My rating reflects the title of the report and NOT the service or its staff.
The hotel is indeed majestic; set in wonderful grounds and offering luxurious rooms; the beds and bedding are of exceptional quality. The dining experience is exceptionally good; interesting, tasty and well presented food - I have a food allergy and the chef was imaginative in the options offered.
The staff are outstandingly polite, helpful and nothing is too much for them and they often preempt requirements; an umbrella for the rain for example.
The ethos is to please and not to be pedantic; if you need more tea/water/toiletries - they are provided with speed and without 'additional cost'. They are very fair.
So why my rating - well, I am speech-deaf due to MS. I provided prior warning of this condition because I cannot hear alarms and wanted a special alarm (which the hotel provided) placed in the room (as it happens, there was a fire alarm alert and evacuation during our visit!). MS renders one tired at frequent and unexpected times in the day - and as this was a four day stay, I expected to spend some considerable time in my room. I had booked an executive room with a seating area and was actually looking forward to some viewing, on the large flat-screened TV that is 'boasted' as one of the room features. Sadly, the TV did not have a subtitle facility and that goes for all rooms - they do not have the technology apparently. As it happened, I became unwell on the first afternoon and was confined to the room.
Some may say - well, there is plenty of other things that one could do and I am not without imagination, but I expect that if all the TVs in the hotel did not have sound, every guest would have complained to reception!
This was a birthday trip and a thank you to my partner for all he does to support me. It was 'just' the TV - but it really took the edge off the stay, made it hard work for me to remain occupied whilst under the weather and isolated me from what is going on; news etc.
The hotel management were very sorry and very understanding; they offered to relocate us to a hotel where there were subtitles on the TV. However, the journey from Bournemouth and the unpacking etc had already taken its toll and I did not feel up to moving. The management have assured me that the subtitles facility will be installed asap and note will be sent to other Hand Picked hotels in the group.
I have placed this item in my report for the benefit of the deafened and their families. 1 in 6 people in Great Britain have hearing loss and increasingly this is in the 35-50 age group, in addition to the elderly (I am a lipreading teacher so am aware of this). When there is no other sound and noone with the patience to communicate with the deaf person, a TV with subtitles is a distraction. Public places tick the diversity box with facilities for the wheelchair bound, but disability comes in many forms; the most isolating being deafness.
Just while on the subject of 'access' - I was saddened to note that on day 4, the disabled parking spaces (indicated by a movable sign) disappeared and became reserved parking for conference attendees - their names were printed on the signs and they were the closest spaces to the main door.
Back to the positive - this is the friendliest and one of the most comfortable hotels in which I have stayed; a special mention to 'William' from the restaurant, who when transferring my food to my room due to me being unwell, asked my partner about my welfare and if there was anything that could be done to help. All staff were outstandingly kind.
I would like to return there at some point after the technology is sorted out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ettington Park Hotel, the only AA 4 Red Star hotel in Stratford-Upon-Avon, is set in 40 acres of parkland in a verdant valley with the River Stour meandering through it. Situated just six miles from the centre of the famed home of Shakespeare and just a few miles from the start of The Cotswold Way, this spectacular property is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of contemporary life. Built from six types of Cotswold stone, Ettington Park is furnished with fine paintings and decorated with friezes that trace its centuries of tradition and heritage. This is a country house where historic extravagance meets contemporary comfort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Ettington Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Ettington Park
- Ettington Park Stratford Upon Avon
- Ettington Hotel Park
- Ettington Park Hotel Alderminster, England, UK