“the only place to eat sunday lunch!”
Review of The Griffin Inn

The Griffin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Fletching B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2013

What a perfect pub, in a perfect location, perfect atmosphere and charming staff. Delicious food, my chicken pie was meltingly tender, I went back two sundays in a row it was so good. The food is always excellent, with log fires, good food and drink you would have to go a long way to match it!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

We went to the Griffin last night for our works Christmas do. The staff were lovely, there were big open fires but more importantly the food was just amazing. I have recently been to eat at top 5* London hotels and this was by far a lot better!

I would recommend to anyone and everyone for any occasion.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We visited the Griffin with friends for a meal and an overnight break. Although fairly pricey, I believe that our stay was worth the money and we would definitely return at some stage. The location is very quaint, the pub itself extremely inviting with lots of welcoming open fires and really friendly staff. The restaurant is quite small but by no means cramped and the food that we were served was absolutely delicious. The room (see pictures) was fantastic and ours was right above the pub (The Fletching room) and although you can hear most of the goings on below it didn't really bother us at all, especially as we had a great bed which gave us a brilliant nights sleep. If you are a very light sleeper I would probably recommend asking for a room away from the main building and very importantly don't forget to pull the blind down in the bathroom before having a bath in case you give the locals a bit of a show they won't forget in a hurry. Quick breakdown of our bill for myself and the missus was roughly £120 for the room £90 for the meal and about £60 for drinks (although this did include a couple of bottles of wine). Though when taking into account the price I feel if we had gone to London for a meal and a hotel of comparable quality I would probably have ended up paying double what I paid here.

Room Tip: Depending on how well you sleep ask for a room as near or far away from the bar as you need.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Although the Griffin ticks a lot of boxes in terms of location and view from the garden, the arrogance of the staff lets it down to such an extent t is hard to recommend. It is not just me that has noticed this, but friends as well, and a few posters have noted the same in their reviews on this site. The last time we went, the waitress challenged us on a starter I had not ordered which lowered the tone of the evening. We have also found on a few occasions that when waiting at the bar to order, the staff will carry on have a conversation while you are left standing there, like you are invisible. The attitude of the staff is such a shame, because if the staff were friendlier, then the Griffin would be a terrific pub as it does have a lot going for it. But these days, consistently poor customer service is inexcusable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Melbourne_Loving
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We have stayed here a number of times. We try to stay in a different room each time but we do have our favourite which I shall keep to myself! The rooms are always clean and fresh and comfortable. The food, both dinner and breakfast, is delicious - sometimes served in the pub and sometimes in the restaurant. The staff are attentive and friendly. I've enjoyed each stay thoroughly and we shall most likely be back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alannah C
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night in April 2012, We had a ground floor room in the coach house with windows facing the beer garden. It was a lovely room and bathroom -Although we had to close our curtains during the day as other customers were in the beer garden and therefore could see into the room.
The food in the restaurant was very good, fine dining- we had an evening meal and breakfast the following morning. With our evening meal there was a vast selection of wines.
Our bathroom had a beautiful roll-top bath. My only criticism was whilst lying in the bath you could see previous customers splash marks on the tiles in the bathroom and the skirting boards in the bathroom were quite grubby. I filled in the room questionnaire advising of the cleanliness of the bathroom. Aside from those issues we found the rest of our stay comfortable and relaxing, and would definitely rebook.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed November 16, 2012

A pub we have visited for years for the occasional meal out never lets us down, on this occasion we decided to stay overnight. Food was exceptional as all ways, the service and atmosphere was warm, the room was lovely and comfortable and we are planning out next stay already. thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Kayleighambridge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fletching
Buxted Park Hotel
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted
Chequers Inn
Chequers Inn
#1 of 1 in Maresfield

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!