“Amazing Hotel - definitely go there!”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. The main points are:
- Stunning pools, especially the infinity pool
- Beautiful rooms, nice design, lovely bathrooms and comfy beds
- Great spa (you have to pay to use it, but this does keep it more quiet)
- Nice gym, small, but was very quiet when we went, so you can always get a treadmill
- Great restaurants - including a huge buffet
- Beautiful landscaped gardens
- Great design all round
If you are looking for a relaxing holiday, then I would 100% recommend the Gran Melia, it is stunning.

There is no nightlife as such, so if you are wanting to party, then I would not choose this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LizTSwitzerland
Write a ReviewReviews (7,250)

Reviewed February 14, 2010

We have just returned and will book again! The hotel is luxurious and all the staff are brilliant. Our children are 7 & 6 and the hotels kids club was amazing. The staff, especailly Marco were adored by our kids and kept them occupied all week with different activities at no extra charge. The restaurant was exceptional, the food was marvelous and the waiter was so attentive, knowing after day 1 what drinks we liked and had them ready when we returned from the fab buffet. The garden suite we had was gorgeous with balcony overlooking the sea. It was also nice and quiet, so we didn't have to race down to the pool to get a sunbed. The fire pit with chill out dj was ace with giant beds to lie on or giant eggs to swing on while we had cocktails! We have returned feeling like we have had a proper relaxing holiday- which is amazing with 6 & 7 yr olds! Everything is catered for and done with style. Fabulous!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank crichUk
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I just returned from 4 nights stay. It was our second stay here as we had first
stayed shortly after the hotel had opened in October 2008. I don't agree with the negativity
of some of the reviews. Some complain that the service isn't 5 star. The hotel is brand new and I know from my first visit they had problems with staffing and the sheer scale of
the property. Having just come back from my second visit these problems have been sorted out and the staff and their level of service were excellent. I'd go so far as to stay they really couldn't do enough for us and were extremely friendly and welcoming - better than my experience of other 5 star hotels. It's a subjective thing I know but I think some previous reviews were seriously OTT.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RFJC2
Reviewed January 17, 2010

We are know this area of Tenerife well as my family used to own a property near this Hotel. We were keen to try the |Melia out as our previous stay in this area was The Abama.
We booked with travel republic last November and got a fantastic deal. £1004( garden view) for two persons for one week.13-20Jan The same room as I write this today is £1700 with travel republic.

Being familiar with the area and having read the reviews I emailed the hotel prior to my arrival to make sure my requests would be taken care of. I asked for a quiet room , away from the ocean bar, and not facing the road. We arrived and were given room 4050. A wonderful room with partial sea view, it got the january sun all day and was very quiet. We were delighted. Room was of a good size and well appointed. Housekeeping first class. Tea/coffee Facillities. Mini Bar, Lovely bathroom with fantastic and bath and seperate shower. All in all delighted..
The public areas are very impressive with stunning views and spectacular fountain displays. My only little niggle was the scent that they pummped through the reception area. It was like sweet cheap polish. To me it was very off putting, but in no way a negitive because it did not detract from the first impression.
The staff were excellent.. Whenever any member of staff greeted you they placed their right hand over their heart. I have to say I found it funny and ever so slightly cult like however the staff were welcoming and friendly.

On our first morning to breakfast a very nice girl showed us to our table. She spoke at length to my husband about her training in the UK. Very friendly, however the second morning she cornered us both and tried to interest us in the Time Share option. Not sure if we had been highlighted as a posability. We politely declined and had no more bother after that.

The breakfast buffet offers everything you could want, and is well stocked .

As I am staying in the hotel while writing this review I cannot pass commemt on the dining at night. The only option we would have used was the Italian however it was closed for a refurb. The other eating places did not appeal. We are not interested in Japanese, dont like buffet in the evening and did not want the formality OR to pay the price of the Calima restaurant. Instead we ate locally. None of the local restaurantrs are fancy infact very simple, but we liked that. Try Tonys, Lupulo , and another fish place on the harbour whoes name escapes me. (not hard to find). Tonight we have been recommended to try Casa Amadeu in Playa San Juan. (2 mile drive).

During the day we found a very quiet spot to sit. There are plenty of private areas round the pool and gardens. The gardens are beautiful and perfectly kept. We did not use the spa or gym, but did visit them to take a look.

I think I have covered everything. We have been lucky and not expereinced any of the negitive points some of the other reviewers experienced. We have been 100% satisfied and will return.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CarolineAmcDonald
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We have just returned from a 8 night holiday over the New Year and I have to say I was quite anxious after reading some of the less than glowing reviews about booking this hotel, however I am extremely glad we did decide to book anyway. There has to be some negative marketing within some of the reviews, as the hotel is absolutely sensational. In a league of its own in the canaries and maybe even in Europe. We have travelled for decades to the best hotels in the world, but now we have a baby and a toddler we have decided we must limit ourselves with the length of time we can manage on the flight. We had virtually given up finding anywhere elegant that is truly five star that met the needs of our children - but this hotel really has delivered in every way. We will definitely be going back.

This hotel is perfect for everyone - effortlessly sophisticated but also open and warm (The staff really will do almost anything to make your holiday special). We upgraded to a two bedroom suite and it was stunning. As are all of the rooms. The views, the contempory clean lines and well eqipped room. The cleanliness is second to none, and I am a perfectionist, and am notoriously hard to please.

The childrens pool and play park were loved by all of the children, we dipped in and out of the activities, as the children were so happy to play in the amazing pool complete with a pirate ship and slides etc etc. It is secluded so that it does not disturb other guests, and there are so many pools and areas to choose from you can be sure to find a spot perfect for you with beautiful far reaching sea views with the outline of the islands La Gomera and La Palma. The hotel I feel is really at its prime now, they have ironed out all of the normal problems a hotel has when it has just opened, and is confidently getting into its stride. Visit now, whilst it is so good. We loved eating in the Japanese restaurant and the Italian restaurant was very good. I am not a lover of buffet food at all, but the restaurant had style and some wonderful tables outside overlooking the gardens and a lake. The breakfast as some of the other reviews touched on, was fantastic too.

The spa is excellent and well priced. The 80 min massage is a must on arrival. The therapists are very very good, and the over water treatment rooms are beautiful but be sure to book them during the day as they get a little chilly from 6pm onwards.

The weather was glorious, the hotel magnificent and I can not recommend this hotel enough. If you have high standards and would like a short haul fiight with some warm sunshine this is the place for you. Even as an exhausted professional Mother who was absolutely frazzed from Christmas on arrival - the hotel eased away my worries, the civilised manner in which everything is taken care of was just wonderful ( nothing was ever too much trouble) and I came away feeling brand new. We are very much looking forward to going again!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Pyes
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Good design. Poor location. No beach unfortunately. Good pool. Loud nights music reminds cheap turkish all inclusive resorts. Terrible houskeeping!!! Dirty rooms, inconvenient time for cleaning etc,
Breakfest - good. Calima restaurant - very good, italian - good. Nami - very bad (they make sushi with surimi!!! instead crabmeat!)
Spa - very good. Unfortunately they have not indoor pool and sauna.
Spa -very good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2010

As with all the other reviews we found this hotel absolutely stunning. It has an infinity pool which is the size of a small lake and wall to wall white marble and beautiful sun loungers. There is also a fantastic dedicated kids area with a shallow pool with slides, a playground and an activity centre. The rooms are very well appointed although we found the standard garden room too small for 2 young children and upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. The buffet breakfast is fantastic. We also ate in the buffet restaurant at night which was very nice and reasonable value at 38 Euros per person. A couple of nights we used the babysitting service which was extortionate at 25 euros per hour!

We generally found the service good although the hotel was very quiet as it was early December.

A couple of criticisms- the lunch and dinner menus are very limited for kids (from 5pm-7pm only the snack bar menu full of fried food). The immediate setting is lovely - mountains and sea but the locality is not much to speak of - Alcana the local town is about the only thing in walking distance and is fairly grotty.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sunseekersleeds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Iberostar Grand Hotel El Mirador
GF Gran Costa Adeje
GF Gran Costa Adeje
#18 of 61 in Costa Adeje
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#1 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#16 of 61 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!