“Relaxing Stay--Attentive Staff”

and 1 more site!
Capricho Beach House
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our plans for going to Guatemala we're dashed when our diver no-showed on us in Santa Ana. So for a group of four middle-aged American men not knowing what to do next--we took the advice of lonely planet guide book and headed to Barra de Santiago and the Capricho Beach House for 2 nights. Wow! What a way to end an 8 day stay in El Salvador after working on projects with local Rotary clubs. The accommodations were nice and comfortable. The service and food excellent, though a little pricey. The beach was absolutely stunning. Not a whole lot to do in the town, other than relax on the beach, swing in a hammock or take a guided tour of the beautiful lagoon. If you stay here, make sure you visit the restaurant at the edge of the lagoon. The restaurant looks like a hut out of Gilligan's Island. But the food is terrific! This was a great place to stay, though I would rather have been with my wife!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Capricho Beach House

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I traveled to El Salvador alone and because I was afraid of doing so, the owner of this hotel did everything to accommodate my needs. I am vegan and she had her staff go out shopping to create meals that were vegan-friendly. She even called while I was in my transfer cab to see if I had arrived safely. My stay felt so comfortable and welcoming. Whatever I needed, Lene made sure I felt safe and secure and I sincerely appreciated every bit of it. It was a pleasure to meet her and I recommend this hotel if you are looking for an inexpensive hotel that is peaceful and situated right on the beach. A great warm and welcoming value!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I spent 2 nights with my two friends at Capricho Beach House. We took a bus from San Salvador and then a ride in a truck to get to the hotel. I was travelling with my friend and her salvadorian boyfriend so I didn't need to worry about anything. Make sure it's not too much of a hassel to get there from the airport, if that's the case.
If you're looking for a quiet place, a beach to yourself for a fraction of the price, this is the place. Relax in a hammock, read your favorite book and fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.
We rented a surf board for a day and had food at a lady's house for a few dollars because we thought the food at the hotel was a bit expensive (we were on a budget, and of course, there's no restaurant around...).
I went there in 2010 but the memories I have of my stay are very positive. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We had a wonderful stay. The setting is just unbelievable. The staff are so friendly and warm, the owner Lena is so helpful and kind, and the sunsets are amazing.
If you want to chill out and relax, soak up nature at its best and find some ancient Mayan artifacts then this is the place to be.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been traveling to El Salvador for several years. Our group works in San Salvador and at the end of the week a trip to Barra de Santiago, where Capricho Beach House is located, is a must!

The rooms are big, comfortable and cool if you need to retreat from the heat at the beach. The staff is friendly and accommodating and they keep Capricho very clean and very welcoming.

Barra de Santiago is the perfect location to unwind and relax and Capricho is the perfect addition to an already beautiful place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location is great and the staff is very friendly, however that is where the compliments stop. Unfortunately there are not many options to stay in Barra de Santiago so we were stuck at Capricho. The dorms here are in VERY poor condition, the bunk beds are rusted and about to fall apart. They do not even have mattresses, instead they used pieces of foam. Probably the worst bed I have ever slept in. The food menu has quiet a few options but all items are extremely over priced. We opted to eat out side of the Hostal every night instead. If some effort and money was but into this place it could be great but until then I would NOT recommend staying here.

Room Tip: dorms are overpriced @ $10 per night and the privates are outrageously priced @ $60 per night. $10...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

It's a long drive and though the location is good this hostel is certainly not. It's clean but basic, soap and towels are not provided and the air conditioning rests precariously in a hole in the wall. There are hammocks facing the beach but sadly the view is obstructed by a wire fence and the ground below teemed with ants. The young staff made us meals but the fruit was soggy and certainly not fresh and the cream to go with the' desayuno tipico' was rancid. I later saw the hostel cat even refusing to drink it.
We would feel less strongly were it not for the terrible value of the place. We were given the 'discount' price of $40 a night if we stayed 2 nights - it's really a $20 hostel for El Salvador at best, while the evening meal and breakfast for 2 also came to $40 - this is restaurant prices for very average food.
Worse was to come. We decided to leave after the 1 night but in acknowledgement of the deal for 2 nights we gave the young caretaker an extra $20 contribution. This agitated him & accordingly I was asked to speak on the phone to the owner, a woman called Elena. I received a lengthy lecture about how she had cancelled other guests so that we could stay the second night and was reminded that this was high season. We were stunned by her blatant lies. We were the only people staying at the hostel and the guest book revealed that we were the first visitors for a week. Whatsmore why did her extra 'guests' not stay in the other 4 empty rooms?
And guess what? It gets even worse. On leaving the village we were stopped by the Tourist Police on suspicion of leaving without paying (anything)! An hour later they accepted that we has indeed paid ($100) and we were finally allowed to leave this dreadful place!
It's a shame really as Barra de Santiago is lovely and the community need tourism but I'm afraid that I would of course advise that you stay clear of this place

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bickfords
Capricho_Management, Owner at Capricho Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Arrogant client leaves without paying bill and writes dishonest review

I am the so called “guest absentee landlady” the review writers are referring to. Unfortunately the review is incorrect in so many ways so I felt the need to set the record straight. To answer the incorrect accusations I will answer point by point. We provide all our customers with soap and towels, also the showers have their own dispenser right there on the wall. The area where the hammocks are is right in front of the beach and the see through net/fence is just a natural barrier to keep our guests and their belongings safe from people walking by. If there were ants on the floor it was probably from dropping food on the floor and as we are in a nature reserve where small insects are part of a healthy eco-system the chances they would appear are there. Ant infested would be an exaggeration as the rest of that part of the property is of sand and they do not prevail long in the hot sand. The guests made a reservation on the phone and although we normally ask for an advance payment for high season but made an exception as the arrival was the next day and as there was still space as we were at the first day of Easter vacation (which anyone informed would know, keeps beach hotels in El Salvador full being high season) and due to a last minute cancellation we had just one room for the second night they would stay. I asked them if they would stay FOR SURE the 2 nights as we were fully booked for the following nights, whereupon they said assured they would. After their reservation we received more request for bookings (Salvadorians always leave for last moment their reservations) and we declined knowing that we would be full for that second day. When I received notice from our staff that the guest were leaving without paying the $50 worth of consume of food and drinks I asked them to pass the guest on the phone as I was at the moment not at the hotel. I started to explain to the client the situation and that we would lose money as the chances for filling that hotel room that same day was almost impossible. I did not even finish the first sentence so I think it’s amusing to read that the guest say I gave a whole lecture. In a blunt, pompous way I was told he was not going to talk to me, I was named a liar and he threw in my face a series of offenses and then he hang up on me. My staff told me he threw the phone on the floor. Well this is when I felt offended and when the guest wanted to leave without paying his bill of $50 worth of consume in the restaurant. He threw $20 on the floor (as if my staff were dogs or not worthy beings of a kind) and ran to his car and took off even if my staff ran after him to explain he could not run from the bill. My employee called the police in the village 3 kms away to stop the person running away from his bill, as he was in his full right to do, and the Police stopped him in the village to ask about the case. Unfortunately the police asked my employee to present himself at the police station but then the other guests were arriving and he could not leave so in order to attend properly to our guests the runaway client go away with it.
In retrospect the change of plans the guests had after initially having reserved the 2 nights with us could all have gone down very differently if they had not behaved so aggressively and disrespectful towards my staff and myself so they have their own cocky attitude to thank for the meeting with police. My staff and I stretch ourselves to the longest in order to accommodate the needs and sometimes change of plans a traveler might have but when we are offended and people think the rules of normal behavior do not apply for them then the limit has to be set.
Another aspect with their review showing they are lying is that if they had $50 worth of consume of food and drinks the food could not be bad as they state. All our products are fresh, of good quality and kept in a hygienic way. Oh and there is no cat at the property or any place close and has never been so that is another sign this review is false and intended to harm with no real foundation.
Obviously the client was mad he could not get away with an arrogant attitude so he is writing a revenge review to spoil our name. Very sad indeed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barra de Santiago
Los Cobanos Village Lodge
El Balcon de Ataco
El Balcon de Ataco
#9 of 12 in Concepcion de Ataco

Been to Capricho Beach House? Share your experiences!