“5 STAR HOLIDAY”
Review of Kilham Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilham
Kilham Hall
Ranked #2 of 2 Kilham B&B and Inns
Attleborough, United Kingdom
“5 STAR HOLIDAY”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife Jane, our Boxer Winny and I have just returned from a fortnight stay at South Lodge Kilham Hall. What a wonderful time we had in luxurious accommodation and stunning surroundings. Our hosts Joanne and David could not have been more helpful and welcoming whilst affording us our privacy, Willow was a beautiful visitor each day to the cottage back door - lovely! We have been to many places worldwide over the years but both agree that this would rank high among our top five holidays of all time. Congratulations to both Joanne and David, how lucky you are to live in one of the most unspoilt and picturesque parts of England which somehow managed to transport me back to my childhood and memories of how life used to be. I am sure we shall be re-booking another stay.

Shane.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Kilham Hall for a weekend in September. On arrival we were greeted at the door by Joanne who instantly made us feel welcome. She led us to our room, the Fairfax where we were greeted by a gorgeous 4 post bed and magnificent view, and explained about all its features and it was lovely there was music playing as we entered which set the mood .The bathroom was stunning with a large walk in shower and heated floor, to be honest everything was perfect, the music the whole set up. We were then given time to make ourself at home and join Joanne and her husband David downstairs for tea and homemade scones. We have eaten in many lovely places but these scones were the incredible! We discussed the area and things to do, places to eat etc. As we had not booked anywhere to eat that evening Joanne recommended The Bluebell in Weaverthrope, she also book us a table, and as we both wanted to have a drink she tried to book a taxi for us. We then went back up to our room to get ready for the evening. Half an hour later, Joanne knocked on the door to say she was unable to find us a taxi and would personally drive us to the restaurant! (Even though we insisted we drove ourselves). After returning from our gorgeous meal we were greeted by Joanne and David who ensured if there was anything we needed that it would be avaliable. We went upstairs to the beautiful bedroom, slept well in the four post bed, and then came breakfast which was outstanding! We were both amazed at the quality and amount of food provided. Joanne prides herself on using local produce and so she should it was lovely, the best breakfast we have tasted there were cereals, juices, smoothies, fresh fruit, yoghurts, homemade bread, toast, tea, coffee, and a choice of cooked breakfast each morning I ate so much before the hot breakfast I went with poached egg on toast even though I really wanted to try the full english but my choice was lovely cooked and served to perfection. Unfortunately we learned during the afternoon that we would have to leave early on our final morning as my boyfriend had been called into work which meant leaving at 6:30am. We told Joanne and David who were extremely accommodating, when we woke up and went downstairs in the morning we found Joanne had laid out a selection of cereals, juices, fruit, nuts and left the toaster with some bread. We cant thank them enough for a truly amazing weekend and are sorry we had to cut our final morning short. If your looking for comfort, great food a beautiful setting with amazing hosts and the perfect room for a romantic get away then I would strongly reccomend here. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steph K
Derbyshire
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We agree with MLRNW3's review, so won't repeat it. But will add ... Towels, robes, and slippers provided for when you use the pool (which we did).
Biggest problem ... what to choose from the exceptional breakfast buffet and cooked breakfast menu!
Cross with self for forgetting my(size 8 1/2) tennis shoes! Joanne & David can offer the loan of raquets.
Will definitely visit again/recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Fairfax room overlooks the tennis court and fields beyond. It has foorposter bed, and one of the po...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Me & my husband have just got back from a weekend at kilham hall for our honeymoon! We stayed in the sledmere suit which is beautiful and perfect for honeymooners as it has a bath built for two, we could have easily have stayed there for weeks. When we arrived we was greeted by Joanne who instantly made you feel very welcome and at home with her home made scones with tea and orange which are very yummy! The breakfasts are out of this world with home made bread, fruit, cereals, fresh juices, toast and then whatever your choice is from the menu for a hot breakfast. we had the english breakfast and the scrambled egg with salmon while we was there and they was both fantastic and would highly recommend both. Joanne is one of many things that sets this place above all the other hotels and holidays we have ever been on as nothing is too much trouble and she is always on hand to help you. We will no doubt be going back to kilham hall again and again in the future to see Joanne and her dog willow :) Thankyou Joanne!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have stayed in many Michelin starred establishments but this one is right up there with the best, you can have all the fancy interior design you like but if the hosts/proprietors don't love what they're doing and indeed 'like' people, it will show. The thing is, this place has the beautiful interiors and hosts who obviously love what they're doing and are very good at it. I am fussy and i mean fussy but try as i might, i couldn't find anything to be negative about and it was immaculately clean. We booked two en suite rooms, The Fairfax and the Harewood, the former had no bath but a large walk in shower and a four poster bed, the latter, a free standing spa bath and enclosed shower. The attention to detail was astonishing, music playing, candles, fresh fruit, White Company toiletries, fresh scones and tea on arrival, a glass of wine in the evening i could go on...

And so to breakfast, a proper menu with a comprehensive selection of dishes, i sampled the full English and the Haddock & poached egg, both faultless; prior to both dishes i visited the buffet table, beautifully set out with cereals, nuts, dried fruit, yoghurt and fresh fruit. The table is completed with tea, coffee, toast, jams and freshly baked bread, i have had breakfast at several 'Michelin' hotels and this was better.

Finally the location, The house is in a lovely village and offers a tennis court, swimming pool and croquet lawn for use by the guests, it's in an ideal location for visiting the east coast, numerous village pubs and restaurants, walking the enormous beach at nearby Fraisthorpe and a bit of shopping in nearby Beverley.

We had a lovely relaxing stay and i would wholeheartedly recommend this country house to anyone.

Room Tip: I would always choose the Harewood room as i prefer having a bath to shower.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

To remain completely unbiased I have not read any of the previous reviews so this is the combined opinions of our party of four who stayed at Kilham Hall on 13 and 14 July 2012. We are two couples who are good friends and we have travelled extensively round the country and also round the world together, and in our opinion Joanne and David's hospitality is second to none. To put it in a nutshell, Kilham Hall is a very hard act to follow.

Joanne welcomed us with a very big smile after we had driven a long way from London in heavy traffic and even heavier rain. The scones and tea were delicious and after a few minutes' conversation with Joanne we felt so relaxed it was as if we had arrived at our own country home.

If we owned our own home in the country, we would like it to be as peaceful and as beautifully appointed as Kilham Hall. It is clear that a lot of thought has gone into every aspect of the house and the hospitality.

It would take a very long time to decribe our experience, and to do it justice, you really ought to visit yourself, so I will just describe breakfast to give you a snapshot. The combined opinion of the four of us is that this is one of the the best breakfasts we have had in any hotel we have stayed in. On a side table Joanne sets out a beautiful and generous selection of fruits, muesli and yogurts, and in addition to juice and coffee/ tea, there is a choice of hot breakfasts which Joanne personally cooks for you. Between us and over two days, we had the full hearty Yorkshire breakfast (the men) and a pared down version by choice (the women). We also tried the scrambled eggs with smoked salmon on a toasted muffin, and a weekend special which that day was crisp bacon and roasted tomatoes on toasted muffin with a side of tomato chutney. Everything we ate was of top quality and this made for such a good start to the day that it was almost a shame to have to leave the table.

Having left the breakfast table we had a choice of 'staying at home' to swim, play tennis, have a round of croquet, read, sleep or have Joanne arrange an in-room beauty treatment such as a manicure or pedicure or even a massage.

However we did not stay but went out for the day, to explore the beautiful and undiscovered Yorkshire Wolds. In particular, we brought along our book of paintings by David Hockney (from his exhibition 'A Bigger Picture') and had a magnificent time trying to match the paintings to the actual scenery. Who would have thought you could derive so much fun from trying to look for tree stumps, road signs, clumps of trees and the odd farmhouse? Or seeing if the 'Road to York through Sledmere' really throws up the quirky monuments and houses featured in the painting (it does).

When we returned to Kilham Hall, Joanne was ready with a chilled glass of wine for us, and David chatted to us about grass cutting - you have to see the beautiful lawns to appreciate the care that goes into the gardening. There are a few places to eat around the area but we would suggest you drive to the Pipe and Glass Inn in Beverley. Once again, the four of us dine out together regularly and we feel this is one of the best meals we have had during our holidays in Yorkshire.

The bedrooms and bathrooms are generously sized and there are CDs and DVDs for you to borrow, or you can enjoy a luxurous bath before 'hitting the sack' (I am not English so I think this is a very amusing phrase).

We feel that Joanne and David have thought of everything a guest might need for a relaxing holiday and have presented it with minimum fuss and with understated elegance. So much so that after we left Kilham, we continued comparing Kilham Hall to the places we have stayed in before and (sadly) to the place we next stayed at. If you have very played 'Fantasy Country House' you would know what I mean.

Finally we would like to say thank you to Joanne and David for making our stay so comfortable and so relaxing. We hope to return soon.

p/s: we would like you to know that we have stayed in some pretty uninspiring places in Yorkshire and elsewhere round the country and abroad. We do not want to write reviews for these places because it is such a waste of time. Not every experience is like the one we had at Kilham Hall!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. My advice would be to do some homework on where you want to eat or take...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MLRNW3
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My boyfriend liam and I visited kilham hall over Easter weekend. When we arrived we were greeted at the door by joanne who seated us and gave us tea and scones and I have eaten in many lovely places but these scones were the best I had ever had I would revisit just for them! We discussed the area and things to do places to eat etc we had already booked tables at the Wellington inn Lund and the Pipe and glass both of which are well worth the visit. We were shown to our room and it was lovely there was music playing as we entered which set the mood . The bathroom was stunning to be honest everything was perfect the view the music the whole set up. Every time we went downstairs we were met with Joanne the chef Joanne the hostess Joanne and the lovely dog not forgetting to mention her lovely husband david who was also just as charming. We visited the beaches and had lovely drives on Joanne's recommendation. We slept well and then came breakfast! My boyfriend is a trained chef and a very good one and we were both amazed at the quality and amount of food provided. Joanne prides herself on using local produce and so she should it was lovely, the best breakfast I have tasted ( sorry Liam) there were cereals juices, smoothies, fresh fruit, yoghurts, homemade bread, toast, tea, coffee, and a choice of cooked breakfast each morning I ate so much before the hot breakfast I had to stick with poached egg or scrambled even though I really wanted to try the full english but my choice was lovely cooked and served to perfection. At night when we came in Joanne was there to greet us talking about our evening, she was a perfect hostess and made us feel at home and very well looked after. All in all this was a perfect weekend an important one for us as my boyfriend was off on tour to afghan a few weeks after so the trip needed to be just right and it was we didn't want to leave! If your looking for comfort, great food a beautiful setting with amazing hosts and the perfect room for a romantic get away then I would strongly reccomend here. I don't revisit many places as like to experience others but I can assure you we will be back here. And I personally just can't wait!

Room Tip: We stayed in the harewood, comfy with a bath in a huge window a very romantic room we thought
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vickytcheshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilham
Best Western The Bell In Driffield
The Old Mill Hotel & Restaurant
St Quintin Arms Inn
St Quintin Arms Inn
#1 of 17 in Driffield

Been to Kilham Hall? Share your experiences!