Bakhchisaray Historical, Cultural and Archaeological Museum-Reserve
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Interesting place, well worth visiting, but it really needs a tea shop inside. A slight annoyance is that the ticket doesn't seem to cover everything, and once inside the mosque and cemetery are extra. We had no problems visiting without joining a tour.

Be warned that it is about a 30min+ slog by foot from the railway station (although there are taxis, and we saw some buses).

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Khan Palace is very different to any other palace you will see in Ukraine, designed as it is in the Turkish style.

It is a lovely place for a wander, but do not believe the guidebook which tells you that you can wander freely. You can't! You are encouraged to go on a guided tour, but if you make it clear you don't speak Russian then you are allowed to enter and wander round ... but do not make the mistake of going into the main building (to your right) first, as that's the way out!

It also suffers from the Russian / Ukrainian irritating habit of charging an entry fee and then additional charges for different parts of the site. When we were there we couldn't see the baths as they were shut for lunch. And we entered the large mosque, suitably attired and bare foot, but were shoo'd out. There was no service happening so we didn't really understand what we were doing wrong.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This a place that we really was a surprise for all of us, it a remarkable mixture of ottoman and persian architecture. There you can see how humans are more alike that they think. In living room or seating room you can see arab or indian influences. The fountain that weeps is outstanding and for me the entrance door is remarkable.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

While we did not see the interior chambers we got a fair gestalt by walking through its main gate and staying a bit in its patio. A good replica of the famous fountain could be admired at the Vorontsov's palace. If you, like me , enjoy poetry take a look at Pushkin's poem prior to the visit. It will give you a more solid background.
We had a nice al fresco Crimean Tatar dinner at Aline's, a restaurant across the street.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

For the first time I was there when I was only 11, and I still keep this remarkable place in my memory.
The rich history is connected with this place. I think that this place is one of the most valuable heritage of Ukraine. It tells us about love and beauty, and also about the power and cruelty.
There are a lot of court yard with trees, bushes, flowers and fountains around the palace. Constructions look easily and tidy, they are also decorated by lists and drawings, windows are framed by openwork lattices.
Inside the palace you`ll see that it is equipped in all traditions of 16th-century Crimean Tatar architecture. Having visited this place you will have a chance to move back in time, and to feel yourself as an inhabitant of this palace. Everything depends only on your imagination. As for me, I must say that the atmosphere of the place influensed me so that my imagination brought me far-far away.

Travelers who viewed Bakhchisaray Historical, Cultural and Archaeological Museum-Reserve also viewed

Bakhchisaray, Bakhchisaray District
Bakhchisaray District, Crimea

Been to Bakhchisaray Historical, Cultural and Archaeological Museum-Reserve? Share your experiences!