From the moment we arrived, settled into our room and had a wander around the resort (which took a while as its pretty big and spread out) we knew we'd made a great choice. Its not a purpose built package holiday resort but rather a hotel from the Gran Melia group which are generally of a high standard. Thompson have carved out a number of rooms for Sensatori guests and as a result the other guests were from all over Europe giving a more cosmopolitan feel. We had a standard room for the four of us (two girls 2 & 7) and it was v comfortable and well appointed with a good size bathroom.
The range and quality of restuarants were very good with some better than others but that was more down to taste and what suited my kids than quality. Breakfast was great in the main buffet restuarant and its the first time in two weeks on hols that none of us got board with what was offer. They like you to book in advance for dinner 24/48hrs beforehand and you soon get the knack of this and getting where you want when you want. If you've got young children that get you up earlish I suggest you wander down then to book at one of the machines to get a head of the curve. Our favourite for dinner was the Italian (Ocean Club - I think) which was excellent quality and service for an all inclusive holiday. The general standard of service from all the staff again was better than expected. They clearly have a policy of recruiting kid friendly staff which might sound obvious but not always the reality.
The kids club was great as were all the girls supervising. This sounds crazy but the club have sleep overs for kids so that the parents can get a night to themselves. Before arriving and getting a sense of the quality of supervision and feedback from other parents the whole idea left me cold. Anyway may daughter made friends with other kids who all had a sleep over (which included hot chocolate and marsh mellows, movies and story time) and they loved it, so did mum and dad! There were eveing shows (not cheesy), events and bouncy castles which ensured our kids were properly ready for bed at the appropriate time. The huge inflatables in the family pool for the kids twice a week were another winner!
This place set the bench mark for us as a family holiday it was a real wrench leaving as it was of a high quality in an informal, relaxed and safe environment with enough variety for two weeks. Granted (as per in other comments/reviews about the hotel) its not five star plus in the context of Mayfair and Park Lane hotels such as The Dorchester etc. But then that works for me as having stayed in such hotels where the service and quality might be up there, they lack the informality and casualness thats required to ensure you're kids have the best time. But this hotel is still of a good standard sufficient to ensure you've not sold yourself short, indeed far from it.
Would we go again? absolutely it was great! Do I think I might regret not trying somewhere else for a change. Possibly but I am more worried about ending up somewhere else that does not measure up!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The natural beauty of Tenerife combines with an intense passion for service in the most superior luxury hotel on the island. With the Atlantic Ocean at its feet and the majestic Teide as a backdrop, the stunning scenery and eternal spring climate allows the Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora to provide guests with endless magical moments. The hotel has taken care of everything down to the very finest detail in each of its rooms, creating a personalised setting to ensure your total satisfaction. Imagine the experience of viewing the sun setting over the ocean from one of the magnificent rooms in this fantastic resort, the best 5 star hotel in Tenerife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Travelocity and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Palacio De Isora Hotel Alcala
- Gran Melia Guia De Isora
- Palacio De Isora Gran Melia
- Gran Melia Palacio De Isora Resort & Spa Guia De Isora, Tenerife