“Fantastic and magical place!”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Wow! What a wonderful hotel. The building and surrounding area is beautiful, staff were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Hotel and room spotlessly clean. Bathroom had a massive deep bath, big shower and a lovely view of the old chapel (Room 1) The bed was huge and very comfy ( maybe softer pillows would have made it a little comfier but still slept very well) a massive flat screen t.v brought the room bang up to date. A fridge is supplied in the room with fresh milk (nice touch) and 2 very comfy chairs and a small table in the window meant you could sit and look at the lovely view in comfort.
Pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna all very clean and contemporary, everything in the spa looked brand new and again spotlessly clean.
Breakfast was fine, my husband had room service due to him having to leave for work early. It was delivered at the correct time and was hot with plenty of toast, coffee and all looked fresh and good quality ingredients.
I went to breakfast later on and had no problems at all, loved the little jug of orange juice that was brought to my table, breakfast room was a bit dark but not really a problem, it's an old house so quirkiness is to be expected and a buffet breakfast in an old chapel is pretty cool!
Bags were brought down from my room and taken out to the car by Damon who I thought was great! He chatted the whole time about the history of the house, the ghosts and what the surrounding area could offer I wish my staff were this good!
Overall I loved the hotel, it's not often you stay somewhere these days that has a bit of a wow factor but this place did. If you fancy eating out about 3 miles away there is a lovely gastro pub called The Howard Arms in a place called Ilmington we had a really enjoyable meal there. We Will definitely be staying at Ettington park again, hopefully in Nov when the log fires will be lit and the grounds will be covered by a sprinkling of frost magical!

2  Thank RCJW
Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed September 3, 2009

Loved it. Lovely peaceful location, grand well-maintained interior, excellent staff even if the breakfast service was a bit slow. Will definitely return

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed here to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary and booked into the Stour Suite. On arrival to the hotel we were impressed by the building itself but once inside I felt very disappointed with the greeting we received. Our room was not ready, this was 2.40pm, which was not a problem as were a bit early, but we were just left in the foyer waiting for somebody to guide us to be seated whilst waiting, this never happened and we ended up wandering off into the bar area, we were not offered a drink and there was nobody there to ask for one.

We didn't wait too long for the room and we were eventually shown to the suite by a lovely bloke, whose name I cannot remember but he was the main Concierge and he was very polite and professional, considering he has a disability he has overcome it very well to provide a wonderful service.

I was not overly impressed with the room, for the money we paid we had the smallest wardrobe in the world but the bed was a huge four poster which was very nice until we pulled back the sheets to find 3 of the pillow cases were heavily stained, one with blood, and there was a piece of glass in the bed. I can only ssume that the glass was from a glass next to the bed that may have been smashed. I reported this straight away and the receptionist offered no apology and merely said she would get in touch with housekeeping. An hour went by and nobody had come to the room so I phoned back to be told they would change the sheets at Turn Down. I found this totally unacceptable but as we were going into Stratford Centre for a meal we just showered and went out.

Nobody apologised for the state the bed was in, I mentioned it to the Deputy Manager at Check Out and he was horrified and has offered us a free night's stay at the hotel but we won't be taking him up on this mainly due to the fact we live too far away to make it worthwhile going for one night.

We wanted something extra special and unfortunately it lacked in every department for us. We were both disappointed with the hotel and would not stay again.

I wasn't going to write a reivew as I don't like writing negative reviews but after reading [--] review who encountered similar problems I felt it necessary.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed from Saturday till Thuesday at Ettington Park. The location is fantastic, the house looks spectacular with a very tidy apprearance. We were welcomed friendly and professionaly. When we checked in we asked for a cot for our bady - no problem. Our booking confirmation said that we can check in at 3 p.m. Finally the room was ready at 4:30 which was not very good as our daughter wanted to sleep. Not a good start. The room (17, the biggest from the side tract) was very nice, modern with lots of space. As it was adjusted for a disabled person there was no bath (sadly). We checked the out the pool - great. Good sized pool, very warm jacuzzi (our daughter loved it), and the steam room was very hot (as it should be). Did not go to the sauna. They do a lot of weddings there, so usually not too many people in the spa area. Most of the time we had the spa for ourselves. Dinner at our room was very good - again great service. Good value. Ok its not a michelin star restaurant, but its still very good and the prices are ok. Breakfast was also high standard with part buffet part a la card. So they make the fried eggs with bacon and this sort of things for you. I found the breakfast and dinning room a little dark with all that dark wood. The drawing room where you can have lunch and tea on the other side is fantastic - also with the terrace.
As we had our little daughter with us we mainly stayed at the hotel and the park. The park is very big so no problem. Its what you expect from an estate like that. Big old trees, a little stream, the park surrounded by farmland and you see sheeps in the distance...
Apart from the late check in into our room all was very good. If you want a relaxed weekend in the countryside, with high standard (not 5 star but close) at very good price thats it. We will certainly come back. I looked at different rooms as well - probably a different room with a bath next time. The suits are stunning.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank klaus068
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My new husband and I recently spent a weekend at the Ettington Park hotel, weekend 29th – 31st Aug 09. The above package was purchased for us as a wedding gift to which we added an extra night stay. You mention in the experience description that “for that extra special treat, complimentary Champagne and chocolates would be ready for our arrival”. Well I can tell you one thing for sure, it wasn’t. We actually had to request it! Plus when the chocolates eventually arrived it was delivered on a cheap plate covered in clingfilm! One has to ask is this really appropriate for something that is supposed to be a treat in what is promised to be a luxury hotel experience? On arrival we also mentioned to the bell boy that our remote control did not work properly. He promised us and engineer but an engineer never arrived. On sitting on the bed we discovered the mattress to be of poor quality. Having then spent the night on it I woke up with a bad upper back. The mattress was squeeky and of poor quality. Again this should not be the case in a hotel for which our expectations where high. The bed cover was also stained. Again, disappointing as you would expect! We also found the walls to be very thin. We could hear a gentleman snoring in the next room plus details of their conversation. This, I am sure you would agree, was rather offputting.

We did enjoy a meal in the Oak room restaurant one night. Apart from the fact the wine menu was falling apart and the food was overpriced – (£35 for a tomato soup and salmon?) overall the experience was pleasant. The waitress did, however, forget our order of two coffees at the end of the meal. On being reminded she promised they would be delivered to our room. They were not – we had to follow up the delivery with a phone call. One has to ask that when one has made an error already should it really be corrected by another oversight? I think not. On checking out there was only one person on the desk. That one person was supposed to check everyone out and answer phone enquiries. The phone was consequently ignored. Surely check out should be fully staffed being the busiest time of the day?

Overall, I would say that if you are going to charge £185 a night for a standard hotel room (not cheap you might agree) you do not expect all of the above problems. One would like to expect certain standards. Unfortuantely it was clear to us from the beginning the hotel was never going to deliver this. I feel very strongly about pointing out these faults to you in the hope that you might do something to improve the situation so that other guests might not experience the problems we did and you might consider revising the standards of the hotel. If everyone cared a little bit more and spent a bit more time on the detail, this hotel could deliver something quite special. In the meantime what it delivers is sub standard and I am sorry to say we left feeling rather cheated. We have no problem with paying a high price for something extraordinary but we dislike paying a substantial sum of money for something that fell way short of our expectations. The hotel was indeed a beautiful building set in a beautiful location but these features alone are not enough to deliver a luxury hotel experience.

1  Thank gregcole1978
Reviewed August 21, 2009

We stayed on a Friday evening having booked the Summer deal of dinner, bed and breakfast with a glass of pink champagne and canapes before dinner for £170.00 for the two of us

The hotel itself is out of Stratford town centre - but not too far away and easy enough to find

We arrived around 3pm and were greeted by some very friendly staff one of which showed us to our room

We then went for a drink on the terrace and this is when we first realised what a beautiful hotel it was, although I have to admit the drinks prices were beautiful as well, a glass of Pimms was £7.00!

After our drink we then went for a wander around the grounds, which were beautifully kept, the grounds also have a lovely stream at the bottom - very English! we were also very lucky as the weather was great

We then went to the spa, we were the only ones in there for around 40 minutes so we had the use of the pool, loungers, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room to ourselves

The bedroom was modern and tasefully decorated with fruit and chocolates and Country Life magazines to peruse with a lovely view out of the front of the hotel onto the grounds - Oh and it had a proper hair dryer that was powerful and you didn't have to keep your finger on the button to keep it going !!!

The nice thing was there wasn't a modern extension stuck on the back, which you so often find at these kind of old house hotels, there was an extension, but it fitted in with the original building

The meal was nice - it wasn't mind blowing like a Mitchelin star but then it would probably be very expensive

After dinner we went into the lounge for post dinner drinks and coffee where we played a board game which was left for guests to use - a nice touch I thought

I have to say I slept very well that night and felt nice and refreshed for my breakfast - which was exceptional - the hot food was made to order rather than it being on a hot buffet

All in all a lovely stay - would highly recommend

Reviewed August 15, 2009

Took my parents here for a 3 night break and went for the special deal (dinner, bed, breakfast and champagne each night). This was fantastic value - the hotel is first class and what marks it out is the service - who does training / management should be congratulated, nothing is too much trouble, everyone is friendly and looks as though they actually enjoy their job and this makes for an enjoyable stay. Food is excellent, especially breakfast, everything is very good quality and little touches like homeade preserves, decent local produce really add to the experience. Evening set dinner had limited choices (3 starters, 3 mains etc) this changed every other day. You can go off set menu for additional charges and this when things add up, drinks, coffee etc are expensive, but for what worked out at £65 per person per night for dinner included, who's complaining?! Rooms were excellent, great TVs, nice bathrooms, air conditioning etc, everything you would expect at a 4/5* hotel. Check where yourrooms is, as some are in a courtyard. I think rooms in main hotel probably have most character and nicest views etc. what was also nice was the hotel had a good mix of young couples, families, and on the last day we were there, a wedding party. There was plenty of people watching in the bar / lounge, which my folks liked. I'd recommend this hotel without hesitation. Have stayed at another Hand Picked Hotel (Buxton park in Sussex) and would say this group is head and shoulders above many of the others. Looking forward to trying out some of the others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank memberRossonWye
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Ettington Chase Hotel
Ettington Chase Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ettington

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!