“Lovely afternoon with family”
Review of The Griffin Inn

The Griffin Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Fletching B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2012

For a little family get-together and mother-in-law's birthday celebrations, we were planned a spot of lunch at The Griffin and then mosey on over to Sheffield Park Gardens. We loved the pub. I did worry intially that it might be a little bit 'upmarket' for a family of 11 (including a troublesome 3 year old and a babe in highchair), but they were very accomodating, allowing me to reserve a table inside even though we were just there for pub grub. The local surroundings were lovely, the atmosphere friendly, the decor internally interesting and traditional but the best was the garden which had gorgeous views. After a delicious (but have to confess, pretty expensive!) lunch, we took our coffees outside to enjoy the views and let the kids stretch their legs. The garden is pretty and enormous and it was bustling with different sorts of people. There are also seats under shelter which was particularly useful on this little visit as the heavens opened. We sat happily drinking our coffees, the kids had their icecreams and even though our walk to Sheffield Park Gardens was postponed, we had a lovely afternoon in the garden of the pub! We will definitely visit again...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This pub/hotel looks great on the surface: Great location, charming village setting, commanding views over the Sussex countryside and steeped in history.

My wife and I booked by phone in Spring 2012 to stay for 2 nights during a visit to the Gyndebourne opera in August. On checking a fortnight or so before the event the Griffin had no record of our reservation. Very strange! They were able to offer us one room for a Saturday night (the Simon de Montfort) another for the following night (The Woolpack) for night 2. On pressing them we were eventually granted concessionary rates for these rooms.

On night 1 we arrived directly from the opera at about 10.30 pm. The day had been hot - temperatures in the 30s - and the evening was still mediterranean. The place was heaving! The garden tables were full to overflowing with diners.

We were shown to our room - a premier first floor room in the coach house. Entering this building was like walking into an oven and the room was equally hot. What to do? we opened all of the (small) windows and tried to cool things off. Unfortunately, the bombardment of noise from the diners floated up to the room and this was supplemented by the very noisy kitchen fan and another heat exchanger unit for the beer cellar.

The diners drifted away just before midnight, the kitchen fan stopped about half an hour later, but the cellar cooling device continued intermittently right through the night. I reckon we got about 2 hours sleep in this noisy bread oven of a room.

The room was also rather tired and not altogether tidy - there were uncleared cosmetics and other jumble from previous visitors behind one dressing table. The bed had a large gap between the headboard and mattress down which pllows could fall; the featured enamel roll-top bath was a re-enamelled one and was showing signs of distress.

We cancelled our second night's stay and the management had the good grace not to charge us for it.

Breakfast? It was basically okay, but the available choices were rather inflexible; we were also disappointed to be refused a table in one part of the garden (with those commanding views) where another couple were breakfasting because - well the waitress really couldn't say why - perhaps it was too inconvenient for her to walk that far?

Alas we shall not be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MGPAman
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Fsharpminor

Wirral

We stayed the night here on account of our visiting Glyndebourne Opera. Got De Montfort room at £120 B&B for the two of us. It generally filled the bill, room OK, nice garden with good views where we had a snack before going to the opera. I was told this place has won Sussex Gastro poub of the year, though not borne out by previous reviewers. Beakfast was just aboiut adequate (eg I would have liked some grapefruit).
Acceptable, but notyhing special

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fsharpminor
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Seems quite an upmarket place in terms of the customers. Friendly relaxed country people most interesting to overhear when they have had a bit to drink. A charming athmosphere with friendly
helpful staff and a nice buzz from regulars. Decor very original I think (ie not newly designed). This is the sort of pub you would want to take your American friends to. 2 seperate bar areas, a restaurant and of course a great large garden on several levels with fab views and the techical capability for large BBQs.
Came first on a Friday afternoon, relaxing and pleasent..
Saturday evening we arived at 6pm to eat. Waited till 7pm for orders, got in quickly and were served quickly before it got really busy. Professional organised friendly service in the pub area
with customers called by name. The food was first class. My steak (£20) was nicely charred outside and pink inside with good veggies and chips. Partners Chicken Ceasar salad (which I tried) had excellent quality chicken. Starter of stuffed Courgette flower was noteable.
I would stay here anther time. There are rooms in 3 locations so worth asking for more info.

Room Tip: 3-4 different locations so do enquire as to what suits you best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Surroundings and pub are excellent, pub has a great feel inside and well maintained character building. Ate outside at rear of property in nice courtyard. Food very tasty and well done, we had a mixture of lamb, skate and pork - all remarked how good it was. Lamb served on bed of couscous very nice, although would have liked some vegetables included on the side, wouldn't cost a lot but the mains are on the expensive side so would have anticipated they would come with seasonal veg. Desserts very nice too. Service pretty good but could make improvements, service seemed to lack direction or management and so team often overlapped or were not quite sure of what job they were doing. This culminated at the end of the evening while having been presented with the bill, waited at least 20mins after indicating we were ready to pay and in the end had to go and find someone to take payment. Little more direction needed with waiting team. Good place but because of this, not sure I would repeat in a hurry as there are plenty of alternatives in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

As a group of 10 with 2 dogs we felt very welcome and ate from the bar menu at a lovely table on the terrace. We each ordered a different meal and without exception they were delicious. Generous portions, beautifully presented.
The price was very reasonable for the quality of the food and the surroundings - beautifully tended gardens and grounds and the staff were charming.
We will continue to recommend this place, and will be sure to return at the next opportunity.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2012

A truly wonderful garden - if The Griffin was nearby I'd be going regularly just for a drink and to enjoy the stunning views. We have only eaten there once and it was a complete disaster...

The meal started with my partner being served a pasta dish that contained capers (mentioned on the menu) but what turned up must have been from the bottom of the pan as it contained almost as much capers as pasta... we complained, the waitress agreed it didn't look right (only slightly apologetically) so brought her another one - this was much better - obviously a fresh batch.

Next the worrying thing... I also had a pasta dish but halfway through my plate I started crunching things that definitely weren't part of of the dish. I won't detail here what these turned out to be (it's not the point of the review) but needless to say I complained to the maître d (we'd been upgraded!) who was visibly shocked and said he'd fetch me another. I said I'd rather not but asked for another glass of wine (to calm me down).

Given that the meal had been a complete disaster from the restaurants point of view (and ours!) I was surprised when they brought me the bill... "we haven't charged you for your meal Sir"... how kind (!) but they had charged me for my partners and for an extra bottle of wine rather than the glass I'd ordered. I laughed, the maître d laughed nervously... "I'll just get that changed for you Sir". He brought the bill back, helpfully having corrected it to a £6 glass of wine.

I've been in restaurants where minor kitchen mistakes have led to us eating for free.... and being apologised to profusely. Here, although the staff were fully aware of how bad their mistakes had been, their apologies were fleeting and like they just wanted us to leave and make the whole situation go away. I should have complained more but, to be honest, I just wanted to get out as quickly as possible too.

I would never eat there again. Ever. And I would just about abide the attitude of the staff to go there for a drink in the garden - it really is that beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ed B

Been to The Griffin Inn? Share your experiences!