“We have found our favorite hotel in Tenerife!”

RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alcala
Manamah
“We have found our favorite hotel in Tenerife!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

We were 5 staying at this hotel.after a disappointing experience at Abama we decided to try sth new and exclusive.
I found the idea of a boutique hotel within a bigger hotel very appealing and we were not disappointed: the service was very professional and personal, the food was excellent, the pool was so clean, there were no surprises when paying the bill; very fair prices and lots included in stay.

I would really like to thank the Redlevel team for making my grandparents, parents and my own stay so pleasant.

We had three different rooms (one with large terrace, pool/sea view on ground level, one with backyard ground level and one on first floor with side ocean view and garden view.

All stunning!

True that for butler service jacuzzi you have to ask two hours in advance but you can just do it yourself: fill with hot water, put soap for bubbles (included in bathroom amenities), turn bubbles on, enjoy!!

We have traveled around the world and this hotel goes into our top 5 for sure!

• Stayed December 2013
Ana_Goti, Red Level Director at RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear LouiseV185,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay at Red Level.
Particularly I would like to express to you the great pleasure for the fact that Red Level staff, our food and facilities were able to completely satisfy your and your family’s expectations.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to Red Level in the future and have the opportunity to offer to you and your family our best service once again.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Turkish first
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 1, 2013

First of all, if you plan your trip to Gran Melia Tenerife and you don't have kids with you, then you HAVE to choose the RED Level part it's worth every single euro spent.
The hotel - amazing work from the architects with a thought to the customer, great alleys, flowers, pools, view to the ocean,having breakfast and looking at the islands nearby.. priceless!
My only remark would be to the "Ocean" restaurant, where probably because I was too late for dinner (21??) I've got some heated potatoes instead of instantly prepared, however all the other restaurants are offering great kitchen (and pricy :) ).
You might also consider going in a bit warmer months November - December.. are 'winter' months and at least me and my wife experienced very strong winds for two of the days, but we came to relax and it was still wonderful :) Oh and you HAVE to take a balibed - as the advert says - the pool experience as it should be!
Special greets to Jose with whom we couldn't say bye as he had probably day off :)

Room Tip: ask for room as far from the main part of the hotel as possible - you will save yourself from additi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stanleyivanov
Dear stanleyivanov,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing Red Level at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora for your holiday and for spending time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.
It is a great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities. Also thank you very much for your feedback on your pool experience and Bali Beds.
I appreciate your comments regarding the potatoes served at Club Ocean; they have been reported to the General Maitre for a detailed investigation.
Your greetings have been sent to Jose, who is really pleased to send his regards to you and, as all the Red Level staff, to wish you the best for the New Year.

Sincerely
Chalfont St Giles
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Don't bother booking through a travel agent. Book direct with the hotel to get the best deals.
The staff in the Red Level are attentive and professional and the whole Red Level experience delivers.

Look forward to my next visit in May 2014

Room Tip: Choose a sea facing room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dogskiblack
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We agonised before booking whether it would be worth the extra cost to stay in the Red Level rather than the main hotel, and we are so very glad we decided to go for it.

The Red Level has a calm, relaxed atmosphere more fitting to a boutique hotel than a sprawling 600-room complex, and even though there is no physical barrier between the two they are like chalk and cheese.

We went for a basic deluxe room as we don’t spend our holidays shut away behind closed doors, but prefer to be around the pool or out and about. The room itself was a very good size, well equipped, with a very large, comfortable bed. Red Level guests have a pillow menu, and as I find pillows so often a disaster, this was hugely welcome.

The rooms are made up twice daily (most days – although we were missed one evening) and are immaculate. They are in tip-top condition and sparklingly clean, as are the public areas.

The Red Level lounge/reception area has an intimate feel to it and we found the staff all extremely pleasant and helpful. You can help yourself to coffee (from a Nespresso machine) and water all day.

Although you are entitled to breakfast in the main buffet restaurant, which is huge, there is a much more relaxed atmosphere on the Red Level terrace, where there is a choice from a smaller buffet as well as an a la carte menu.

Much of the benefit of the Red Level is about atmosphere and intimacy, but one supposedly tangible “extra” is the evening cocktails, and it is here that I was tempted to dock a mark off the hotel’s rating. It was quite simply a shambles. Between 6 and 7 pm, there is an open bar – which is good – but the accompanying nibbles were nothing short of laughable. On most evenings there were well over 50 people around and the main – usually very tasty - canapés came from the kitchen in batches of about 16. These would all have vanished by 1 minute past 6, and people then hung around like vultures for the next delivery. Instead of coming right out with refills, there would be up to 10 minutes to wait, and this really brought out the worst in our fellow guests. They had no compunction in taking up to four pieces each, so reducing the availability even further. By the third evening, we decided to drop out of the race. It was simply too undignified. I have stayed in many “executive” wings across the world with similar offerings, and never come across anything quite so badly organised as this.

Still, it was just a small niggle in what was otherwise a thoroughly enjoyable stay. One of the joys was being right next to Alcala, a really authentic small village with at least a couple of excellent restaurants, which we far preferred to the on-site restaurants.

As far as the poor people who were robbed goes, although I have every sympathy with their being scared by someone entering their room, the hotel does provide an easily accessible and excellent safe in every room and anyone who fails to use it must accept partial responsibility for any losses they may incur. It seems these people left the room without even noticing that their expensive watches were missing, so they clearly had taken no care in securing them.

We were also there when the two dogs that were previously mentioned were in residence, and I must say that although they did not disturb us personally I do not particularly relish the idea of sharing my holiday space with a dog, nor of thinking that a dog may have been present in my room before me. So I do hope the management will stick to their promise to keep dogs away in future.

Room Tip: Unless you're going to spend a lot of time on your balcony, the basic Deluxe Room is more than a...
4 Thank Amazonian
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Well My wife and I just returned from a red level week at this Grand Melia Hotel and our room was 1089 next to the previous reviewer who was robbed! What a terrible thing to happen! As these are rooms with a little back yard on the ground floor they are quite private and indeed as shown by your terrible experience at night anybody could get into the back of the building/room either over the small back gate or indeed by just unlatching it!
We stayed at this hotel a year ago for a week in the middle of October and had such a good week we decided to do the same again this year. After the previous horror story our experiences are so tame I feel a little silly even mentioning them!
At our request the red level staff put us in the same room as last year as it overlooked the garden and was quite quiet which we like when you are trying to relax only to find that our next door room had a yapping dog as a guest, the type that has a matching coat to it's owner and needs to be picked up and carried as it's legs don't work?
Anyway the red level staff were great and moved us to a ground floor room away from the pest /barking. I thought it would have been better to inconvenience the pesky dog owner as they were causing the trouble really. Anyway move we did!
After one quiet night in the new room on the ground floor we we were shocked to find that the previously empty room next door had new people in it and yes you guessed it WITH ANOTHER YAPPING DOG ! It was different to the previous one only by black markings on it's ears . The hotel has over 600 rooms and when I asked how many dogs were in residence. They said only 2 I know which two as they were both neighbours of ours.
I actually thought it was quite funny as the red level management really did not know quite what to do and again they did not offer to move the dog so for the remainder of our week we had a dog as a neighbour.
The red level manager Ana and her staff were really nice and looked after us well during our stay so it is difficult to complain about dogs but they have assured me that they will not allow any more dogs in the red level!
After reading about the robbery next door and our dog saga I do think the RED level management team need to be mor proactive and empowered to really sort issues out for their clients,this is not a cheap week away and the sort of guest having these kinds of experiences should be looked after better as they can go somewhere else very easily next time!
On a brighter note we were on a full board basis and the food and drink in every restaurant we went to was excellent., the service was good and given with a smile and I would find it difficult to find fault in this area!
The hotel is very clean indeed, the swimming pools spotless. And all the staff friendly and attentive.
The hotel was very full whilst we were there and a bit crowded in the evening but this did not stop us enjoying our week !
I did find it a little diffucult tipping people for good service as one person would take a dinner order another would pour drinks another would bring the food and another would clear away the table, this also happened in the Red level lounge, restaurant and around the pool, they were all nice and helpful but you would be broke if you tipped everyone, I am certainly not mean but feel a central sharing tip system would be a good idea as I do like to reward good service ! My wife and I would stay here again but on a high floor preferably with no dog as a neighbour or if there was one it could fly as well as yap!
Best regards

Room Tip: A high floor!
6 Thank Chris A
Ana_Goti, Red Level Director at RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Chris A,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure for us to know that you have a good experience regarding our staff during your stay at Red Level in Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora. We are sorry if your experience with us was not as pleasant as we wish, for the inconvenience with the dog in the other room. Regarding this last point we made several changes in order to keep the calm and relaxing ambience that we always have in Red Level.
Client’s satisfaction is our ultimate commitment . Hoping to accommodate you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
staocton on tees
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband & I have just returned from a week at this hotel.We go on holiday about 3 times a year & always choose quite exclusive properties for total luxury & relaxation which is what we thought we would get here,& on arrival we were not disappointed,its a stunning property,However nothing could have prepared us for the chain of events that were about to unfold!!
My husband & I go on holiday to recharge our batteries as we work really long hours & stressful jobs at home.Holiday for us is relaxing,good food & wine.We are a very quiet & private couple.We pretty much do the same each evening which is mainly dinner & a few drinks.We arrived at the Gran Melia on Tuesday 15th October.After being shown to our room,we were staying on the Red Level which is the adult only part of the hotel, we had a walk out to the nearby village for a look about.We went for a walk most days & after a couple of days my husband commented that anyone could come & go in this hotel,there is no wristband system & we were never once asked to prove that we were staying there,i made a joke saying maybe they know every person that inhabits all 608 rooms at this hotel & never thought no more about it!
On the Saturday evening we done what we do most evenings which was a few drinks then dinner at 9.30 p.m at the Market Grill( we left our room at 8p.m)We left the grill at 11.15pm after tipping the waiter & made our way back to our room.The room had been prepared for dress down by the cleaner/butler as it was every evening.i went straight to bed & my husband watched the sports results for a half hour.I woke up at 1.10am unusually warm,which I found very strange as we hadn't had anissue all week & the air conditioning system is top notch.I visited the bathroom & just presumed that my husband had turned off the air conditioning,not wanting to wake him up I just removed my nightwear to cool down.I woke again at 3.45am again really warm,after visiting the bathroom I noticed that the curtain was hanging out of the window,& the window was open.i woke my husband to tell him about the window,in a deep sleep he said the cleaner will have opened it,i said no why would they do that it would stop the airconditioning working.he said stop being silly & get back into bed,I saw my husbands trousers slumped over the case whwre he always laid them after a night out,i could see his wallet in his pocket,so I closed the window & thought maybe I was just worrying over nothing,That end of the room was better illuminated as I always sleep with the bathroom light on.I closed the window & got back inti bed.
The following morning we needed sun tan cream so went to the shop on site to purchase some,it was when my husband went to pay & opened his wallet that the signifigance of the open window came to reality!! We had been robbed in our own room why we were sleeping!! We rushed back to the room to find they had also taken my Gucci watch off the bedside table next to me,& my husbands Bretling watch from the bathroom!!! I was physically sick someone had been within half of foot of me why I lay asleep naked!!OMG!! We contacted reception who told us we would need to got to the police station,they phoned us a taxi as it was in the next town,we had no money as it had all been robbed & they said not to worry they would take care of it.
We went to the police station made a statement & they came out & took photographs as there were clear footprints where they had climbed in the window off the window sill.The window cannot be opened from the outside,so who opened that window??why was it robbed while we were in?? The hotel say that this has never happened before yet we heard the night before we left that it had also happened to an elderly gentleman.The hotel moved us to a higher floor as we were on the bottom floor (room 1088)).I never slept for the last 3 days of my holiday & I cannot tell you mentally what this has done to me & my husband, we are so traumatised.
On check out I spoke to the Red Level Manager about what was happening about what had happened to us,she said the investigation was still going on & that she would email mewith its progress.When I asked how this had been able to happen she just said she did not know.We went for 1 week & lost 4 days of what should have been one of our most fantastic holidays,instead it was the most horriffic experience of our lives. I asked how the hotel was going to compensate us for what had happened & I was told they were not!!! Priceless! The manager even told me that it was costing the hotel because they had hired an extra security guard(none of which I saw during my stay)& 1 man had spent looking at cameras for 1 day which also cost money because he should have been doing other things!!!Never mind that my husband & I had had £1000 stolen & £8000 of watches,never mind the trauma of a man stood half a foot away from me while I lay naked!!!ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! & that's not all,when I paid the bill they had even put the price of the taxi on it to take us to the police station!!!
Stay at this hotel but sleep with one eye open,fear of whos coming in your room!! Hence to say I will be putting an official complaint in with the melia chains head office! ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL TREATMENT!

Room Tip: If you are brave enough to stay at this hotel after reading this,dont stay on the lower level becaus...
Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
50 Thank allisonkaren
lincolnshire
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a holiday at this hotel. We stayed in the Red Level and found it absolutely superb. The staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was very well appointed with a fabulous bathroom including a large bath and rain shower. It was lovely to stroll down to breakfast and sit out on the terrace and look over the sea to La Gomera.
We ate at the four main restaurants and found all of them to be very good indeed. One advantage of the Red Level was that it was so easy to book all the restaurants. The quality of the food was excellent with a very good choice.
We went on 2 days out to Teide and La Gomera with the operator suggested by the staff at the red level.(Tenerife Excursions) Although the Teide trip was interesting, the courier was very poor.
All in all this hotel is first class and the Red Level is certainly worth the extra. We shall return

1 Thank KenLincolnshire
Dear KenLincolnshire,

Warm greetings from Red Level at Gran Meliá Palacio de Isora!
We hugely appreciate your kind and sincere words because for us your feedback is very important. It is a great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our exclusive Red Level Service has reached your expectations. Your comments help us to improve day to day to provide the best service to our guest.

Thank you again for your kind rewiew and we hope to see you again in Tenerife
With best Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alcala
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resort & Spa
Hotel Las Madrigueras Golf Resor...
#1 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
Jardines de Nivaria - Adrian Hoteles
Royal Garden Villas
Royal Garden Villas
#1 of 57 in Costa Adeje

Been to RedLevel at Gran Melia Palacio de Isora? Share your experiences!