“Extremely disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Houston Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A local pub in Houston, Scotland, UK.
renfrewshire
“Extremely disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Left a bad review previously but it strangley vanished. Hmmmm....

Visited with family and each meal was extememy poor. Fish pie with hardly any fish and fish & chips coated in grease. Steak was ok but nothing special. We all felt a bit sick after the meal to be honest.

Staff were also very slow and no atmosphere on a Saturday night.

WILL NOT BE RETURNING!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Have eaten in this pub/restaurant on and off many times over the years. The quality and service we have received on each visit has always been very hit and miss as they seem to be continually changing either the menu or kitchen staff. After this latest visit we will definitely not be returning. Had a 45 minute wait for our meal and even then it only arrived after we had asked at the bar when it would be coming. The food arrived in stages, with two of us being served before the others which meant that our meal was getting cold before the rest of the party was served. The food, when it arrived, was acceptable but no more. The steak pie was good, I believe, but the burgers were very poor - I had difficulty finding the blue cheese which was supposed to be in one! Such a shame because when we first 'found' this local eatery (some 20 years) we were delighted with both the food and the staff. For many years this remained the case but in the past 4 years the establishment has definitely not lived up to our previous experiences.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank jazi13
Scotland
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I decided to have lunch with friends at the Houston Inn as it had been recommended. I was very disappointed, especially since one of our company was entertaining us and did not know the area or the establishments so was acting on my recommendation.

I'm not sure if they were caught out by increased demand on a sunny Easter Monday but it certainly did not encourage us to return or recommend them to anyone else. It was obvious that they were busy since the popular restaurant across the road is closed on a Monday and when we entered we were directed to a table towards the rear which was pleasant and secluded from others and ideal for a pleasant meal and conversation. Noticing that it was busy we made some allowances but after twenty minutes I had to go and remind staff that we were there.

The starters were good, a mixed pakora consisting of three pieces of pakora could have been considered stingy but we let it go since it was only a starter. However, when the mains arrived we found that the two who had been served scampi received six small pieces each with a plate full of chips. It would have been better if they had admitted they were running out, if that were the case, and served only one as I would hate to think that was their normal portion. A mixed grill consisted of a mix of small pieces of meat spread about the plate but when it came to eating the beef it was hard to cut into and I then had the embarrassment of having to spit it back out as it was all gristle and I couldn't chew it. At that point I complained and the staff removed the plate and the manageress(?) admitted that the beef was inedible and removed the mixed grill from the bill.

I often eat out in the area entertaining business contacts and would have considered these premises since the ambience is good if you want a nice pub atmosphere. However, they let themselves down severely and I will not return in case I have a similar experience, especially since there are other excellent eating establishments nearby.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelScot94
Houston, United Kingdom
“Very friendly and they let you take dogs in while you eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Can't say I'm overwhelmed by the food but the chef has recently changed so lets hope for the best. We love the fact we can take our dog into the bar and have a meal with her beside us. Not many places you can do that

Visited March 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best in Houston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Having recently had a poor experience in the Fox & Hounds i thought i'd give the Houston Inn a try, I wasn't disappointed, the service and atmosphere were first class and the food excellent too, all in all a good experience and i'll be back. thanks again to the friendly staff; made my night,,,

• Visited March 2014