“Excellent Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have just returned from a 7 day holiday we had at this Hotel with my daughter, Son and their spouses and 4 Grandchildren. This is a fabulous Hotel with plenty of luxury.
the rooms were spacious and spotless.
the staff were all superb in every area of the Hotel.
My only dissapointment was that we arrived at 11pm and there was no complimentary water or snacks left in the rooms for us and we had 10 people in the party with 4 children aged 7 - 10 years.
All of the Restaurants were excellent as was the service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank yvonne_sharp
Pablo Q, e Guest Experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Mrs. Yvonne_sharp:

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Tenerife and for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor Web Site.

We are really glad to hear your comments about the impression of our hotel staff; we do our best to ensure the best service. In the same way, we want to thank you for your opinion about your arrival. As you know the feedback we receive from our guests are of invaluable assistance.

We will be delighted to attend you in future if you give us a second opportunity. We would like to see you again in our hotel Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,256)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bath
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have just returned from spending 7 nights at the Gran Melia - Tenerife resort (having booked through Thomson - Sensatori). I opted for the full board choice.

I would like to start by saying that I felt inclined to write a review after reading many negative ones, because, in my opinion, they are far from the truth.

I have visited many, many 5* hotels all across the world and after 7 days here, I made the conclusion that this was ultimately the best one I had ever stayed at.

Restaurants
Many reviewers on tripadvisor have noted that it is difficult to reserve a table at some restaurants (particularly the Italian), however we did not face this problem as prior to visiting we booked each night through guest services. This meant we did not need to race out of bed to secure a table in the morning by using the computer system.
There are many restaurants which you can choose from, most of which being included in the price of the full board package.
The buffet is outstanding, the size of it is pretty unbelievable with a range of food all beautifully arranged as far as the eye can see. Each lunch/dinner a different choice of fish/meat is available to be freshly cooked as well as a decadent salad selection and much, much more. Desserts are a particular highlight, too. Look out for the amazing ice-cream carousel.
The Italian restaurant is undoubtedly the best of the 'waiter served' options. The food is A La Carte with a terrific range of meats/fish/pastas/pizzas etc. I enjoyed numerous pastas here which were out of this world. The stylishly designed restaurant also makes for a lovely evening.
The other restaurants included in the full board package (Market/Oasis) were also lovely. The Market restaurant offered a more laid-back dining experience with the menu including things such as burgers/pizzas/toasties in the day (all menus changed come night). The Italian was not open for lunch.
We opted not to visit the Duo restaurant because we felt our needs were met at all the others. This restaurant is not included in the full board package. The restaurant was, however, always full come evening and so was obviously a popular choice.
One evening we opted to visit the restaurant in the Red Level section. We found ourselves one of only two tables eating that night. Unfortunately, this was the worst dining experience of the week. We were not bold on the food and the service was not great.
Overall, the restaurants were outstanding. Breakfast was particularly fabulous - the pastries were to die for and the cooked breakfast was also cooked to perfection. Always hot and tasty.

Bedrooms
We opted for a standard deluxe bedroom - we looked out on to a lovely garden area even though we had not paid any extra for any particular view.
The rooms are large and stylish. Beds are particularly comfortable (and huge!!) and plenty of room for all your needs. Two sinks in each bathroom and a walk-in rain shower and separate toilet. The bedrooms truly do posses the 'WOW' factor and are brilliantly designed.
The only slight downside was the poor lighting. It took an entire week to decide which swith turned on which light and when all on, the rooms were dim making it difficult to apply makeup etc.
I would not suggest booking a 'garden room', the standard deluxe rooms feature a large sized balcony with a table and seating area - there really is no need to pay the extra cost for a ground-floor terraced room. Within the price of a garden room you are also given a 'Balinese' bed (at the end of the terrace) for the holiday however in 7 days I did not see one person use theirs.
All rooms feature tea/coffee facilities, a safe and also an empty fridge (very handy).

Pool Area
The infinity pool is truly outstanding - it always feels as though you are swimming alone in the pool because it is unbelievably spacious.
The 'pool boys' truly do stick to the 'no reserving beds before 10am' policy and I often watched them removing people's towels prior to the 10am stipulation time.
I was usually sat on my sun bed by 9.30am and I never struggled to get a good spot.
The service around the pool is excellent, you can always find a pool waiter to grab a drink or coffee after 11am when pool service begins.
There are a number of pools - two of which being 'adult only'. There were quite a few young kids around the infinity pool however I never found that they bothered me. The adult only pools are considerably quieter and more serene, though. I never walked to find the children's pool.
The only difficulty is that the umbrellas cannot be moved because they are permanently in the ground. Instead, you have to move your beds under the umbrellas when the sun moved or find shade under a palm tree.
One day I enjoyed a poolside massage - absolute heaven.

Clientele
The people at this resort in June were mainly young families and young couples around the age of 20-40 years. Mainly English as I suspect they booked mainly through Thomson.

General Service
The service we found to be impeccable. My Nan used a wheel chair some of the time and they were always there to lend a hand - often pushing the chair when they saw us moving around the hotel.
Waiters were very attentive and friendly.
The 'Red Glove Line' (guest services) were outstanding. We called them several times to assist with a couple of things (for example when I thought our balcony door was slightly loose) and they were always at our door within the minute. At one time they also paid us a visit to fix my Nan's glasses - they were absolutely amazing.

Hotel Services
The hotel features three shops - two of them being boutique/gifts shops and one being a shop featuring food/drink (handy for water), magazines and newspapers and beauty essentials. This shop was fairly pricey but great when you ran out of a thing or two.

Entertainment
When you arrive you are given entertainment and sports guides. There is no limit on ways to spend your days if you do not want to lounge by the pool.
We enjoyed the piano bar on an evening and also several other entertainers/shows.
We enjoyed them all thoroughly.

General Hotel Impression
Upon arrival we were greeted with a lovely orange drink and our bags were whisked away before we could get a chance to wheel them through reception.
The hotel is scented and it is truly a delicious smell.
Reception was beautifully decorated - very modern and spacious. Truly spectacular.

Location
The hotel is in a very quiet town - but you can find a supermarket/pharmacy if you feel the need to leave the resort.

All in all, we enjoyed a wonderful 7 days at the Gran Melia hotel. We cannot wait to return.

I urge you not to listen to the other negative reviews because, ultimately, if you are looking for 7 days where you can relax, enjoy amazing food and be entertained there really is nowhere better to go.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the main features of the hotel so you do not have to walk far.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Marcella P
Pablo Q, eGuest Experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Marcella P:

It is a big pleasure to read your nice comment referring your last stay with us. Thank you so much for it and for sharing it with another Tripadvisor's users.

We are very proud to know that your last experience in Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, satisfied your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, make your stay exclusive and unforgettable. Your comments will help us with our continuing effort to assure our Guest Satisfaction.

We truly consider all your comments and of course, we hope to welcome you back to your home in Tenerife.

Best greetings,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked from Thomson. Transfer takes about 35mins with first drop off / last pick up in the coach.
Check in very speedy and a warm reception.
Had a sea view room. Room looks exactly the same a brochure and really is one of the nicest rooms we have stayed in. Had a room on top floor (5) and there is the wall that people have mentioned. We never sat on the balcony so really was not an issue. (you also don't get the associated noise from the above floor, so for us would recommend top floor.)
Room has safe (with socket inside), iron, hair dryer, slippers, robes, flat TV, old style iPod dock, bath, separate shower, fridge and a very large comfy bed.
Hotel public areas really are of a very high standard, fountains, nice grounds etc..
Would recommend booking Bali bed around the pools. (You can pay with the green tokens you get for not having room serviced)... (You can not use green tokens for tips charged to the rooms)
We went to the Adult Pool area most days, you could always get a bed, but not always a Parasol.
The italian restaurant is hard to book, but the others were not an issue. (The Italian was not really any different in quality to the others, so I am not sure what the fuss is all about.)
We found the restaurants service and food quality ranged from very poor to very good from night to night?? Our best experience seemed to always be in the buffet restaurant, and sitting outside in the adult area was always very nice.
We booked the AI drinks option, I would not book it again, and my wife and I drink a 'fair' amount :-) . The drinks selection was OK, but I was often less wishing for some thing else on the menu. The cocktails were very hit and miss and really depended on the bar you visited. My recommendation would be bring your own water to the pool during the day (soft drinks are expensive) then buy what ever drink you want on the menu in the evening.
The hotel entertainment was of a good standard, but we felt a little old fashioned. The Piano bar was good fun, and really the only option for a latish night drink.

There is nothing to see in the surrounding area, it really is in the middle of no where.

All in all and good stay and would recommend.

Room Tip: The Thomson allocated high floor sea view room really is fine.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Booked 1 week AI with Thomson in the first week of June. My husband and I are early 30’s with no children. We wanted 1 week of luxury without having to leave the hotel. I read pretty much all the reviews on TA and Facebook and despite feeling a little worried about some of the reviews off we went.
Our mini bus driver was waiting for us at the airport and within half an hour we were there and WOW. The reception looked awesome, if not a little intimidating on just how nice. Room was equally as lovely, we did a little dance as was so pleased with it. As we arrived around 6.30pm, we kind of had to fend for ourselves and find our way to the restaurants and bars. Would have been nice for the Thomson staff to greet us and explain a little, but then I guess with people arriving at different times this isn’t possible. We found the Pangaea buffet and was lovely - deffo walk around it a few times to get a feel of what they have. Food here is lovely - cannot understand the negative reviews. Drinks service was a little slow here, and my hubby did panic that he would be chasing the staff round all holiday but this wasn’t the case. After dinner we would always go to the club ocean terrace bar, again its waiter service and again hubby would have preferred to just get his own, but we soon got the swing of things! Cesar and Jose were brilliant, and would bring 2 beers for the hubby as they only came in half pint glasses. Even though you are AI you have to sign for every drink, so we panicked a little as thought we were being charged for them all. The following morning we asked for a bill from reception and it was zero, so don’t panic!
The views at the terrace bar are amazing, overlooking the pool and ocean. The DJ would play his tunes and most nights the entertainment team would do a little show before the big show in the atlas theatre. My only issue and is that once the kids club would finish the bar would then be overrun with kids. But then it’s a family hotel, so cant grumble too much! We did go to the atlas theatre a couple of times, its good – huge – but not really our cup of tea. We also tried the night club (open Fridays and Saturdays) this was good too. The piano bar was nice, but when in the bar, everyone is just sat there watching him, and I like to have a drink and a chat, so we sat outside and this way could hear him and still have a natter without feeling guilty.
The pool scene is lovely; we went to the infinity pool every day, never an issue getting beds. Again its waiter service here, now that is hit and miss, so in the end I would just go to the bar, it’s not even worth whinging about. I’m sure some people will however! The pool is a little cold, but come 1pm after the sun has warmed it a bit, it’s lovely. It’s the reason we booked this hotel and when you are in it, you really do feel a million miles away from work, home etc….
So food, breakfast was awesome in Pangaea, lunch too. The Market Grill is a bit pants in my opinion, just club sandwiches and pizza’s. We ate here once in the evening and I think we would have done better to go to Pangaea. The Ocean Grill is amazing, had beautiful fish and steak dinners here, this was definitely our favorite. The Club Ocean Italian is equally as nice. Everyone raves about this one and it does get booked, but just book on your way to breakfast – easy! I think in total we ate in Pangaea twice, the rest was the bookable restaurants and no need to bypass the booking machine and complain about this, always got a table. We didn’t eat in any of the restaurants you had to pay extra for.
The hotel, grounds, seating areas, pools and rooms are perfect and stunning. Felt so lucky to sit on the terrace bar with a Mohito with the surrounding views. The staff are so lovely and welcoming. The Sensatori staff, apart from the welcome meeting didn’t have much interaction with them, they seemed ok though.
It is worth going AI if you like a cocktail, I think it cost us an extra £400 for the 2 of us for a week, but this also meant we got bottles water throughout the day and tea and coffee, which at 3 Euros for water and 5 for tea, was so worth it. Some people have moaned that not everything is included, but believe me there is enough choice. We did the green credit a couple of times and then we could have a couple of cocktails that weren’t on the AI menu and not have to pay. – You also get 50% off these anyway for being AI. It’s not difficult to understand their AI, so don’t panic with the other reviews on the AI system.

We are going back next year and can’t wait.

Room Tip: If you smoke the 5th floor. Also has great views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MrsScotty33
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Yes it is out of the way, not much to do outside of the hotel but surely one would have done there home work before they came.
If you are looking for a beautiful, stylish hotel to spend a romantic week then this is the place for you.
The rooms are lovely plenty of room, large comfortable beds. Nice bathroom with the biggest bath I have seen, good shower.
Food no complaints lots to choose from, my favourite is the Italian restaurant excellent food. Don't be put off by what you read.
Outside area is amazing the decor is first class. Beautiful pool areas I recommend you hire a Bali bed large double bed in the sun.
If you are looking for a lively place with lots to do this is not the place for you, looking for luxury and romance this is definitely the place to comw.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank 19christine52
Dear Mrs. 19christine52:

In the first place we appreciate your positive comments in relation your recent experience at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. We also thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments.

We are very proud to read your words, specially referring to our area and style. Be sure that your comments will help us to keep improving our service and product.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Huge mass tourism resort, packed with brainless kids, retired and lower class people wanting to play rich for 1 week. The place has daily awful and loud shows and music with cheap light/laser fountain shows, the food is really bad, there is noone to inform you about activities (unless you want to pay €70 to spend your day on a tourbus with 40 scumbags). We are a young professional couple and this hotel is everything we wanted to escape from!

• Stayed June 2013
11 Thank Anna M
Dear Anne M:

First of all, thank you so much for selecting Gran Melia Palacio de Isora for your vacations. We are so sorry that you have not found the appropriate value to our hotel.

We regret that the hotel will not fit your needs, the best way this will not happen again is informed in advance about the type of establishment you will be staying, and we thank you if you don’t despise the other guests dependant their social class, nationality or any other personal feature, Thousands of professional young couples enjoy our services and facilities daily, we regret you couldn’t find the way to do it.

In any case, we would like to thank you very much for your feedback and for taking the time to share your opinion in tripadvisor.
Greetings,
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family and we were all amazed at how fantastic the hotel was. This was easily the best hotel I've stayed at, a choice of a number of different restaurants including a massive buffet style one which was our favourite. We rented the four poster sunbeds everyday which was perfect for a bit of privacy as there are curtains round the side and staff would bring us free fruit and water everyday. The pool is stunning as the hotel is as a whole. As well as the different restaurants there are also a couple of shops in the hotel that sell jewellery etc. I shared a room with my sister which we both loved and there was even a phone in the toilet! Strange but oddly convenient! Would love to stay here again!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Global_Stormer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#20 of 58 in Costa Adeje
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
The Ritz-Carlton, Abama
#3 of 6 in Guia de Isora

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!