“Truly amazing!”

Ranked #2 of 5 things to do in Paoay
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I love visiting old churches and this church has become my favorite. By just looking at it, you know that it has withstand a lot of challenges, that it has a lot of stories to tell. Our tour guide told us that the church was built during the Spanish era and look at it now, still standing amidst strong typhoons and earthquakes.if I were to have my pre nuptial pic, i'll choose this place for my friends to envy!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visited the church on a self-made tour from Laoag, taking a jeepney to Paoay, a tricycle around the area, and a jeepney back. I liked the town a lot. It's small, friendly, and walkable. The driver dropped me off at the back of the church and pointed out where I should go. The church itself is interesting and beautiful. I especially liked the architecture. A couple young women told me where to eat and how to find the ancestral houses.From Paoay, it's easy to ride to the lake and to the Marcos house and the Marcos family house. It makes a good day tour from Laoag.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Paoay church, together with 3 other churches, share the distinction of being inscribed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites, collectively known as the Baroque churches of the Philippines: San Agustin in Intramuros, Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Miag-Ao, Iloilo and Santa Maria in Ilocos Sur.

The Good:
- Compared to other century-old churches in the Philippines, Paoay's facade is beautifully restored
- Very clean surroundings
- Near restaurants and transport terminals

The Bad:
- The roof and the side doorways of the church are poorly restored

You can also follow the Marcos trail if you are within the area. For two hundred pesos, you can hire a tricycle to take you to the Malacanang of the north (a Marcos mansion) and the Marcos Presidential Center in nearby Batac, where the remains of former president Ferdinand Marcos lay preserved in a glass coffin. Ask to stop at Paoay Lake and the Suba sand dunes for some nature adventure at no extra cost.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

A definite must visit when in Ilocos. We took a jeep from Laoag City that took about 30 minutes and cost PHP36 if I remember correctly. The structure is just so beautiful. It is being repaired inside when we went there but the windows and the statues speak of the old days. It still has the pulpit where the priests speaks.

Walk around for food and drinks. There is even a hotel near there. Try the local street food artem for a snack. It is near the city hall so there is a restroom.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The beauty of the church is really amazing on sunset. The limestone colors catches up with the sun's light..