“Neo Georgian Mansion in quiet country lane”

Ettington Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alderminster
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Impressive establishment steeped in history and luxury. Excellent Service, beautiful grounds. We stayed in the "new wing" which did not do justice to the original building and the "english" experience. I am afraid to say the bed was hard and thin of very poor quality, the room was average in "feel", if your room is as important as the surrounds i would not recommend the "new build standard room". Lovely buffett breakfast. Very popular for weddings and i can see why there is an ancient church on the property and it is a photographers dream.
If i could i would have stayed in the "original building suites", it depends on what experience you are looking for. A very peacefull location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
ettington, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2011

Thank you posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.I do not know which room you stayed in so I will check all the beds in the " new wing " and if any do not pass our quality test I will have them replaced.

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 11, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a romantic w/e. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definitely make a return visit soon.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful. Our room was lovely, we stayed in an executive room as part of a two night d/b/b offer through Handpicked Hotels. The only gripe we had about the room was the mould in the shower. It might seem picky to mention this, but it's not a cheap place to stay and this 'attention to detail' should not be overlooked in our opinion.

The food for our entire stay was delicious. We chose to have breakfast in our room on both mornings and it was very, very good. Dinner was also excellent on both nights, but particularly the second night. All the staff in the restaurant and bar area were efficient, friendly, but not too intrusive. On the first night we were served our bottle of red wine in very cheap looking wine galsses. I requested 'proper' red wine glasses, but was told by the waitress that they'd run out! We did mention this to the Duty Restaurant Manager when he asked if everything was ok with our meal. He duly took our comments on board and informed us he would be flagging this up at their next Managers meeting.
The next night we mentioned when ordering another bottle of red wine that we would like 'proper' wine glasses! The Sommelier apologised profusely for the previous evening and kindly made a point of telling the waiter to check we had the correct wine galsses on our table. We were very grateful to him for taking our comments as he did and acting on them.
There was a wedding on at the hotel, as well as it being fully booked. However, we felt the service did not lack because of this, something which we have experienced at other hotels. In fact, because the restaurant manager felt we had been waiting longer than we should to be taken to our table, he opened a bottle of champagne and filled our glasses again! This is the attention to detail we like to see, and we were very appreciative of it, particularly as we hadn't been bothered by the wait because of the delicious canapes and pink champagne we'd already had!

The spa area is also very nice, although we did have some difficulty finding it!! It was very quiet, and at one point we had the entire area to ourselves!

I think one thing which could be improved is the reception area. It really isn't big enough, particularly when everyone is trying to check out at 11am. We ended up sitting in the bar area until the queue went down, but even then it felt quite chaotic.

All in all we had a lovely time at this hotel and any problems we encountered would definitely not put us off going back or recommending it to friends, in fact, we have already done this!!

1  Thank Mary73Surrey
ettington, General Manager at Ettington Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the couple of pointers where we can improve.I will discuss these with my team and take action where needed.

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed two nights on a pure recreational break and were so impressed with the attitude and competence of the staff. I would single out Pawel who seemed to be everywhere at everytime and gave us such confidence in the establishment. They have a sort of concierge called Daimon who is a great character and very friendly and enthusiastic. The executive rooms are great and the food (breakfast and dinner) is exceptionally good. We all thought that the alcoholic drinks were way too expensive and spoiled the impression otherwise created. This is a really great place to stay as nothing seems too much trouble for anyone but there is none of the pomposity or stuffiness sometimes found in other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff - they really do appreciate them.Thank you for the special mention to Daimon he is very passionate member of the team,I will point your review out to him.

Once again many thanks

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Because of a last minute cancellation by another hotel I had to make a short notice booking for lunch with friends, equidistant between the West Midlands and Oxfordshire. There was no time to check TripAdvisor and the hotel web site seemed OK. The response when I called to book lunch was strange. I was told, in a somewhat haughty tone, that it wasn't possible to make a booking, although I was asked to give all the details that one gives when making a reservation at most hotels. Apparently the purpose of this exercise is the hotel's convenience rather than the the customer's. Tough luck on the prospective guest if the hotel "overbooks".

Driving down the long, gloomy, drive I was glad that we were visiting on a brilliantly sunny afternoon. Even before arriving at the hotel itself it was clear that Ettington Park will make an ideal venue for a horror film - imagine arriving on a dark, wet, November night with the wind howling through the trees.

The entrance to the hotel is classic Victorian Gothic - murder mystery meets mental hospital. We arrived before our friends and decided on a reconnaissance. Passing through the barred loggia and after negotiating a dirty "welcome" mat we entered a dark and dismal reception hall. A look of surprise crossed the face of the man at the reception desk, followed by an expression of glee when I said that we had made a booking for lunch - "Ooooh - somebody for lunch" he exclaimed. "Qelle horreur - are we on the menu?" I thought. We passed through the bar, also drab and dark, and were shown to the so called Great Drawing Room by a very amiable young man in an ill fitting barman's outfit.

The Great Drawing Room was light and bright, in contrast to the reception area and bar. The disadvantage of illumination in the Great Drawing Room was that it exposed the full extent of the decrepit nature of the furniture, carpets, dirty paintwork, and general fabric. Although the tables were mainly concealed by freshly laundered cloths, as confirmed by the prominently displayed laundry labels, it was clear that the pre lunch cleaning had not included the removal of detritus from an earlier meal from the floor. Whilst I perused the dog eared menus my wife asked to be directed to the cloakroom. That gave me an opportunity to observe the large numbers of insects on the windows and widow sills - dead, dying, or furiously attempting to escape. If this place isn't good enough for the flies, I thought, then I don't think I'll risk eating here.

Whilst waiting for my wife I was distracted by repeated shouting by a member of staff in the reception hall. This hardly created an appropriate background for guests wishing to enjoy an undisturbed meal and quiet conversation. On her return my wife told me that the first WC she had seen was liberally decorated with excrement, a sight that did not do much to stimulate her appetite.

After sharing our impressions we decided that Ettington Park leaves much to be desired as a lunch time venue, made our excuses, and left, accompanied by our friends who we intercepted in the car park. Admittedly, we probably saw the hotel at its worst - fully exposed by the light of day.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank B P

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.I am so sorry that we let you down.I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your visit in more detail and would ask that you contact me direct on jsquire@handpicked.co.uk or 01789 451401.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had a intermit wedding held in the library and all I can say "wonderful" the whole day was stress free, staff where brilliant and looked after everyone! We got amazing service and the food was out of this world. The whole party sat quite whilst tucking into the wedding breakfast.
We stayed in the Victioria Garden suite for our nights stay, which again was perfect!
Above all the location of Ettington is amazing! The sun shone which makes ettington park just glow.
We will most defenatly will be returning for our 1st anniversary!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed here over the August bank holiday. This was a thank you gift to my partner for 10 years service with his company. We were given 2 nights b&b, dinner on one night and an activity of your choice; we chose Clay Pigeon Shooting.
The hotel is beautiful and immaculate. Staff and welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Dinner was lovely and we paid for dinner the second night the food was that good. Try the pheasant and partridge terrine and baked alaska brownie.....nom nom nom!
TWe had a room in the new part and it was lovely, a huge comfy bed and lovely clean bathroom.
Breakfast was lovely. We really have no complains, my only gripe was it was a little too formal for my liking, we were addressed as Mr & Mrs Johnson ALL weekend (we arn't married) but we embrwced it in the ned and laugh about it now.
The staff are lovely and give a very high level or service and I cannot fault them, they are a credit to the hotel.
Clay pigeon shooting was fabulous and I surprisinlgy enjoyed it and became just a little bit addicted! If you fancy it ask at reception for the company they have links too...he is very knowledgable and shot for England, we would pay fgr a lesson if we went back.
We have promised orselves we will return!
Enjoy! x

Room Tip: Don't forget your swimming stuff there is a lovely pool!
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Quality hotel set in beautiful grounds but slightly disorganised. The hotel was booked out for a wedding, but when we arrived our rooms were not ready which was a real pain. Eventually we were given rooms to change and shower in, which meant they had to be cleaned again. Outgoing clients have to check out by 11.00 and the cleaning staff go on their break at 11.30! So if you are going there for any kind of function bear in mind you may not get your room until it is over. The room walls are thin, as I was woken up by somebody sneezing in another room.

The regular staff were very friendly and helpful, but the staff brought in just for the event were not, most of them were sullen and untrained. The Reception Manageress was very helpful and it is a shame she had to cope with a disorganised cleaning service. The hotel and grounds have been well restored and it is an interesting place to stay within easy reach of Stratford and other places of interest.

The room price is a guide to prices throughout the hotel for drinks and snacks etc.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay.I am sorry that your room was not ready when you arrived;for those arriving before 3.00pm we do provide a changing room.Thank you for your kind comments about Helen my Reception Manager I will pass those on.

Jonathan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alderminster
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#2 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#3 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ettington Park Hotel? Share your experiences!