“Perfect for honeymoon”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Loved every minute in red level, if you can afford upgraded and a couple then defo recommended going to the red level. There is an adults only pool in addition to the red level pool. Loved that the pool staff brought round fresh fruit and cold towel and cocktail testers to you. Also in red level you get water, tea coffee free through out the day the water especially I thought was great as drinks add up in the heat

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Mrs Christine A,

Thank you very much for your nice words about the Red Level at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. Our goal is exceed your expectations and try to make yours stays as perfect as possible. It is a proud to know that you had a wonderful Honeymoon with us.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again as soon as possible.

We are at your complete disposal for everything you need.

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 10 night stay at this lovely resort in Tenerife. I’m 6 months pregnant so we were looking for a really relaxing holiday whilst it was still easy to travel around and this hotel did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived we just absolutely loved the hotel. The staff were excellent, incredibly courteous, friendly and helpful, we couldn’t fault them at all and they work very hard.

We booked the hotel directly with Melia and by signing up to their rewards programme, received a 15% discount of our Full board basis stay. We stayed in a deluxe room with a partial sea view and our room overlooked the family area of the hotel. It was a nice, large room which was well fitted and had a small terrace, my only complaint would be that unfortunately the terrace didn’t catch the sun because of the angle we were at but it wasn’t the end of the world. The bathroom was well kitted too with separate shower and large bath and lots of Clarins beauty products which were replenished every time your room was changed. We used the sustainability rewards scheme and had our room cleaned every other day, which meant we collected 20euros hotel credit to use each time which was a nice idea.

We found it to be nice and quiet the week before Easter and we spent most of our time around the family pool as it was the closest one to us, opting to swim in the infinity pool instead when we wanted to do lengths. The infinity pool was cold as its unheated but this didn’t bother us at all, we actually quite liked it. We liked the fact that you couldn't reserve beds before 10am. Finally! We found it easy to get a drink as there were always waiters walking around the pool and in some areas there were buzzers you could press to get their attention. There is an option for a Red level service. I think this might be good if you have kids and want to be waited on hand and foot but otherwise I couldn’t really find a need for it.

On a full board basis we ate in a combination of the buffet restaurant, the Oasis grill and the Italian. We loved the food in all of them it was fantastic! You have to book some of the restaurants in the evening (apart from buffet) and we did this by checking available spaces with the guest relations desk next to reception. We often couldn’t book for the same day but this was no issue and just booked for a day or 2 in advance. The bars were also nice and I believe there was some hotel entertainment in an indoor theatre most nights but we didn’t check it out.

The hotel is spotless and they work very hard to maintain, we witnessed small bits of maintenance happening here and there which I was pleased to see as it made you aware that there is a real effort put into the hotel. The garden area is particularly nice with koi carp and we often sat outside in the buffet restaurant in the evening here.

We used the gym every day, its open 24 hours and you access it with your key card whenever you want. There is also a sports centre nearby run by the hotel but we didn’t visit this.

The hotel is very children friendly which I didn’t expect and was pleasantly surprised as it means we can return next year when we have a little one! For those who want to avoid children this can be easily done too as there is also an adults only pool. I’ve already recommend this hotel to a number of friends who are looking for a break away and am looking forward to returning myself! I cannot understand the basis for some of the negative reviews that people have written on here as it was something that worried me before I went. However, I would say ignore them, I could not find the faults that they did. Maybe they have been staying in the Ritz everynight!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mrs. Vgelfling,

First of all, we would like to thank you for deciding to enjoy a relaxing trip with us at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, and also thanks for sharing your great experience with the others participants of Trip Advisor.

We would like to thank you your motivating and amazing words that you have used to describe your stay in our Hotel. We are very proud to know that we have completely reached your expectations, especially about the service we have provided.

We will be delighted to attend you next year with your little one. We are looking forward to meeting him.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

this is my first trip advisor review I have written, it is the first time that I have really felt it important to let others know what they are letting there self in for if they choose to stay at this hotel.

firstly, we booked our holiday through Thompson as an all inclusive package as the hotel sold it self as a 5 star plus resort with everything, so we assumed that we would not need to leave the resort.

On arrival (we arrived at the hotel, at 7pm.. check in supposed to be from 3pm, so there was plenty of time for them to get our room ready)
my first impression of the hotel was wow! it has a beautiful lobby and is very well kept... however the attitude towards us from the reception staff was somewhat cold and matter of fact, especially once they knew that we had booked through Thompson and not Gran Melia. we where sent to our room, we where given directions to our room, not escorted.

the room on first impressions was very nice, however there had been no beds put up for our children... so on our way to get some dinner we asked if the beds could be put up while we where at dinner as our children where tired from traveling all day, this was at 7.30pm. by 8.45 we returned to our room to find no beds. I didn't know how to call reception as we had not been shown in to our room and shown its features like I would normal expect from a 5 star resort so I then had to walk back down to reception, with my 2 very tired children and ask again for the beds to be put up... by this time the Thompson staff had left for the evening so I was back speaking to the Gran Melia staff at reception. they offered no apology just blamed the Thompson staff for not asking them to put the beds up and sent us back to our room and said someone would be up shortly.
at 10PM!! a harassed porter tuned up on his own with 2 beds, while struggling to put these beds up (while on his phone) it was quite clear they where not going to fit, so then he suggested 1 bed and using the sofa bed which we agreed to. by now it is past 10pm and my youngest child who is only 3 is now getting hysterical with tiredness from traveling all day.
while un-folding the sofa bed, to my dismay, there was an old bag of crisps in it, the porter quickly tried to brush them on the floor and hide them in his pocket and when I asked 'is that old food?' he just shrugged and carried on making up the bed. I called reception to inform them of what happened and they offered to send house keeping up, no apology! but as it was now 10.30pm I told them we would have to have house keeping in the morning as my children where exhausted and needed to sleep.

after my children eventually got to bed I went back down to reception to express my concerns over our check in/first night experience.
the gentlemen again just shrugged and actually tried to blame ME for not letting them send up house keeping at 10.30 at night!!
I also pointed out that with the beds being arranged the way they where we could not walk from one side of the room to the other without having to CLIMB OVER a bed! he said that the room we had booked was not suitable for children of our age, and blamed Thompson for this, and then encouraged me to upgrade my room, which I had to pay for. I reluctantly agreed, in an attempt to make this failing holiday better.

I agreed to a new room, but the following day when I went to reception to ask to move rooms they dismissed me again and asked me to come back later as they where too busy!
at this point my husband and I wanted to move hotels, but our children are starting to settle in and make friends and were enjoying the hotels facilities... which in fairness were very good, far superior to the service that came with them, so reluctantly we agreed to stay (this holiday was really for them and we didn't want to waste any more of it moving!

however, even though we made the best of it, the service continued to be poor.
when I asked for a dry towel I was told that it was one towel per guest per day!!! so my children continued to use wet beach towels on an overcast day.
there are 7 restaurents, but we could only use 3. the buffet (which was actually the best we ate in by far) and the 2 beach restaurents which where POOR, pre-cooked and heated up food, terrible service. the rest of the restaurants where booked via a booking machine and you could only book 24 hours in advance but by 8am every morning all the restaurents where fully booked, we was formed that people where getting up at 5 am to get bookings!!! who wants to have to do that in a 5 star hotel, or should have to do it??

To be honest I could go on all day, with stories of poor service from our stay, but I think I have said enough.

In a nut shell, this hotel was a complete let down, it ticked all the boxes with its fantastic amenities
but who wants all that if you are treated like a second class guest and have to eat food that is not as good as I feed my dog (at times)

I don't know if this service is due to the fact that we booked through Thompson, as some other reviews have pointed out, there is clearly an issue here. or if it was due to a lack of staff, or just a lack of training of staff.

But as I have stayed at the both the Bahia Del Duque and Abama which are also 5 star resorts on the island of Tenerife I can honestly say that when I comes to service and food the Gran Melia is not in the same League as these other two resorts... and is definitely NOT 5 star!!!
if I return to Tenerife I will not be staying here and would advice other customers looking for 5 star in Tenerife to stay at the Abama instead.

I would also like to point out that Thompson where very sympathetic to our concerns and offered us a day bed for the day to make up for our awful experience, they also asked me to sign a complaint form at the end of our stay explaining what we were not happy with, which I obviously did... however I have only just received the email confirming my complaint and as I have just read the small print, they have actually tricked me into signing that 'I was happy to accept the day bed and that I would not be seeking any financial repayment from Thompson for our holiday....
cleverly done Thompson!!
just when I thought you where genuinely concerned that our stay had been sub-standard, you where actually just covering your own back!!!
That just about sums up our holiday at Gran Melia !!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank siobhan c

Dear Mrs Siobhan c,

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Tenerife and for sharing your impressions on Trip Advisor.

We want to thank you for your feedback so, as you know, we believe it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we want.

Do not hesitate that all your comments we will be carefully analyzed to take the appropriate corrective actions in each case. We are really sorry to know that we could not reach your expectations during your check in.

If you need further information about others points about your review, please contact with us directly to: gran.melia.palacio.de.isora@melia.com
It will be a pleasure to attend you.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We returned on Sunday 30th after a weeks holiday. Booked as the Sensatori as a full board plus holiday with Thompsons, The hotel is immaculate and very elaborate with water fountain shows in the evening, The bedroom was excellent with lots of room, Very comfortable large bed and bath. Good sized TV, sofa, free safe, fridge and free WiFi. You even get a 20 euro credit each day you did not get your room cleaned. It was also very quiet.
Food is excellent with great choice and friendly service. The Italian restaurant needs to be booked early, but well worth its for terrific food and lovely staff. In fact all the staff were friendly and helpful.
The swimming pools are wonderful and some are heated a little but even the massive infinity pool was warm enough to swim in late March after some sunshine.
Very hard to make negative comments except the sun beds were a little hard.
We met a number of people who were on return trips and we can see why.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a side sea view room but apparently the normal rooms are just as good and next tim...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Mr. Phil M,

We thank you for your nice comments about our team, as well as for sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor Web Side.

It will be an honour to share your positive words with the rest of the team, they will be very proud to receive it. Reading your comments help us to know that our decisions are in the good way to give our guests the best possible experience.

We will be delighted to attend you in future.
Best greetings,

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We booked with Thomson but upgraded to red level with whirlpool directly with the hotel. Even before we arrived the staff were helpful as I had contacted them by email to request an upgraded as we wanted something special for our honeymoon. When we arrived we was welcomed with chocolate and a spa voucher as a congratulation which was a very nice touch. The staff are so friendly nothing is too much. If you can afford it upgrade to red level it so much better, the service, the unlimited water, tea and coffee, Clarins toiletries, coffee machine everything is just better in red level including the heated pool and own lounge area. You get 25% off any restaurants not included in the full board we treated our selves one night to the red level restaurant it was amazing a lot of reviews complain about the price but you get what you pay for the red level restaurant was expensive compared to your nandos night out but you get what you pay for the food and service was amazing and worth every penny (or euro) and we treated our selves. every other meal we ate was in the included restaurants so no extra cost and was also very nice food, lots of variety and we never had any problems with staff filing up our drinks. I would also recommend you pay to go full broad as outside the package the meals would mount up to eat within the hotel and their is not much in the local town, so going full board or higher is best value for money.
Also you can do as much or as little as you want we tried archery which was included and then relaxed the whole week but there is lots of sports, events and entertainment included to fill your week if that what you are into.
We would definitely come again and so thankful to the staff for making our honeymoon memorable for the right reasons.
The wi if is excellent we even sill picked up a signal on the beach again reason for red level is their wi if is faster we never had any issues in fact I am writing this from our balcony looking forward to our breakfast. Again another reason to upgrade to red level the buffet/ al carte breakfast is much better then the buffet breakfast in the Pangea however the Pangea did have lovely lunch and dinner the breakfast just doesn't live up to the red level standard once you have had breakfast on this side!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr. Chris H,

Firstly, we would like to thank you for spending your time sharing your experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora and thanks for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Tenerife.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our facilities and service and that you had a perfect honeymoon in the Red Level at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. I would like to thank you in the name of all the staff for your feedback; it helps us to know that our decisions are in the good way.

We hope to see you soon in our hotel.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had a very relaxing holiday in the Red level. The staff are very kind and always helpful. Service was always prompt. Red level has a happy hour when you can meet the other guests. Meals are great and the rooms are big and top quality. All the littlle extra services in Red level are worth it

Room Tip: Red level is best.
1  Thank sparehead3

Dear Mr. Sparehead3,

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Gran Melia Palacio de Isora for your holidays, it is a big pleasure to read this wonderful opinion about our hotel. And of course, thanks for sharing it on Trip Advisor.

We are very proud to know that your last experience in Red Level of Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, satisfied your expectations.

It would be a pleasure to see you again. We are at your complete disposal.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This was our sixth visit to this superb hotel! Whilst we appreciate that holidays are a very personal choice and experience we have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a superb holiday experience! The attention to detail in all areas is exemplary. The 'wow' factor certainly hits you every time you step over the threshold no matter how many times you return! Just go and experience it for yourselves - you will definitely not be disappointed! Thank you Gran Melia for another delightful and relaxing holiday! We will return.....soon!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Mr. Brian Michael P,

It makes us really proud to know that it was your sixth stay in our hotel Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and for your recommendation. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your stay exclusive and unforgettable.

It was a pleasure to attend you again and we will be happy to see you soon. You will be always welcome.

Best greetings.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 81 in Puerto de la Cruz
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#14 of 59 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!