“B&Bing in Dorset”

The Gaggle of Geese
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Gaggle of Geese has been under new ownership since September 2012, we have renovated and decorated, we are a traditional local pub serving good affordable food (which is all home cooked) for lunch, evenings, and weekends. We have chosen local ales and good wine. Relax by the fire, which is always lit in winter or sit in the sun on our patio during the summer, bring the family and the dog! We look forward to welcoming you for a drink or for food, enjoy sitting in the garden - Buckland Newton is seated in the heart of many lovely walks and gardens, we hope you enjoy your visit.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“B&Bing in Dorset”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Aquaint old style pub well off the beaten track - like sitting in someone's house. Not a huge menu but the quality of the food, its preparation and taste was excellent.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank John S

London
“As the owner of the peeing dog I apologise!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I am SO sorry about the dog; he is 17 and now is left in the car!
For my part, the food is good, sometimes outstanding, and they have looked after me wonderfully over the last 3 years. As a group who camped in the grounds apparently commented: "odd, but in a nice way", although the other review were more on the mark by calling its quirkiness "lovely".
I could not recommend this place more highly.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank OrangeBadger
Dorset
“Could do better. Food not quite there, and peeing dog put me off”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We live locally and decided to try after seeing the website and awards. My husband had the sirloin with tomato, onion rings and chips (£15) and I had fillet of steak which came with 5 or 6 small chunks of beetroot, 4 bits of parsnip shavings and a dry, lukewarm and very solid piece of fondant potato. This cost £19. The steak was very nice and well cooked, but the rest let it down. The worst bit was the 'peeing dog'! An old jack russell type kept creeping around in the corner we were seated in, and the owner would appear every 5/10 minutes to see if the dog had 'sprinkled' as this was his favorite spot. Sure enough, the dog did sprinkle, right beside my husband. The owner seemed not to consider anybody else apart from this dog, and should have been told to put it on the lead. The 'sprinkle' was not cleared up, and was left to soak into the carpet. It was quite disgusting, also because the owners have a one year old child who plays in the pub area! The total bill came to £60+. The little problems could so easily be rectified, and the meal could have been smashing, but it wasn't and I wouldn't go back again. The service was good, and the waitress very friendly and capable.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank dorset1
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Friendly atmosphere, food possibly overated”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Having had several recommendations, we tried this with some friends. There is a very friendly atmosphere in the pub and we received a warm welcome and a nice fire. They were somewhat understaffed that evening. The food was pleasant, but not exceptional- especially as it has received many awards and our expectations were rather high. However the owners are selling up and, so I was told, moving out of the catering business.

• Visited February 2012
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Nice place indifferent food”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We had a voucher from a local radio station which was why we went. We really wanted to like the experience as it is clearly a local pub and the staff were very friendly but the food was disappointing. I ordered caramelised beetroot and leek with a horseradish cumble topping for£5.50. It was bland and the crumble was rich, loose and buttery with no discernible taste of horse-radish. My main course was beef in a red wine jus £19.00, which I requested rare. It came well done. The beef had been cooked and then cut into three discs; surely an opportunity to recognise the overcooked result and not served. I could just about put my starter down to being a bad choice (although I did expect more caramel and horse radish) but the steak was clearly wrongly cooked. I took it back to the bar and it was taken back without question. Although I was offered a complete replacement, I accepted just the one slice which arrived simply seared on each side but no problem. It was a good piece of meat. My family had better luck. There was a rumpsteak and two confit de canard at £15 each. We had no dessert.

• Visited January 2012