“Great Hotel but beware”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bridge of Weir, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel but beware”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just returned from a week in this resort. Holiday booked with Thomsons where they sell it as the Sensitori Tenerife.
First of I must say that this is a terrific hotel and we had a great holiday, but beware.
We booked through Thomsons and had only one choice of room available. ( we normally always book a sea view room.) The room on offer was described as a garden room with private garden and Bali Bed. This sounded great, although no sea view. Unfortunately the reality was some what different. Although the room was as described, what was not said was that the room was as faraway from the center as possible and faced North. ie no sun at any time. The garden was like a jungle and blocked out most of the natural light to the room. The Bali Bed was a waste of time as it got no sun and again was surrounded by jungle. Not a place you would want to spend a holiday. Ideal if you want to grow mushrooms or force rhubarb. I immediately went to reception and asked for an alternative. The only room they had available was a ocean view room for which they charged an extra 50 euros per night for . Far more than if we could have booked it in the first place. I had no option than to stump up another 350 euros.
A word of warning. If intend to book this hotel, and other than what I have said I would highly recommend it, do not consider a garden room. Most if not all have a similar problem. The Hotel faces West so the sun rises to the left as you look at the hotel and therefore any room that faces to the right gets no sun and of course the garden rooms are on thr ground floor surrounded by vegetation.

Having said all that on the positive side this is really a great hotel. The rooms are spacious and well appointed. Tea and coffee making facilities are included and replenished on a daily bases. A large bathroom with separate Bath, shower and WC.
A choice of 5 restaurants from the basic self-service to fine dinning. The food in them all was of a high standard.
The service from the staff was first class, nothing was too much trouble for them and always with a smile.
A previous reviewer commented that included wine package, that it was difficult to get a refill. Our experience was almost the opposite. At times you had to say no thank you, and we enjoy our wine.
The pool areas were superb with a choice to suit everyone.
With the exception of our first room experience if you head this warning I can highly recommend this Hotel and we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Do not choose a Garden Room. Ideally a sea view or a south facing room.
1 Thank Ranfurlyray
Pablo Q, eGuest Experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Ranfurlyray,

On behalf of the entire team of the Gran Melia Palacio de Isora, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Tenerife.

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your vacation here at the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora in the month of March and we are glad to hear that we have suited your needs .

We regret that the first choice of the room was outside of your pleasure, in any case, if you want to know, in future stays, some details about the characteristics of your room or any other service of the hotel, feel free to contact us directly, we will provide all the details you need

We hope to have you back soon enjoying the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, your home in Tenerife.

We are expecting you,

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,223)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lichfield
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was the second time that we have stayed at this hotel and we weren't disappointed. Sometimes return holidays can be a let down but if anything it had improved. The gardens are immaculate as are the public areas. The rooms are generously sized and the beds are enormous! My only comment would be the lighting in the rooms are quite subdued and the light switches aren't easy to work out what turns what on and off - but this is only a minor irritation.

The food is very varied and beautifully presented. I would suggest eating in the outside area of the Pangea Restaurant as the inside is very noisy and not very relaxing. It's difficult to book into the other Restaurants unless you get up early and book on the automated screens in reception but you need to book before 8 a.m. to be in with a chance!

It was good to see the hotel upholding it's policy on not reserving sun beds. If any towels were put out without bodies on them they were taken away and a card left telling them they couldn't reserve beds before 10.00 a.m.

The entertainment was excellent in the evenings and there was something for everyone. There's also plenty of daytime activities available if you wish to partake. I would highly recommend this hotel for a relaxing chill out holiday.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above ground level as there is a lot of garden vegetation and I would imagine they...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CSHLichfield
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is definitely one of the better hotels we have experienced. The staff at Red Level was most friendly and helpful. The rooms excellent (our spacious balcony had two stretchers, four comfortable chairs - and a large jacuzzi bath). Red Level combined the facilities of a large luxury hotel with the boutique feel of the "no children" area.
The hotel is out of the resort towns of Los Cristianos, Playa de las Americas and Costa Adece neither is it in Los Gigantes, which may suit some, as it did us. There are some restaurants in villages nearby which are worth a visit.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying a little extra for a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pablo Q, eGuest Experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Meditationdave,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience on TripAdvisor in order to make it known that we have made a positive difference at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience.
It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your vacation here at the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora and we are glad to hear that our accommodations and installations in the red level have suited your needs. On behalf of all the network equipment level; thank you.
Guest Experience
norwich
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for week in early march, and we took our three year old daughter with us. I should mention that our flight was delayed six hours, which was bad enough, but we also had to endure possibly the worst cabin crew on our Thompson flight that I have ever come across, there attitude towards passengers was of unparalleled rudeness. None the less we landed at 2am as opposed to 9pm, so you can imagine my daughter was climbing the walls by this point, but to be fair to the airport staff at Tenerife, they swiftly got us through and we were greeted by our transfer, which happily was only taking us and another couple directly to the hotel. Transfer was swift (should be 40mins,but luckily Jenson Button was at the wheel to earn some extra cash, and managed to do it in 20!) We arrived at the hotel, and check in was a breeze, and we were immediately made to feel very welcome. He showed us to our room and even offered us some food and drink, bearing in mind it was 3:30 am, we could of had practically anything.
As usual my wife and i read several reviews of this hotel before we went, but I would just like to point out what we felt, and the only reason I have given this a 4 instead of a 5 is that we felt Thompson association with this hotel suits Thompson more than the Gran Melia and the sooner this hotel realises the better, as we quickly found out that the hotels description of rooms etc is far honest than that of Thompson, and indeed we would regularly pass the Thompson desk to find yet another Brit complaining that did not get what the brochure described. We spoke to some staff at the hotel, and they informed us that this was a regular occurrence.

ROOMS: well equipped and spacious. Shower was a bit underpowered, and be careful as the floor does tend to get a wet outside of the shower. Really good choice of TV channels for all languages. The lighting, did require a degree in mathematics to turn on the right one. Really liked the go green for a day which means if you pass on having your room cleaned for a day they give you 20 euros of your final bill, and you can do this as many times as you like during your stay, which added up to some really decent discount at the end. Plenty of sockets as well for the bag load of stuff I bought that needs charging.

SENSORTORI: Nutshell .... Didn't get it... Did not see any difference between Sensortori room or non Sensortori room?

FULL BOARD PLUS: Well worth the price, we thought rather than spending the money on all inclusive. All drinks are included at meal times, and this includes house wine and local beer, and whilst I don't think it was endless supply, they had no problem with topping us up more than once or twice.

POOL AREAS: If you taking very young kids, then head straight to the pirate pool... We've been back a week a my daughter is still wrinkly from being in it all day! To be fair, and because of this we did not really try any of the others, but the main pool I did try, was a little on the chilly side, not that it was a problem.

TOWELS: Spoke to soon on my last review, as this hotel uses a card system also. However plenty of areas to obtain them, and you can change them as often as you like.

FOOD: We ate most nights in the main restaurant, which served a wide variety of choice to suit all diets, and was delicious, we did not see the usual themed nights so to speak, but was always something different of evening to the previous. We read reviews that the Italian was the better of the"to book" restaurants, but to be honest we were not that impressed, but that was due more to a poor choice by my wife and I, and on that particular night it was quite windy and a bit chilly, which didn't help. I do however recommend booking the BBQ night, which was right up my street, with the lamb chops a real treat. The ocean grill was ok, but in all honesty, and as we had a young child with us the main restaurant (Pangea, I think) offered more than enough.

BOOKING RESTAURANTS: The hotel offers a very cany way of allowing guests to book at the various restaurants, through the use of a touch screen computer. In fairness I do agree that it was not always easy to get a table at your preffered choice, as these were snapped up early in the morning, but if your up and about then why not book it? I had a restless night whilst away and to allow my family a lay in I went for a wander and booked a restaurant. I think it is unfair that some have reviewed here and claimed that the screens are switched to early, but I feel that no matter what time you turn them on it would not make much difference in terms of demand. There are a couple restaurants that are only open to adults with the exception of one night of the week, so I can't really comment on these, but on the whole, we were genuinely impressed with what was on offer.

SUNBEDS: In plentiful supply and are much more comfy than they look. Praise the lord that this hotel has a no reserve policy before 10am, and therefore lends itself to a far more pleasant atmosphere around the pool areas.

ENTERTAINMENT: This area can often be... Well a little cheesy... And although there is a element of this, it is a deliberate part of an all round good show. I refer inparticular to Kenny & Lisa, who whilst come across as a junior version of the krankies on acid, have a great ability to get the young children involved, and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed the evenings in the company of them and the show they put on, and my wife and I also enjoyed the dry wit of Russell the Brussel (it may sound like I'm on acid after that comment, but if you see it you will know what I mean!) we did not hang around too much after this show had finished, so can't comment on other shows, but from what we heard it is varied and very professional.

SPA: My wife used it on one occasion, and personally she felt that it lacked the professional approach, and was rather expensive in relation to the treatmen recieved and compared to what we have experienced from previous holidays. She runs her own salon /spa and therefore does treat herself to a bus mans holiday on occasion, so I will take her word on this one, as I did not use it.

STAFF: We could not fault any of the staff at the hotel, they were all very friendly and helpful, and would do there best to fulfil your requirements.

HOTEL: We found the whole place to be spotlessly clean. The Plaza area felt a bit cluttered, but this made no difference, and the dancing fountains are worth a look at least once while your there. Although there are lifts these are not always convieniently located if you have a buggy, and there are a few steps to be tackled, but we almost always had a staff member that was happy to help you with a lift up them. prices in the hotel on drinks etc struck me as reasonable, but after we put our daughter to sleep, my wife and I would often sit on the balcony and share a drink together, so I walked round the corner from the hotel to a mini market and stocked up on some beers, which I have to say was a lot cheaper, but in fairness to the hotel they recognised that this was a common practice, and just smiled sweetly as I walked back through reception with enough beer to open a pub.

All in all we would not hesitate to go back to this hotel, although we would definitely book direct with the hotel. We found thomson to be lazy and riding off the back of this superb hotel. Thomson sole purpose it seems is to sell you excursion after excursion at hugely inflated prices, but there customer service skills leave a little to be desired.... Thankfully I was just an observer, as this hotel made us feel very welcome and had a great un rushed atmosphere about it. Book it! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank daniel j
Dear Daniel J,

Thank you for having chosen Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora during your holidays in Tenerife and for your kind post about our food, rooms, entertainment and our helpful and friendly service. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our hotel.

Your honest opinion can be an invaluable reference for other customers who are thinking of staying with us, for this reason we really appreciate the time that you have taken for publishing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for the post so detailed, especially point referred to reserve system in restaurants in which comment, as referring to other post, the problem is not the system, but the capabilities of those restaurants in which to maintain the high level of service and exclusively we offer a limited number of guests enjoying the service at same time. If, as you comment, in your next stay, do you want to book directly with the hotel, do not hesitate to contact our reservation department or visit our website gran-melia.com

We hope to see you soon with all your family at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora,

Warm Regards
Liverpool
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Have always rated Conde Nast recommendations until this one...the room was brilliant and beautifully equipped, if a bit dark (ground floor, corner of the building). But the public spaces were, for us pretentious, even gross - faux columns, bizarre lighting effects, unnecessary muzac and harsh decor. Does not compare favourably, in our opinion, with 'Ambama' virtually next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AVGCharente
Dear AVGCharente,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, the best Spanish Resort 2012 by Conde Nast Traveller , we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns in Tripadvisor, and we are really sorry if you do not like our infraestructure and design.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went here for 1 week in the beginning of March and the stay was absolutely amazing. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed at and is certainly worthy of 5 stars. The hotel has a high standard in luxury settings.

Rooms:
Big and spacious rooms. Nice interior and a delicate bathroom. Good size bed. We didn't have a sea view, but we had a nice view of the majestic Mount Teide from our balcony.

Atmosphere:
Relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. The perfect surroundings for a couple holiday or a relaxing stay with your family. We travelled as a couple and were most in the adult area of the resort. Loved the quiet and relaxing mood. We noticed that the resort is perfect for children as well, so maybe next time we will bring our kid.

Restaurants:
We tried 5 of the restaurants during our stay, 4 was included in the full board. Breakfast and most of the lunches we had at the buffet, Pangea. The Buffet was okay but didn't have the largest selection. I missed more of the Spanish quisine. Our favourite restaurant was Club Ocean. But remember to make a reservation early in the morning to make sure you get a table - we had to get up at 7 in the morning to be sure.

Activities:
We tried the gym and the spa, and can recommend both. The Sports Hub offered activites such as tennis, spinning, archery ++. I'm sure if you're bored you will find something of interest here.

The large Infinity Pool looks very tempting but was awfully cold in the begining of March. I would recommend one of the smaller pools which is warmer if you just want a dip.

In the evening you have several bars and live entertainment.

All in all, a perfect stay. We will go back for sure!

2 Thank PizzaBear
Dear PizzaBear

First of all, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your last stay in Tenerife, as well as for taking the time to post your opinion on Tripadvisor.

We highly appreciate your comments, thanks to them we continously strive to strengthen the points that need to be improved.

Our appreciation again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Looking forward to welcome back you at the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

Best regards,
Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just came back from the Gran Melia Palacio de Isora (Sensatori) where we stayed for a week with our 8 month old baby.
We were in a suite overlooking the family pool and sea. This hotel is good for family with young children with plenty of cots & highchairs. The hotel shop also provides infant milk, nappies and baby food (you may choke on the price, 1.99 for a 200ml carton of aptamil/milupa milk)

Overall: nice hotel, great location to visit the island - not far from the Gigantes and beautiful Masca. Also great views over la Gomera and El Teide from the hotel. Accommodating families.

Grounds & Garden 5*: vaste, beautiful and very well maintained. There was a bad storm during our stay and you couldn't guess the morning after...credit to the team maintaining this huge place. Pleasant to go for a wonder with a pram too !

Room 4*: I guess it depends on the staff, overall cleaned room and staff accommodating us with our baby. They even clean baby bottles for us - nice touch

Pools 5*: we only tried the heated family pool - clean, temperature could have been a bit warmer but not bad at all.
Great plus: no one can "reserve" their sunbed until 10am - that makes such a difference! the hotel was 70-80% full and we managed to get sunbeds around 11am - maybe more difficult in high season

Food 3-4*: If you don't travel very often, you may find the food great, we didn't.
Food is fresh, breakfast buffet had a lot of choice but apart this, everything lacks flavour and these little touches to make it a 4-5 stars (we tried the oasis grill and Nami bistrot in addition to the buffet). Having said that, we were not expecting a hotel of this size to serve 5 stars food.

If you want a great dining experience, go to the Lupulo restaurant in Alcala, tasting menu for 30 euros with 7 courses: that is 5 stars food!

Service 4*: staff generally polite and helpful, service though is not 5 stars.
One bad experience: we were denied entry to the Market grill (2 adult, one pram) as it was "full" but the group of 4 behind us went straight in....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ansestileu
Pablo Q, eGuestexperience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Ansestileu;

We really appreciate your comment and the time that you have taking to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Our main objective is to offer the best service to all our guests, and reach your expectations, because of that we appreciate so much all the feedbacks from our guests, and we will consider all your comments like a great value that help us to improve.

We hope to see you soon with all your family at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora.

Kind regards

Guest Experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!