsight I hope that you can understand that the assistant manager spoke to you as your car did in fact require a second site for the entirety of your stay.

As a matter of interest, there no father / daughter relationship at Karrinyup Waters. We do not have managing couples or assistant manager couples like many tourist parks; it is policy that all staff are hired individually.

I do wish you the best on the remainder of your holiday and hope that you enjoy some of the other parks along the way.

For future reference, we do offer full refunds on caravan site bookings for days not stayed no matter what the circumstance. If a guest is not happy at our park we encourage them to try elsewhere without monetary penalty as our goal is to have happy guests.

Regards
Jason

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gwelup
Ocean View Motel
#1 of 1 in North Beach
Sunmoon Boutique Resort
#4 of 6 in Scarborough
Indian Ocean Hotel
#2 of 6 in Scarborough
West Perth
Sage Hotel West Perth

Been to Karrinyup Waters Resort? Share your experiences!