“Wow! Really special!”

40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Wow! Really special!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I had heard about Burton Agnes and passed it many times but this was my first visit. It is one of the most incredible old halls I have come across. Although it was built in 1598, and has all the character of an Elizabethan manor, it was very far ahead of its time, being spacious, light, with good sized rooms, and a very wide staircase, almost giving the impression of a house built in later , say, Georgian times. The gardens are a delight, with rows of clipped yew trees and a lovely lake and fountain, and there is so much to see in the house in the way of pictures and artifacts, which I regret we hadn't time to investigate further. The long Gallery at the top of the house is spectacular, and I understand that that part of the building provided a last defence in case of attack, though the family(or families) who occupied the place over the centuries since they acquired the estate must have been clever in retaining it safely, as it has never been sold, but rather transferred within branches of the family since eleven hundred and goodness knows when. There are also the remains of the original manor which was built for serious defence, but seemed in remarkably good order. I don't think Cromwell got around to knocking it about a bit. It is still a family home, and I have to admit to a degree of envy.
We didn't visit the restaurant but it seemed very popular.
Do visit them!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Derry J

York, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A real gem”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I visited this beautiful house and garden with my pensioner parents and pre-teen daughter and we found a place to keep everyone happy. As it was a glorious day we picniced in the peaceful picnic area alongside the car park then explored the gardens. Grandma and grandaughter got lost in the maze then reunited we loved the oversized games in the colour gardens - noughts and crosses, snakes and ladders and chess to name a few kept all of us happy. By mid-afternoon it was very hot so replenished by an ice cream we ventured into the woods seeking shade and the woodland trail! House and beautiful gardens are not to be missed.

Winsford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“What a lovely day out”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

If I'd taken my book I could have stayed all day. Glorious sunny day, tranquil gardens, scrumptious food and a stunning house. Knowledgeable and friendly staff welcomed us. Everyone was relaxed and went out of their way to make you feel like you were in your own back yard! Thank you for a fantastic day. I will be back.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“History & Ghosts!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

For a little known country house this is a gem! I had visited as a child, (many years ago!), but had forgotten the history that this house holds as well as its many treasures. If you have a question there is always a local historian close by to oblige and if you like a ghost story, ask about the skull in the wall!! There are special events at Christmas and Easter but you need to check the exact dates. Well worth a stop off on your way to the coast and a walk around the gardens.

Visited August 2013
Hull, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“great afternoon with the family!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We visited Burton Agnes this afternoon on a gloriously hot and sunny summer's day- we paid £9 for each adult, £4.50 for our 10 year old and our 3 year old went free. Plenty of free parking directly outside the Hall. We had a fab time and spent approx 4 hours exploring the Hall and grounds. You get a free kids worksheet, with things to spot as you work your way through grounds.The kids loved the woodland trail, with its wooden sculptures to spot and had fun getting lost in the maze and playing on the giant board games. I would suggest that if you have younger children like us, you try and go on a dry day as you would not get your money's worth if you were unable to make use of the outside activities. As expected the cafe/ ice cream van was quite pricey ( we took a picnic so didn't use the cafe) but the food we saw looked lovely and fresh.
I have to also say a special thank you to the lovely tour guide who was based in the long gallery - she very kindly took the time to personally help my son find the hidden animals concealed in the plaster ceiling, he has talked about this all the way home!

Visited July 2014