“Too good to be shared”

JavaCove Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cijulang
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Wow, where to start, this hotel is like a little paradise in the middle of nowhere.
This place is just amazing, actually this place is so great that my first thought was to be selfish and not write on trip advisor, in order to keep this little treasure for ourselves.

The hotel is amazing, not fancy at all, but just opposite surfing beach, staff is more than awesome, they are all super attentive from the security guard to cleaner not to forget receptionist and all the other staff who is there to make your stay super enjoyable.

I was suppose to stay there 10 days ended up spending two weeks. I was that close to never leave that place.

Thank you all for the great time, thanks to Paul and Nik for sharing this beautiful place. You guys turned this hotel into a little heaven. You really know how to look after your guests.

Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: March 2014

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I've heard and read many of the great reviews for Java Cove and decided to experience it firsthand. We had a very pleasant experience from an efficient, attentive and knowledgeable staff. It was definitely one of the most relaxing stays I've had in southeast Asia!

My family made the long trip by van from Jakarta and used the driver service booked through the hotel. Our driver was prompt, courteous and friendly even though it took approximately 10 hours through some heavy traffic east of Bandung. If you want to make this trip overland I suggest using the service booked through the Java Cove staff. Our driver made this trip several times and knew local dining spots and shortcuts along the way. We felt very safe the entire time and didn't have any mechanical issues.

Even though we arrived later in the evening, the staff was ready for us with drinks as they expedited our check in. Our room for three was very open and I could tell it was set up for a beach/surfing vacation. The interior had a sturdy wood floor and there were plenty of towel racks both inside and out. The room was clean, cool and one of the better stays we've experienced in Indonesia. I could tell the staff really took the time to maintain the "details" that make the difference between a great beach resort and just another place to sleep. This is the main reason we will return again to enjoy West Java. There was a modern feel without loosing any of the conveniences and we were very comfortable. I think because the hotel has a smaller footprint it has a more personal feel and the staff make an effort to get to know each guest.

I can't really say enough about how the hotel management reinforces the relationship with the local community. They suggest eating at the smaller restos and warungs in the area and encourage exploring everything Pangandaran has to offer. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer! There is so much to see and do that we've already made plans for a three night return trip. We were spoiled by the location of the hotel so close to the beach that we didn't really venture out further and take the various tours to spectacular nature preserves. Even though my daughter was sick during most of the stay, she loved the beautiful dark sand beach and gentle waves in the bay. She is begging to head back because of the bed, food and reliable wi-fi service.

Java Cove is a somewhat hidden gem for surfers and tourists looking to get away from the heavy tourist areas within Indonesia. Yes, it's a little out of the way but that's what makes this place so special and now I understand why so many reviewers want to come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2014

The best way to sum up our experience is this: The manager woke at 2am and went to the kitchen himself (the staff were still sleeping) to prepare us breakfast to take on the road. We had a 3am start for our 9 hour drive to Bandung. It was such a wonderful surprise, so thoughtful and we were extremely touched and grateful. Although the car trip was interesting and comfortable and both drivers excellent, I think next time we will brave it and fly, those 18 hours would have been more fun at Batukaras!

The owner, Paul, clearly cares about his hotel, the local community, his staff and his guests. He is also a great guy and makes time for each guest during their stay. He lives locally and has great tips for things to do.

The hotel is not overly luxurious but it has a lovely atmosphere, our room was big, bright and cheerful with a view of the beach; they were clean and the air con was much appreciated. I am used to five stars and this hotel is not that, but it makes up for it by being small and friendly and sooo relaxed (and less expensive!). We had an ocean view room upstairs and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony. I recommend bringing your own toiletries like shampoo and soap because they provide basic shampoo and soap only. Also bring tissues, there aren't any in the room. I recommend the laundry service should you need it, they looked after my clothes.

The staff are delightful and always happy to bring drinks or food to you in the pool area. There are not staff at your beck and call all day like at some big resorts, but they are by the pool quite often and they are friendly, cheerful locals who you enjoy getting to know. You can always pop downstairs to ask for drinks or food if the staff are otherwise occupied.

I adored Batukaras. The staff helped us hire a motor bike and we rode to a local Warung for delicious meals which was great fun, and also to visit the magnificent Green Canyon. I recommend a trip down the river and a swim. The beach was nice for swimming but I liked lying by the pool with a cold Bintang or milkshake. No one bothers you at the beach or the warungs and the local Warung owners speak enough English to make ordering easy, and they are a minutes walk from the hotel. The ones we went to all have beer! Neither of us had any tummy upsets what so ever. This is not Bali, there are no real shops or bars. It's a fishing village and local tourist area and is probably a more "real" experience of Indonesia.

The hotel has a small friendly vibe and I enjoyed chatting to other guests, but there is certainly no requirement to do so; the last night we were there nearly all of us ended up coincidently at Bayview (the recommended Warung that is open on the weekends) and it was a great atmosphere. Delicious sea food!

My husband enjoyed surfing the reef and he rode the motor bike there (a few minutes away) with the board attached to a holder they provided, and also surfing across the road at the beach. It is not a big wave like Uluwatu but it is a fun long board wave. It's nice to be across the road from the surf. There are ok boards for hire at the beach and next time we won't bother lugging a long board around airports.

I recommend JavaCove to surfers who would like to take their spouses on a surf trip and to any one wanting a real Indonesian relaxation holiday. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angel-Rae
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Wonderful staff, they seemed to always anticipate what was needed, nothing was too much trouble, they made being there so easy whether hiring a motorbike, getting a massage or ordering one of their healthy super delicious cocktails and they always seemed happy. The attention to detail is wonderful, not over the top but well thought out and beautiful. Great music selection in the bar and pool area, the simple menu was perfect and the setting hard to beat - well I could go on and on but you'll have to see for yourself!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We had an amazing two week stay at JavaCove Beach Hotel and the service was fantastic each day we there. Everything is spotless and well kept.
We loved the fire that was made by the pool some evenings. Our room was spacious with a great view of the waves and the air-conditioning was well appreciated.
The owner and staff were just the best! We organized a motorbike with their help a few times; cheap to rent and a fun way of traveling to the surrounding villages.
I loved the comfy pool area while my husband was out surfing most days. The breakfast that was included was delicious and there are a few options to choose from.
We're glad we got to see the stunning Green Canyon that is close by. The food at the local restaurants was also very tasty! Thank you so much for a great stay!
We got exactly what we saw on the pictures.

Wynand and Stephanie from South Africa

Room Tip: Room with air-conditioning is great!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie V
Reviewed March 10, 2014

It was amazing to stay in this hotel. The service was very good. I enjoyed stay at JavaCove. Love the foods and the people. Javaclub sandwich was the best sandwich i ever had. Keep up the good work. I will come back, definitely!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I am writing this review as I sit in my favourite nook by the pool at Java Cove and watch as the dragonflies dance in the sky above with the swallows (Indonesian bird name I can't recall but have on good authority they were not bats - phew)

It's hard not to fall into
the chill of this place
quickly. The tropical gardens are immaculately designed and kept so you have a green canopy of peace everywhere.

When you are next to or in the infinity pool you have this spectacular view over the beach. You can sit and watch the comings and goings of the village all day. A lot more fun on the weekend when the domestic tourists come to the beach for the day and giggle and squeal while riding and falling off the banana boat.

If you get sick of the pool (which I never do) you just wander across the street for a swim in the ocean. The water is inviting and a safe place to swim.

The rooms are beautiful, simple and very clean. Java Cove are very committed to providing an environmentally responsible hotel and they achieve this in their rooms, fittings and fixtures. Less is more.

The breakfast is delicious and a great start to the day or after your morning swim. The tomato mixture served with the eggs is heaven in a bowl.

I could point out every little perfection with this hotel
from the food, service, amenities, cleanliness and the views but that's just it. Everything is perfect.

Setting this hotel apart from every hotel around the world is the people who work here. They are the sweetest souls and always have a big wide smile for you whenever you see them. We have come to know the family of Java cove well and they are all truly professional and kind.

Paul (owner) is such a great guy and we enjoyed our nightly chats with him over a beer or two, three.....

I have only one complaint about Java cove and that is that our
time there is never long enough.

Thanks for another memorable stay!

Ms Trudy and Mr Andy

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Trudethedude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cijulang
Uni Beach Hotel
Horison Palma Pangandaran
#1 of 16 in Pangandaran
Sunrise Resort Batu Karas Hotel
The Ermaja's Pavilion Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to JavaCove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!