“Glamorous hotel but for families”

Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Lovely looking hotel not suitable for couples. Food is about 3* you can only eat in 4 of the restaurant and with 3 of them you have to get up early to book! The others there is a 75% cover charge.
Rooms, service & entertainment are great, if you like piece and quite when you sleep the walls are thin so you can hear your neighbours and outside.

Room Tip: High level rooms near 5099
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pablo Q, eGuest Experience at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear 76Max,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora, I would like to thank you for having chosen us for your stay in Tenerife.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our facilities and services. On the other hand we feel that we have not met your expectations with the value offered by our restaurants.

We welcome your comments, it helps us specifically to our service is improving daily.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and give you the best of our attention. We recommend you to stay in our Red Level Service, where you can enjoy an Adults Only atmosphere, peacefully and relaxing for couples.
Best Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (7,238)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Returned last week from a 7 night stay. We had stayed a few years ago, just before it came under the Sensatori name and had a fantastic time. We never like going back to the same place twice, but decided to go again as we had such a great time on our first stay. We weren't disappointed, we had a fantastic holiday. We had originally booked a double room with a camp bed for our two young daughters. On checking in, reception advised that they were able to upgrade us to a 1 bed master suite. We had a look at both rooms and although the double bed room was great, it did overlook the pond (and we did notice a smell as soon as we opened the balcony doors)....there was no comparison when we were shown to the master room. I think we were charged something like £500 to upgrade for the week and the room had a kitchenette, double shower, jacuzzi bath, living room area (where the sofa/camp bed was located), our double room and a beautiful sea & pool view balcony with a sofa, table & chairs. Upgrading really did make it more enjoyable for us as we were able to sit out in the evening and watch the sun going down - bliss :)
We had read on here that the family pool was too cold...on our visit, the pool temp was fine and the children didn't have a problem. The water in the children's pool (with slides & pirate ship) was warmer again. So no complaints here.
You were not able to book sunbeds with your towels until 10am, which was a good idea. We hired a bali bed for a couple of days (a four posted sun bed located at various places around the pools & gardens). The price varies from 25euros to 95euros. We opted for the 25euro beds as the expensive beds included a family spa package which our children weren't bothered about. For 25euros, the bali bed was worth it's weight in gold. The children could close the curtains and read, go on their ipads and we sat out on the sunbeds next to them.
The restaurants were great. We have eaten in some of the finest restaurants and we found the quality of the food excellent. Saying that, we did feel that we needed to break with the monotony of buffet food, so we booked into the Italian one night (bellissimo!) and Duo (1st Class). Usually children aren't allowed into Duo, but on a Thursday evening they open it up for children. My husband and myself had the 7 course taster menu. The children had a fantastic steak, dauphinoise potatoes with a jus - both girls devoured their meals as did their mammy & daddy. Our only grumble was the fact that you have to book a restaurant reservation on a computer which is located by reception from 7am - many people complained about this.
The members of staff were all friendly and helpful. Hotel was spotlessly clean. Nothing much outside of the hotel. We took a walk around and although there are a few shops, they were more like local shops for the residents rather than tourist shops. Saying that, on both our stays, we enjoyed the hotel so much that we never felt the need to leave!!

Room Tip: Would request a room that did not overlook pond because of the smell.
3  Thank coracled7
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is my second day at Sensatori Tenerife and although its lovely I can't help but wish I was at Sensatori Sharm El Sheikh. The hotel deserves its 5 stars more than Sharm but that's the only plus. Although everyone is friendly and attentive at meal times there seems to lacking something about the atmosphere.
I booked the Sensatori as we had spent 2 weeks over Christmas in Egypt with our 3 children and loved it so much that I already rebooked for next year. Having arrived I found the hotel to be beautiful. It's very tastefully decorated and certainly has the wow factor. The transfer was 40 minutes in a mini bus. Check in was quick and suitcases delivered to our room without any fuss.
It's always good to attend the welcome meeting and the hotel to get the most out of your holiday and Thomson delivered this well.
We booked Sensatori as the range of activities in Egypt was amazing. Here in Tenerife there is also an action packed itinerary but the sports hub is across a busy road on the other side from the hotel and this worries so much that I will not allow the children to go over by themselves. I don't like the idea of them leaving the complex as well as the busy road. Also in Egypt the children aged 6, 10 and 14 could go off and play football, volleyball, archery, tennis etc, but here they have to be supervised by psrents if under the age of 12, even if they are old enough to take part in the activity.
So I've spent 2 days supervising all the kids during their activities even though there is a qualified adult leading the activities.
Another really big disappointment is the kids club. In Egypt my 6 year old went to the kids club twice a day for 2 hours ( which was no extra cost) and had a sleepover at the kids club one night. Here in Tenerife there is a nursery which is aged 0-4 that you have to pay extra for, but only a few sessions of 4 + which you have to stay and supervise and which my 6 year old found to be a bit babyish.
There is a feel of segregation here which I also don't like. Guests can pay extra to become red level guests. They have access to a few extra areas but nothing that seemed worth paying all that extra for.
We had the full board plus option which provides you with tea, coffee, juice and water at breakfast, and soft drinks, water and house wines and beers at lunch and dinner. We walked to the local cash and carry and bought a few soft drinks and water to keep in our mini bar and this was absolutely fine and saved a lot of money.
A big disappointment is not having a beach. Apparently one is being built but won't be ready for a while. This hotel is by the sea but there is a non-accessible rocky drop so unfortunately we didn't get to build any sand castles!
This hotel isn't very wheelchair or pram friendly. Everything is very far apart too.
The booking system for restaurants is easy and if any of the restaurants were full we could always eat at the Pangea restaurant which didn't take bookings. The food is nice but once again there was far more variety in Egypt and a section of food just for children, but nothing like that here.
It's February and I thought it would be bikini weather, I don't think my bikini will be coming out my suitcase at all! It's very cool in the evenings and quite windy so don't forget to pack plenty of warm clothes if you are coming.
I went to the pool after lunch today and struggled to get a sunbed, when I did find one I realised they don't have cushions which I would expect at a hotel of this standard. We did also get warned that they didn't let people reserve sunbeds here early in the morning.
Although a lovely place, if you have been to Sensatori Sharm and have something to compare it to I don't think you would come back.

1  Thank SophiaScott
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from a weeks winter sun with my wife and two teenage daughters. The weather was excellent 75 degrees.
I wont review the hotel structure or rooms as they are great and many pictures on here and in the Thompson info that show it as it is.
Sensatori - their business model is obvious , they take en-block the rooms with lesser views that the Melia hotel does not book so well- you can tell this by when you walk the corridors you will se the red Sensatori symbol on the rooms facing the road and mountains only and not on rooms with a view.
The staff are 5 star in terms of service, the Melia guests get a different package ie they are not all on the 4 restaurants deal whereby upgrading to the other classy restaurants you have to pay the full price including drinks and get 15% off ( what ? ) The best included restaurant is the Ocean Club and we were lucky to get a 9.30 booking one evening when many Sensatori guests could not as you had to que at 7 am two days before to have any chance whereas melia and red level guests did not leaving a very small amount of tables.
The sunbeds are plentiful but not always in good sunny areas and have no cushions unlike true 5 star hotels instead the resort sells Bali beds daily at $50-£100 per day - there are some $20 but in poor poor locations.
What you are left with a is a lesser package offer in a debatable 5 star hotel leaving us Brits with a 3 star experience. If the guest is not used to a luxury hotel they may be excited by the look of the hotel . The food however is ok but not great and standards of management in the buffet are poor with too little staff to cope leaving plates on tables and lack of coffee but the worst aspect was some hygine aspects such as the guy cooking fresh meat , was using the same tongs to take fresh steak and chicken to put on a grill and then turning and using them to serve cooked meat onto your plate. When we pointed this out to him he just shrugged and carried on. We did not eat the meat after that. For those looking for an upgraded experience then the hotel is nice , the staff are nice and its overall above 3 star but for those expecting a 5 star experience , look past the Sensatori brand as their model is a package holiday of the second best portraying the best are it does not come close to the 5 star experience of other 5 star hotels.

Room Tip: dont book through Sensatori if you want a Melia Room with a view
3  Thank Newbridgeboy101
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This popular hotel is big and so is everything about it; it claims to have the biggest swimming pool in Europe, The colonnaded central plaza is over 30m by 80m, big enough to grace a town, there are over 600 bedrooms and eight restaurants. So think in terms of inclusivity rather than exclusivity.

It certainly has all the facilities required to merit a European Hotelstars Union rating of five stars or luxury. Whether or not it would be your cup of tea, depends on what you are looking for.

The impressive central plaza features a system of water features that every night erupts into a great display of light, water spouts and music.

The Hotel is set in attractive landscaped gardens that are well maintained, with impressive planting.

In addition to the enormous main outdoor pool, there at least two other quite large swimming pools and some of the most expensive suites have their own pools.

There is a substantial entertainment theatre and the restaurants provide for a wide range of tastes. The staff are well trained diligent and helpful. Generally everything of a practical nature that anyone is likely to need on holiday has been thought of.

The top priced offerings include a number of individual villas. These have pleasant gardens and a small pool, a dining gazebo, outside Balinese bed, hammock, large sitting room, double shower, emperor bed, two large tellies, double shower room, dressing room and large bathroom with jacuzzi. Everything in a contemporary style with loads of marble and glass. We are talking real luxury for £1,000 plus a night.

Unfortunately, in 2013, we found a few things not to our liking, despite paying for one of the most expensive packages. The villas are situated quite close to the main pool area, so there was quite a bit of noise from children out there. Also they are built underneath the poolside sun-deck of the so-called 'red level'. At times we were disturbed by metal chairs being moved around above us, at other times people coming down the stairs would peer into the villa garden.

Worse still, although the villas are designed to accommodate just two people, the one adjacent to us was visited every day by two extra people. The foursome made a continual noise every day and really spoilt our holiday. We were surprised that this was tolerated by the management.

Our pool was just large enough for a swim and was maintained at a comfortable 29C. The main pool was, however unheated. In fairness to the Hotel, I think it would be generally uneconomic to heat such large outdoor pools. It is not unusual to find these pools too cold for swimming in the winter months, and the Melia is no exception. Regrettably brochures and promotional material do not seem to make this clear so some holidaymakers might be disappointed.

We were persuaded to upgrade to half board on the basis that there was nowhere to eat in the area immediately outside the hotel. It is true that Al Cala is relatively undeveloped for Tenerife. Around the hotel itself the roads are all new, with smart promenades, cycle tracks and modern lighting. If you walk a little further on you will find abandoned banana plantations surrounded by crumbling walls. A rather depressing site.

But there is more: Follow the promenade towards the town and you will come across the small fishing harbour, popular with sun bathers. A little further and you see the pleasant market square. Around the square and the nearby main street you can find around twenty small places for lunch or a snack. In fact we could get a light lunch with a glass of wine for less than ten Euros each. All within 15 minutes walk of the hotel.

We paid 35 Euros a day each for the upgrade from B&B to half board. Dinner in the busy large main restaurant was covered by the allowance, but the other restaurants were more expensive. We were disappointed, one night in a more intimate venue cost us over 200 Euros extra, yet was nothing special. In another 'Italian' style restaurant, we were cold and I ordered the dish 'Saltimboca'. When served it consisted of a plump chicken breast with a sliver of ham. There was no marsala or sage or veal for that matter. I found it most unappetising.

The main restaurant was buffet service and we found the food there quite good, certainly the best place to eat. It was rather noisy, but on balance the best value for money.

Would we return to the hotel? Probably not, despite very nice weather. I think the place is too big for the sort of quiet, restful, but luxurious holiday that suites us these days. The Hotel tries hard to cater for a wide range of expectations, but I don't think our package really justified the price tag.

For a family holiday, it's probably fine outside the winter months (when the pool temperature would disappoint).

3  Thank Johnny C
Pablo Q, Red Glove Service Manager at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Mr. Johnny C,

In the first place we appreciate your positive comments in relation your recent experience at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. We also thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments.

We are very proud to read your words, specially referring to our facilities. Be sure that your comments will help us to keep improving our service and product. We really appreciate all your comments.

We truly consider all your comments about possible improvements and of course, it would be a pleasure for all of us to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have just returned from a 10 night stay with my partner and I can only describe this hotel as stunning, stylish, elegant and chic. We both enjoyed a fantastic holiday and was overwhelmed by the shear friendliness of all staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. The food was amazing in the Italian and the Pangea (buffet) restaurant. We found the Sensatori reps helpful and available, not that we needed them during our stay, but they always seemed to be around. The pools are lovely and inviting. The infinity pool is cold when you first put your toes in it, but is surprisingly warm and refreshing once you get over the initial shock. I can imagine its even more inviting in the height of the summer. We enjoyed the sunset each night either sat in the chill out area or on our Bali bed, which I would have to urge anyone to book a Bali bed with the full works of fresh fruit delivered to you, morning paper, water, extra towels, sun cream and after sun, canapés & champaign. We felt totally spoilt. It does cost 95 euros but well worth it when you opt not to have your room cleaned and bank 20 euros each time. There are cheaper Bali beds, which only cost 20 euros a day and we enjoyed these just as much. I really can't understand why some have given bad reviews on this hotel as our whole experience was superb. We went with Thomson and was treated no differently, like other reviews have mentioned. I can only assume that the moaners literally looked for something to complain about to possibly think they will get some sort of compensation. If you can't afford it, don't go in the first place!!! Our experience was second to none and we will return again. If your looking for a relaxing, chilled out quality time with your loved ones then this is definitely the place to go. I haven't stopped raving about it to whoever will listen to me since I returned. Please do not listen to the negative reviews. Book it and experience it yourself and you will find out how amazing this hotel is.
Kelly & Darren

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kellyjames72

Dear Mrs. Kellyjames72,

First of all we would like to thank you for giving us the esteemed opportunity of serving you during your stay in Tenerife and for sharing your impressions on Tripadvisor Web Site.

We are very proud to know we have satisfied your expectations. As you know our principal goal is to give you our best service, making your stay exclusive and unforgettable.

We hope you visit us again and of course we will be very pleased to welcome you.
Best greetings.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

A fine relaxing hotel well spread out plenty of pool and relaxing areas with adults only areas available, fully inclusive worked for us and the exclusive pls upgrade for all drinks made life very easy great food options.

Room Tip: Garden Room Suite excellent option.
6  Thank Steve B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Iberostar Grand Hotel El Mirador
GF Gran Costa Adeje
GF Gran Costa Adeje
#18 of 61 in Costa Adeje
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#1 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz
Allegro Isora
Allegro Isora
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#15 of 61 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!