“A Gothic Delight”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed July 11, 2013

It is hard to describe the impact of the beautiful tree lined drive and at the end you come across this wonderful Gothic mansion with its fabulous views across the countryside and the church that dates back to the doomsday book.I had taken my wife there as a anniversary surprise her reaction was priceless. From the moment you walk in through the marvelous entrance until you wave it a sad goodbye the staff to a tee are faultless they could not do enough.Our room was excellent and all the amenities you would expect from a hand picked hotel, the bed was soft and comfy and afforded a good nights sleep. The bathroom was functional with a good shower and a bath if you prefer.The restaurant was brilliant food excellent and the waiting staff very attentive and accommodating and I must say they have a brilliant chef.May I say a big thank you to the concierge a happy chap who although he has tourettes Was a mind of information on the history of the hotel and of course the resident ghosts, and took the time to walk us around and pointed out the ghostly areas,I wish every hotel had a concierge like him.
If you are looking to pamper yourself (or the other half) I wholeheartedly recommend the Ettington Park Hotel,this Gothic mansion with all its wonders offers relief from the daily strife of life. I can still see the view as I sat pint in hand looking across the hills and thinking it cannot get any better than this

Room Tip: The hotel is in quite a secluded area. Be careful if you order a taxi as they come from stratford an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GM-Ettingtonpark, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at Ettington Park and your comments have been shared with my team. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Well where do I begin with this hotel ??? Or should I say castle ????
I suppose the beginning would be good !!!
We came along the drive and could just see miles of idyllic English countryside what a beautiful country we have !!!!
As we pulled up to the palace (sorry so many terms come to mind when u see this building)
We went to check in and wow !!!! (That's the entrance hall)
Lady on reception was very polite and nice smile take ore people when you are in the service industry you gotta have a nice smile even nicer when it's genuine !!!
Any way onto our room we went in it was very well equipped nice modern tv speakers in the bathroom but what I really loved is how most of the furniture was old and fitting of the hotel !!!!
The bathroom was immaculate as was the room bathrobes provided.
We had a table reserved in the restaurant for us at 7.30pm for which we were on time (normally its an hour late) we were greeted by a waiter who was lovely very helpful then were given a wine list and canopes while the table was prepared our order was taken as we had our drinks.
I'm sorry I have to say people moan about the low service I thought it was perfect enjoy your food and evening !!! Had the rainbow trout as we only eat halal meat but it was delicious very well cooked nice flavours !!!!
We also had desserts which were beautifully presented and tasted equally as nice !!!!
Which we had outside !!!! On a beautiful day
And to finish off a little game of croquet to digest our meal lovely !!!
In the morning we had a cooked breakfast which was fantastic by the way !!!! And went for a walk in the beautiful grounds
It's amazing the history of this place a family once lived here with their own church !!!!!
And are now buried in the grounds !!!!
Anyway we head back as we had to checkout by 11am :(
My amazing wife packed our case as she always does bless her !!!!
I made my way down to the pool !!!!
And wow the pool was heated they have a steam room sauna and jacuzzi !!!!!
Had about an hour there got changed in the most immaculate rooms with showers
Alls I can say is well done keep up the good work !!!!
Would definitely return and recommend !!!
My only small concerns would be that it was quite sad to see how the grave stones of the former family that lived there have just been left in a bad state I just found it a little disrespectful !!!!
Or maybe I'm old fashioned ???? Also please provided ashtrays I'm a smoker but hated watching people just throwing there cigarette butts on the floor of these beautiful grounds !!!!!
Ps some of the people there are so poor all they have is Money !!!!!!!!!!!
At least go once in your lifetime go on put it on your to do before you die list !!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review, we are delighted to hear your comments, and pleased to know just how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for a return stay with us. Kind regards

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Have just returned from a perfect stay with my husband at this hotel! We arrived Sunday afternoon and were greeted warmly at reception. All staff here are professional but very helpful and friendly- nothing is too much trouble. Housekeeping is excellent, our room was immaculate with a beautiful view of the gardens! Dinner was lovely with good variety of options, we don't eat meat but 2/3 fish options and same with vegetarian. As the weather was good we enjoyed dessert( recommend the tiramisu) outside on the terrace which was lovely and then a game of croquet afterwards on the lawn. The house itself is beautiful and the grounds perfect for a stroll or even borrow one of the bicycles available to explore the 40 acres!
Breakfast was fabulous- buffet style for cereals, fruit, cheese and breads but cooked breakfast made to order with great choice again including vegetarian. All served by smiling friendly staff!
Late checkout is available but ask early or even night before as only a few allowed!
Pool, steam room, jacuzzi and changing rooms were extremely clean and well looked after!
On checking out the lady on reception ensured our stay had been a good one and she genuinely cared that it had, which is so unusual in many hotels!
Stunning hotel in great location- peaceful yet only few miles away from Stratford upon avon, perfect for a night away after a busy week, we loved it and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made I have shared these with my team who are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be returning the future, thank you. Kind regards

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked afternoon tea through buy a gift for ettington park. The atmosphere and venue was superb. The employees were delightful to speak to and were well presented and helpful. The afternoon tea was served outside in the courtyard with stunning views. The whole afternoon was a pleasure and the choice was outstanding. Thank you

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review following your afternoon tea with us, yes it is nice to sit outside and take in the stunning views whilst enjoying afternoon tea. We are so pleased that you enjoyed the afternoon and look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit. Kind regards

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My family loved our stay here. One of the few places with extensive grounds and a pool to wear out two young boys. We had a chance to relax after a busy trip. Service in the restaraunt was fantastic and they were especially attentive to our children. A great place to escape all the tourists in Stratford-upon-Avon.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, delighted to hear how much your family enjoyed their stay and we look forward to welcoming you all back for a future stay with us. Kind regards

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Pros - Service is Outstanding, beautiful views and building, excellent dinner, Good deals available
Cons - No spa :(

We booked a one night break to get away from some very stressful situations back home and are so glad we chose Ettington based on the reviews here.
- SERVICE: I work on 5 star Cruise ships and in North America most of the year and am used to excellent service. The staff at Ettington couldn't have been better.
- We asked for a room change (which we've never done before) as the bed was squeaky and as I'm mostly in a cabin at sea so a good land mattress is vital. They immediately offered us another room which we could look at first and it was perfect. (The next morning we saw a new mattress being carried through. Fast!)
- DINNER was excellent. Our waiter explained the history of the room we were dining in which was charming and we ordered from an extensive wine list. The food was very well cooked indeed.
- We asked for the lights to be dimmed in the drawing room, which they were immediately, making everyone much cosier.
- BREAKFAST - Hot or cold options, not bad coffee and a shovel of eggs. Happy start to the day.
- POOL - not big but perfect temp and good jacuzzi. We checked out and spent a few hours there before we left.

X FACTOR - I left my phone charger. We returned the next day to pick it up and were once again greeted warmly.

If you've made it this far! I always right honest reviews and I've been very spoilt working in an environment where I enjoy 5 star cuisine and service every night at sea. Also I ask for what I want and working in N. America you see a huge difference in service. I would take all the staff from Ettington and have them on my ship in an instant, to say they are such a beautiful hotels best
feature says it all.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review, we are so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and the team were delighted to hear your comments too. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another stay with us. Kind regards

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We used to come regularly some years ago so were curious as to how the hotel would compare.
We were met in a friendly, courteous and helpful way. The room we had booked had a slight leak in the shower, nothing too bad, but we were offers one of the signature rooms instead. A glorious room with character and very comfortable beds.
Our dinner was excellent, although there was a delay with the starter due to a power failure in the kitchen but after that the service and food were top quality.
We were not disappointed after five years. The hotel is exquisite, so impressive and the staff could not be more helpful.
Well done Ettington Park and We hope to be back soon.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for completing your review and the comments you have made, we were so pleased to welcome you back for a return stay with us and even more delighted to hear just how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back again for another stay with us. kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Ettington Chase Hotel
Ettington Chase Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ettington

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!