“Great value family getaway w direct access to quiet beach”

Ramada Resort Diamond Beach
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Diamond Beach
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Booked a last minute stay during Easter school holidays, costing A$195/night for a 2 Bed 'Spa' Apartment.

RECEPTION

We had a warm, friendly welcome on arrival and without us asking, they called the cleaners and found us a room that was ready so we could check in earlier. I also called them a couple of times to book in the Tennis court and ask about the Foxtel - they were consistently friendly and with a 'can do' attitude.

ACCOMMODATION

Remember, you're not paying Sheraton prices, so don't go expecting 5 star accommodation. The apartments are made on a budget to keep it at a budget price, so the paper thin walls didn't really come as a surprise, but it was good that our apartment was freestanding so we didn't need to worry about noisy kids upsetting the neighbours.

The rooms were tastefully decorated [again on a budget], and had good, clean facilities: fisher & paykel fridge-freezer, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher and a convection microwave oven. The little Weber BBQ on the deck was a nice touch. They really could do with new curtains and blinds though - there was no privacy in the lounge room in the evening due to the rather unclean net curtains being completely see through when the lights are on; and the blinds are those *really* cheap metal things that have gone rusty. They'd be better off investing in some decently wooden blinds that will last longer / stay cleaner.

Our villa (E-6) was one row back from the pool/beach which meant we had a view of the cabin in front of us. We'd ask for a villa in the front row by the pool/beach next time (think they might be called 'Beach Houses'?), however it was only a couple of steps to the pool and beach.

POOL/BEACH

The pool was very cold but a good design with one side having a gentle slope to enter into it (great for toddlers), and the other end deep with steps entry, great for adults. There is also a good sized grass area within the pool fence for toddlers to play around in.

The beautiful and quiet [but un-patrolled] 6km Diamond Beach was literally a few steps away from the pool. It hit 29C when we were there yet was still quiet enough to ride our bikes from one end of the beach to the other, stopping to have a dip in the gentle surf a few times along the way (nb: friends said it was quite rough surf a few days earlier but it was quite gentle and shallow during our stay).

It really was the pool and beach that made the stay so enjoyable for us as we're not keen on busy beaches regardless of how beautiful they are!

TENNIS COURT

Good clean tennis court. Well loved but not completely run into the ground.

3 NIPPERS (ON-SITE) RESTAURANT

We stopped in for Happy Hour sunset cocktails (4-6pm every night - $9 each vs $12 standard) and ended up eating here too. In line with the rest of the resort, it's a quiet little place but staff are again friendly and welcoming.

We ordered the Salmon with wasabi mash which came with bok choi, pickled cucumber and seaweed, for around $30 - I loved it. Salmon was very fresh and a huge piece and the flavours were right up my street. We also ordered trio of dips which were tasty but fairly basic, for ~$10, and a calamari entree which was again fresh, lightly dusted, and a fairly large size portion for ~$16. All in all it was an enjoyable meal and I would recommend eating here (particularly because you don't have to drive anywhere either) but again, remember to set your expectations in line with where you are - service will be more casual than your 5 star hotels, and you won't get the same bells and whistles, but you will get friendly service and a decent tasting meal.

WHAT'S ON

OK, so this is where it'll make or break some people's holidays I think. If you're the type of people that enjoy being entertained, rather than creating the entertainment yourself, this place may not be your thing - there is nothing to do without taking a 20min drive into Forster.

There is only one other restaurant that we could find open [during the week] and that was a Bowling Club in Black Head that looked very basic [like your typical Aussie bowlo] but was absolutely packed -- probably because the prices were super cheap ($20 steaks, $5 kids meals) and that there aren't any other places to go! Big Boys Pizza is nearest to the resort and seemed to have good TripAdvisor reports, but was closed during our stay.

We were only there for 2 nights / 3 days, and whilst the peace and quiet was what we wanted (and got), I don't think we could do a whole week there without getting bored. I'd recommend bringing family board games -- we forgot ours so bought a pack of cards which kept us entertained for one of the nights.

OVERALL

GREAT FOR: families on a budget who want a little 'family time' in a peaceful area and are happy to make their own entertainment. Even better for 2+ families travelling together.

NOT IDEAL FOR: those who like to be right in the middle of the action; those who don't want to cater for themselves.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JenBewes

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Have just returned after a peaceful stay in a two bedroom garden villa at this resort. It had excellent pools, walk to beach and bicycle hire facilities.

We were perhaps misled by the word 'Resort' as we expected 'resort' standards. There was no housekeeping in the three days we stayed there. We were told that as it was a self contained apartment we should have expected no housekeeping. Sorry, we were misled by your terminology.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a garden villa for what was our second visit to the resort. Our last was five years ago and I would say without doubt that the lounges and the curtains to name a few things are the exact same ones judging by the state of them. On the whole we really enjoyed out stay but the villa felt a little run down. Several lights were out giving it a dark feel. The curtains were ripped and extremely thin. The lounges were worn and a generally a bit tatty. Having said all that the value for money was good overall the villa was ok but could be made a lot better with some maintenance and new curtains and lounges.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 bedroom garden villa. It was fantastic for us with ensuite bathrooms for each bedroom. Excellent lagoon style pool just steps from the beach. Perfect for families with kids. We ate in 3 Nippers restaurant (12 of us). The food was fantastic. Overall a great place for our family catch-up. We loved it and will definitely be back!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Resort_Operator, General Manager at Ramada Resort Diamond Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Hi Isalotte4

Thankyou for taking the time to leave a review following your visit on the weekend. We are glad to hear that you had a great stay. Our resort pool continues to be popular with all our guests.

I will pass on your feedback to the restaurant staff to let them know you thought the food was fantastic. They really strive to deliver great food in a welcoming and easy going setting and will appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to you visiting with us again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was the third time I had stayed there after acquiring another voucher a bit hesitantly. I went in March 2014 mid week. The place had approx 30% capacity. I arrived Monday just after 2pm and went into reception. Was greeted with indifference, the only time I did get a smile of any semblance was when I walked out. I asked if any chance of an upgrade, I even asked how much to upgrade, ie. I wasn't asking for a freebie. I was told that there was nothing available because the accommodation I was enquiring after hadn't been cleaned yet. Totally appalling front desk service. The whole time I was there only 1 beachfront apartment was occupied, all the others were left vacant. I was willing to pay for goodness sake !!! Then discover that Foxtel Movies wasn't working, rang down to front desk, oh yeah we know about that the technician was supposed to come weeks ago (guess what, he turned up just as I was leaving !!), this should however been mentioned at check in - ie. oh by the way Foxtel movies isn't working, we know about it and am trying to get it fixed ASAP, would have been the right way to deal with it. No apologies, no discount, nothing - shouldn't have to chase these things up management !! Yes the couches are tiny and scratchy. The curtains in the lounge are see through when the lights are on. The place needs a bit of maintenance to bring it up to scratch, it looks like nothing has been painted or replaced in quite a while. Under new management with Ramada and was hoping things had improved. It looks like money is an issue. Hey I was willing to give you some extra $$ but you turned me down. When I departed I took the key in and said I'm checking out, response was "see you next time" - my reply was "goodbye" !!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Fuffel
Resort_Operator, General Manager at Ramada Resort Diamond Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear Fuffell,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We welcome feedback and criticism where warranted if we fail top deliver on guest expectations.
You have raised a number of issues in your review, with my responses being as follows:

Poor customer service has no place in our industry but more importantly no place in our resort. We pride ourself on our customer service and all staff are trained in the ethos of "if something is physically possible then we will always try to meet any request." I have spoken to the receptionist on shift when you checked in to reinforce appropriate customer service and creating a warm and inviting environment. If this wasn't what you experienced then I apologise and I can understand your disappointment.

We often have guests that secure discounted accommodation offers in the market place and then come to site and try to get a significant upgrade, mostly as a freebie but sometimes, as seems to be the case with your stay, with an offer to pay a higher tariff. Wherever possible we try to accommodate these requests but sometimes we are just not able to. Generally, this is if the preferred accommodation that has not been booked but requested once onsite are out of use due to seasonal repairs and maintenance. We are a very high occupancy resort and the beachfront beach houses that you requested to be upgraded to are our most sort after accommodation. This means we do need to 3-4 times a year take them out of rental usage for a week or two for maintenance and upgrades. This was the case during your stay, with these beachfront beach houses being repaired and painted. Sorry we were unable to upgrade you during your stay and on any other week we probably would have been able to do so.

In relation to the Foxtel & Wifi services that we offer to all our guests free of charge, given the nature of technology, there will be the odd occasion when these free services are not available or perhaps not fully available for short periods of time. During your stay a foxtel technical issue meant that only 6, rather than our normal 10 channels were operational. We did allocate these channels equally between sport and movie channels to offer the widest range of viewing. If you were unable to watch something of your preference during your stay I apologise but there are some things I can have very little control over.

Your comments in relation to the standard of the accommodation is noted but a little puzzling. My wife & I purchased the resort in mid December 2013 and have a extensive program in place for upgrades and improvements for a range of villas. The villa you stayed in has already been upgraded, with re-polished timber floors, internal repaint, new carpet, new blinds & new Weber bbq. You are correct that the front curtains on the glass door have not been changed but that is about the only thing that hasn't. If the standard of the villa was not to your expectations I apologise but it would appear that despite the fact you have returned a couple of times, this resort may just not be for you.

We have had many thousands of guests through the resort over the past months, many of whom are regular repeat customers but there are always a small portion that don't choose to come back. We wish you all the best with your future holidays and trust that you can find a destination that is more to your liking than our resort.

Regards

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed recently in one of the beach houses, upon entry i was greeted with dirty walls, filthy oven, crumbs still on the bench tops from previous occupants, dust, the feel of gritty sand under foot, blood splatter on one of the pillows, broken blinds. I should have walked out and demanded my money back, yes my mistake. I was contacted by email a few days later asking me how i enjoyed my stay, after telling of my disappointment i received and email from manager Mathew Wooldridge making excuses that it had been a busy season and that if i felt my stay had been so disappointing i should contact him to discuss a refund. I have now called twice and still no reply to my calls.
I WILL NEVER BE BACK and NEVER RECOMMEND!!!

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Scottjh73
Resort_Operator, General Manager at Ramada Resort Diamond Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Scottjh73

We have received and read your review and whilst we actively encourage all our guests to take the time to jump on trip advisor and leave a review from their stay, we find it disappointing when guests choose trip advisor as a forum to, in our opinion, unjustifiably criticise the resort.

We never claim to be perfect and sometimes the resort has not delivered in a particular area whether that be service, cleanliness or price. And when we have failed to uphold our side of the deal we are happy to acknowledge our failings and rectify as required.

It is very difficult as a manager to deal with issues if they are not raised during the stay or at the very least on departure. But at no time during this stay were any issues raised with staff or myself. If the standard of cleanliness were as claimed then I would have had it rectified immediately or arranged for a move to an alternate beach house.

When the first contact or reporting of issues is after guests have left the resort it makes it hard to determine the exact extent of the problem. In this instance a number of issues and complaints were made in conjunction with comments about refunds and trip advisor reviews.

I inspected the beach house immediately upon receiving the initial email but could find no evidence of some of the issues raised, whilst some others were more difficult to determine if they related to the recent stay in question or were there prior to that stay.

I note the small number of photos that have been attached to this review. It is difficult to determine exactly whether these photos were taken from within the beach house during the recent stay or not, but regardless, it is more difficult to deal with things not identified during the stay or prior to the guests leaving our site.

It is always disappointing when we have a guest visit that ends in such an unpleasant way. We wish you all the best with your future holidays an trust you can identify a holiday destination that is more aligned to your expectations for your next stay.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Went on a spur of the moment trip to ramada diamond beach resort last week. Three couples in a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom beach house. Great location over looking pool and beach. Great pool beautiful beach but surf was a bit rough. We ate at the resort every night great food and service. A big thank you to Penny at the 3 nippers restaurant For great service.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan H

Susan H

Thankyou for taking the time to provide some feedback from your recent stay with us. We are glad that the resort met with your expectations and that you and your friends had an enjoyable time.

I have passed on your thanks to Penni and her restaurant team, with such feedback reinforcing to them why they continue to strive to deliver exceptional customer service.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Regards

#2 of 9 in Forster
Seashells Beachfront Resort
Seashells Beachfront Resort
#1 of 1 in Diamond Beach

Been to Ramada Resort Diamond Beach? Share your experiences!