“Good fun”

Burton Agnes Hall
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The easter hunt here is a great family afternoon out. Love that they do marmite sandwiches for kids!!

There are newer reviews for Burton Agnes Hall

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was really looking forward to visiting Burton Agnes Hall with my husband and little girl. I have been to Alnick Castle and really enjoyed it, so I was looking for something similar. The photos are really impressive on the website, and when we arrived, we realised there was a gardening event on. When we parked and walked to the gate, we paid £12.00 for entry into the gardens, but we were confused as to whether this was for the garden entry, or the garden fair entry. There were many stalls set up selling various gardening products which was fine. We were a little hungry so decided to head straight for the cafe. Unfortunately, the queue was really long and there were no seats outside as it was a warm day. We decided to sit inside, and so I took the pram in to find a table, whilst my husband queued. The table was difficult to get to with a pram as they were quite crammed together. When I sat down, the table had crumbs all over it, so I had to use a babywipe to clean it. Also there were so many flies around. I know that the windows were open as it was a hot day, but there were five blue-bottles that were all round us meaning we had to constantly watch our food when it came. We ordered a scone with jam and cream, which they gave us straight away, and we also ordered two ham and cheese paninis, which came later as they were heated to order. Although the scone was nice, the cream must have been sitting out, or put on the plate with a cake knife, as it had what can only be described as a 'crust' on it.We ate round it though as we were so hungry. The paninis then came, and they were ok. The ham on them was nice. The problem was that there were no forks (my husband managed to get hold of one later, which I told him to use) which meant I had to pick up salad with my hands. Not good at all especially since it was £18.00 for lunch!

After lunch, we had a walk in the garden and maze, which were really nice (a bit hard to push the pram round in some areas) but it was really interesting looking at the vast range of flowers and plants they have managed to grow. The lawned area is beautiful and we sat down near the water feature which was lovely. We then decided to go into the house, which cost approximately £3.00 each. The house itself, although nice from the outside, was lacklustre once inside. There was not much information in each room- a couple of boards with maybe 40 words or so. The paint on the windowsills was peeling in places and it looked a bit worse-for wear. I know the property is old, but I think small details like this let it down. There was one room that is apparently 'haunted'- I heard a member of staff explain this to a couple (which I find ridiculous, personally, but each to their own I suppose) and which I suspect is lore designed solely to attract interest. Upon leaving the house we went to the portable loos at the side of the house. There was no loo roll which was the final disappointment really. It is such a shame as I really was looking forward to this visit, but it is just too overpriced and the standards and cleanliness in the resaurant are too poor for me to give any more than two stars.

3  Thank LMiller1
Reviewed May 19, 2012

If you are looking for something to do when on hols on the east coast this is well worth a look. Perhaps not ideal for younger kids but its a lovely country estate/stately home sort of thing but with fantastic features. There is a nice shop and gardens with the house, and the village is nice. Short ride to the seaside - with busy resorts like Bridlington and smaller beaches like Frasithrope very local. Good day out.

1  Thank Robin S
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I took my kids and a selection of cousins over the summer, they really enjoyed the walled themed garden. A good day out

1  Thank s-teal67
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Took small children at Christmas, was really special - lifelike (slightly spooky) Father Christmas at the top of the house, reading the children's letters. Beautiful house with unbelievable art work. Beware if you're psychic though, you will be magnetically drawn to one bedroom in particular. Ghostly, although you can always avoid the rooms that make you feel uncomfortable of course. Lovely tea room too.