“Best Relaxation Holiday Ever! - Will definitely return”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Best Relaxation Holiday Ever! - Will definitely return”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

We have just returned from a blissful 6 day stay. From the first minute to the last, it was a wonderful, relaxing experience and I'm sure we will return again next year. I had read the previous comments but was very pleased we did not have similar experience to those who were dissatisfied.

Red Level: The north end of the resort is Gran Melia's up-market Red Level area for adults only. It includes all the top end features and services one would expect including it's own reception, exceptional staff, butler services, lounge (in+outdoor), business centre, salt-water swimming pool and lush lawn with palm trees, ocean view, lounge chairs and free Bali beds. Every evening from 6-8pm, there was a complimentary bar and snacks to enjoy while watching the sunset. Red Level also includes a large Jacuzzi on the balcony which will be prepared for you on request. There is little privacy in the tubs except for top floor (but careful ;-) still not totally private). For the ultimate accomodation, there are six villas with large gardens, private pools, indoor Jacuzzi - large and very luxurious. We toured one and would highly recommend it to anyone for a special occasion.

Location: the resort is about 40 minute drive from the south airport and far enough from anything that would cause a disturbance. The planes don't fly overhead, no drunken yobs or noisy clubs. We rented a car with the tought of exploring the island but those thoughts completely disappeared once we were inside the resort.

Amenities: the spa is fantastic! We had deep tissue massages, facial and Indian head massage. The facility is very impressive and the therapists were skilled and knowledgeable. The treatments helped us temporarily rid ourselves of London stress.

Food: We chose the half-board option which I would highly recommend. The food is excellent and alternatives are either expensive or outside the resort. Generally, I do not like buffets and had serious reservations about paying for half-board when I might not use it. I was very happy to find the buffet was full of options from cold, to warm or cooked while you wait options. It was quite funny to see one person grumble about the chips - why eat chips when there is fresh fish, a choice of roasts, cute local wrinkly potatos and far too much to list. After 5 dinners, I was still not able to try all the delicious options. I don't like having the same thing repeatedly, but this buffet would keep me happy for a couple weeks quite easily - at least until I reach the limit of my waistbands. This is a first for me and buffets.

We loved the whole experience which was made quite special by the attentive staff who all appear to enjoy their jobs.

To pick things we didn't like is not impossible, but there is little to mention.
-Smoking policy - there is one stated in the hotel directory, although it is not enforced. There weren't many smokers, but they do light up next to diners and children with little regard for the non-smoking majority.
- The Pangea restaurant was usually well populated with children mostly aged from infant to 4 years old. Usually they were very cute, but with a such a huge restaurant space, there could a family-friendly area. Kids were much less obvious around the resort. There are pools specially for kids and adults. If we stayed in the general area of the resort, we would have to be selective of where to lounge, but there were still plenty of quite places. I do like kids as they are fun and lively - for me they don't fit into a short relaxation holiday. This is where the extra luxury of the Red Level was worth every penny.
- The food served on the terrace lounge in the Red Level area was generally very good with only a few exceptions. The small smoked salmon sandwiches during the 6-8pm service were stuck to the plate so probably prepared a little too far in advance. Breakfast pancakes were prepared Spanish style with lots of oil and appearance of scrabbled eggs rather than the familiar ones cooked with butter. The Eggs Benedict were served on toasted bread rather than a muffin (no big deal - apparently English muffins are scarce in Tenerife) - one morning, the toast was burned but it was quickly replaced.

In the ratings section, I've given 5/5 to all categories. Normally I would mark something down, but it truly was all excellent. It was a fairly expensive holiday, but considering the quality and our enjoyment, it was worth every penny - and we will very likely return.

no I don't work for the hotel and have no interest other than as a paying comsumer :-)

5 Thank Lnd_UK_99

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reading
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We travelled here with Sovereign for a short mini break for five nights. I must say that the Sovereign service is absolutely fantastic and I could not fault the operator at all! This is written with honest truth.

Hotel

A pretty new hotel, aorund 18 months I was told. The lobby area is of a very high standard. This leads to an open are where in the evenings this is lit up with colourful lights and shooting fountains. The gorunds are very nice with ponds and small rivers running through the hotel, with fountains dotted around the place.

There is a fantstic terrace which over looks the sea, where most people gather at night. They have "funky" furniture where you can sit and relax next to the fire pit. A perfect place to sit and sip a drink, if you can get served!

Pools

The hotel boasts the largest swimming pool in Europe, which is saltwater and other pools dotted around the hotel, freshwater. All the pools have a jacuzzi inbulit and the main pool has jets of water to massage your back All in all the pools are fantastic!!

Restaurants

We were on a Half Board basis so took breakfast and dinner in Pangea, the main buffet restaurant. There is also:
Nami - an Asian restaurant
Calima - A fine dining experience by Chef Dani Garcia
Club Ocean - French and Italian
Oasis Pool Grill - Fresh Fish and seafood
Poolside Snack Bar

I will come to the service later but the main issue we had was that the food in Pangea was cold unless you opted for one of the cooking stations. 90% of the breakfast, of the items you would like to be hot -were cold. At dinner you had to really be careful and make sure you had hot food.
My advice - If you have the money to, eat in the other restaurants so it is cooked to order, do not rely on the buffet restaurant here!

Rooms - In one word - Fantastic

We had a look at a few of the rooms and they were all stunning. Rain showers aas standard, his and her sinks, turn down service, iPod dock, flat screen TV, double bath and toiletries. Great standard!

Red Level - Definately worth the upgrade

With the red level you are entitled to:
Private area of the hotel
Private breakfast area
Canapes and drinks in the early evening
Private pool
Free Balienese bed
Jacuzzi on balcony/terrace

Oh dear, oh dear! This is what let's this hotel down massively! I don't want to go on and on about it on here, so any more questions please ask but I don't think that in a 5 star hotel I should:
Have to ask four times four the bill, and for it to then be wrong
To sit on the fabulous terrace and wait 20 minutes for a drink
To have to go and find the milk for my morning coffee
To eat cold food every morning and evening
To have to wait 15 minutes to be acknowledge for lunch

Anyway enough moaning. Put simply, it is a fabulous looking hotel with great facilities it just needs the service to go with it.

I must agree with adiMD, three reviews down on most parts

Questions, please ask.

2 Thank Jame5
Wiltshire
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I have just returned from my second visit to this fabulous hotel. The atmosphere is very relaxing and adult, very few children, and it suited our needs for a week of completely unwinding doing very little except enjoying the sun in lovely surroundings of the hotel and its grounds.

The large rooms are extremely comfortable, the 6ft double bed was excellent, and I enjoyed sitting on the room balcony watching the sunset over the distant island of Gomera. The half board food is generally of a high standard, though occasionaly the restaurant staff were less attentive that you might wish, but the buffet offered a good choice each breakfast and evening .

South Wales
Reviewed March 14, 2010

Unlike other recent reviews, I have very little criticisms of this hotel. It's away from the main tourist drag so it's quiet, The hotel itself is fantastic. We had a garden suite room. Very nice, clean, double bath, Ipod dock, sofa & table. Bed was very comfy but pillows not very comfortable, rain forest style shower & good quality toiletries. The buffet breakfast is fantastic & everything you would expect for a 5* hotel. The restaurants are expensive though & you can easily spend £100 on a meal & drinks for 2.
There is a spa which you have to pay extra for & we got a deal on the number of passes we bought so it is worth asking for. The highlight of the Spa for me was the flotation pool.
The staff are very good too.

Major positives were the quiet location, not too many guests in the hotel & the buffet breakfast. Negaitves - cost of the restaurants & drinks . The nearby town has a reasonable restaurant overlooking the sea selling sea food for a fraction of what the hotel charges if you fancy a cheap night out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KEGALL
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Me and my wife stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in February / March 2010. We enjoyed our time here and would definitely recommend this to people who are looking for a stlyisch hotel outside the hughe tourist area of Playa de las Americas or Costa Adeje.

Positive points:
1) The location of the hotel is fine, with a nice view of the El Teide and the sunny side of the island. In the village nearby there is not a lot to do or eat and most interesting things to see is on the other side of the island. But the good thing is: you are not in the touristic area.
2) Rooms: we had the demi-suite and it is nicely decorated, spacy and very clean. We asked for a quiet room and got it.
3) Hotel ground: again spacy, very clean and impressive styled, maybe the fountain area is a bit over the top, but no complaints here

Negative things:
1) Food: it is pretty expensive and not always good. At the buffet the meat was really to cold. The Ocean Club was way better, but the choices are limited. On the other side: the breakfast was stunning and very good.
2) Service: no waiter at the pool side or at the lounge terras (with a spectacular view!) during day time. In the restaurants, too much waiters for one table, they propably think that that is fancy
3) Entertainement: only 2 times a week a DJ and he only uses lounge music. No further entertainement, which can be fine, as we experienced at The Datai in Malaysia. But in this hotel it seemed a bit undecided what they wanted: relaxing without entertainement or being fancy with entertainement.
4) Everyting is expensive: late check-out costs 50 Euro, using the Bali bed at the pool will cost you an extra charge per day (no clue how much), drinks (3 Euro's for a soft drink and 3,50 Euro for a cappucino)

Conclusion for us:
the hotel lacks the feeling that some other 'high-end' 5 star hotels have, but is definitely a good choice within Tenerife. For the next time I would consider the Abama or go back to this one. The hotel looks stunning, but misses something and gives you the feeling that everyting is too fancy and expensive.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RDDR
Kent, UK
Reviewed March 5, 2010

The hotel is decorated beautifully and the water features are amazing but unfortunately the service would struggle to be adequate at a 3 star hotel. We queued for 25 minutes to check-in after arriving at 8pm – no apology for delay. There was regularly only 1 person manning reception which meant that 80% of your reception visits were met with a queue of at least 10 minutes. The food in Calima is good but very over priced and due to the lack of restaurants in the immediate area this meant using the buffet most of the time which did actually have a very good selection but after the 3rd visit became monotonous.

We stayed in a Garden View Demi Suite and it was comfortable and nicely styled, LCD TV, ipod dock etc nice robes, Clarins toiletries and sporadic turn down service. An example of the lack of training in good service – let alone 5 star service – was when our card key failed. The hotel is huge but strangely does not have any hallway telephones so I walked 7-8mins to reception where I was simply told to return to the room and the maintenance man would meet me there. He did not arrive so I went back to reception only to be told to go back to the room and the maintenance guy would definitely meet me this time. He did arrive, could not open the front door (checked the terrace to see if those doors were open but no) and advised me that he would come down to the pool and let me know when the front door was working again. However, no one notified us and when we returned an hour later to the room the patio doors to the terrace had been left wide open! Our room had also been cleaned so we did not know if it was the cleaner or the maintenance man. We complained to reception but, as expected, did not hear anything back.

We also hired a car whilst we were there and advised the receptionist, who could not find the keys, (she appeared to be completely clueless about car hire arrangements despite it being organised by the hotel’s guest relations) that we had been told they would be in a drawer on reception. After telling us this was not normal practice and briefly checking the drawer she then asked Guest Relations to go and see the car hire guy at the front of the hotel for more info. They then came back and retrieved the keys from the drawer she had previously looked in!!!!!

The business centre is well-equipped but the printer did not have any paper in it and despite ringing reception and another guest also ringing twice to request paper it still hadn't arrived after 15mins and the receptionist just kept saying "will arrive in a minute". In the end a guest walked to the reception desk (50m from the business centre) and asked them to give some of their paper to use!!!

On the plus side, the gym was great and always empty!

We would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone. It may appear 5 star on the surface but the management team have a very long way to go before their staff are trained to an adequate level to qualify for this status throughout. Huge disappointment.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AMD39
Switzerland
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. The main points are:
- Stunning pools, especially the infinity pool
- Beautiful rooms, nice design, lovely bathrooms and comfy beds
- Great spa (you have to pay to use it, but this does keep it more quiet)
- Nice gym, small, but was very quiet when we went, so you can always get a treadmill
- Great restaurants - including a huge buffet
- Beautiful landscaped gardens
- Great design all round
If you are looking for a relaxing holiday, then I would 100% recommend the Gran Melia, it is stunning.

There is no nightlife as such, so if you are wanting to party, then I would not choose this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LizTSwitzerland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#20 of 57 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!