“Ordinary rum and very ordinary venue”

Great Northern Distillery
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Tiny bar/counter too few staff and swamped by coaches. Its like a cheap fibro shed with a few seats - not the place to be on a hot Perth afternoon. Great concept stuffed up badly.

All reviews
"daiquiri"
"laws"
"sample"

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stopped here briefly and tried the 3 liqueurs (coffee, butterscotch and melon). They were really good, especially the butterscotch. The bartender made us a special drink with the coffee liqueur, vodka soaked grapes and soda water which was very good. We did not try any of the rums as we are not rum drinkers.

1  Thank Dreamy_Angel_Travels
Reviewed November 23, 2013

It takes a lot to get me to write one of these but this was a real highlight...
The wine tour we were on stopped here and I was pleasantly surprised. Refreshingly different from all the other cellars I've been to.
When we were arrived we were given guest passes by the manager. They limit everyone to three drinks per day. If they didn't I think I would have stayed there all day.
We got inside and were given "samples" which were like cut down versions of how we normally drink our spirits, I tried the 51% rum with soda and my girlfriend had the white rum with a ginger syrup. Both were yummy. They also make the syrups here and they are really good. Our drinks were included in our tour but they normally charge $4 each for them so you don't feel obliged to buy anything. We ended up buying a bottle of rum and three different syrups because we actually liked them rather than being told what to like.
It was a really relaxed and unpretentious place. Not surprisingly it was very busy and according to our driver he has to book groups in at least a month in advance. So if you are in a group you had better ring them first.
They don't sell food but they let you bring your own! There was even a free barbecue outside in the courtyard.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I came over from Melbourne for 3 days with my family for a wedding and discovered this place on our spare day traveling around the swan valley. Nestled in amongst wine country, this little gem is less than 20 minutes ride from the airport. I had a great time talking with the young man behind the bar about their range of rums (I must admit I didn't know how many different types there are) and we were shortly joined by the actual distillery who I'd been watched through the large plated glass windows of the tasting room making up a special batch for Xmas!

Friendly, informative and darn good spirits! I'd recommend trying the Small Batch which is a blend of local fortified spirit and oaked Canefire rum. They do a different blend each year, only 500 bottles, and each blend is unique! They even have a Small Batch club which I signed up for so they could tell me when each batch came out. Brilliant!

Looking forward to Batch #9!

1  Thank Jetsetterjimbo