“A bit so so”

The Houston Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Houston
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A local pub in Houston, Scotland, UK.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Houston Inn is one of three establishments in Houston.

A group of us visited, as I'm trying to increase my list of good eateries in the area. We arrived in the pub, which was quite busy and stepped through to the restaurant area.

After looking through the menu, I selected the Haddock Mornay, whilst one of my friends had the Haddock and Chips.

They arrived and, to be quite honest, were pretty average. The haddock comprised of three small pieces, whilst the haddock was smoked. something that was not indicated on the menu.

All in all pretty disappointing. Rather expensive for what it was, More deserving of bar food, at bar food prices, rather than restaurant fayre. I can quite understand why it is the second best of the two establishments in the village.

1  Thank MalvolioCheshire

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Lower type of pub. Not that special inside. Food was pedestrian, nothing out of the ordinary. Expensive for what it was. Disappointed.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The pub has two dining areas: an informal casual bar setting or a more formal restaurant. My party of four opted for the latter and dined in an understated compact room allowing for around 30 covers. The restaurant advertises local produce which is evident from the menu and home style cooking which is clear from the very ample servings. I would not recommend you visit this restaurant after a heavy meal as the portions are presented well and are large in size with the only exception from this description being our nachos starter which was light on nachos but had ample (&excellent ) chilli and salsa sauce. My partner had goats cheese tarlet which was both delicious and would have passed as a main course in other establishments. For mains the party stuck to the traditional pub fayre of burger, scampi and pizza mains. The first two items were both very good and did I mention ample in size. Only issue on the main is that the pizza comes in one size and there was no option for a children's portion. As happy and very satisfied diners, only my daughter had the courage and per planning to consider a sweet with the hot chocolate fudge with ice cream being very tasty.
Service was like the portions plenty and seemingly always there. We had our choice of around three servers who were there with a smile at all times to make it a very enjoyable experience.
From my visit, this seems a very solid pub restaurant - on this occasion we did not venture into the gastro pub style menu dishes but from perusal of the other diners dishes - come on we all do it- the salmon looked especially attractive.
Overall good quality pub restaurant caters for families and friendly pub attached
No doubt we will be visiting again soon

2  Thank Jack T
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Two weeks ago my husband and I popped into the Houston Inn for lunch, I would have given 5 stars that day, lovely atmosphere in the lounge area, food really nice, resonably priced good Customer Service. Went along again for evening meal with my family on Friday night, it was a bit dissapointing, food was okay although elaborately presented, steaks which should have been medium cooked were well done and served on a wooden board rather than a plate. I would have sent it back and asked for a plate however my husband did not want to cause a fuss even though he hated eating off the board. The ambience in the restaurant was not good, lighting too bright, really dull walls and tables against both walls in a sort of galley style. Obviously a lot of money has gone into the decor of this establishment but they need to reassess the layout of the tables in the restaurant to make it more appealing for evening diners, and have some mood lighting rather then bright ceiling lights. Customer Service was very good and the price was reasonable however I would rather have paid a wee bit more for cosier setting. On the whole, for lunch I would return but not for an evening out.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I love that the Houston Inn has decided to return to decent pub food and drop the Indian experiment.

Decent grub with homemade patties in the burgers. Never a fan of the tower burger but it was quick to disassemble and remove the onion rings and such.

The beer selection is not the best - mainly Scottish lagers and ales.

I am definitely coming back - the live music nights look very interesting.

Well done on returning to a great village pub with good food.

2  Thank JCampbell443