“The Cat with a Dog called Harvey” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Hoathly
The Cat Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 West Hoathly B&B and Inns
Ilkley, Yorkshire
“The Cat with a Dog called Harvey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just stayed at Sussex's award winning pub with rooms. Delightful room (yes, it was the best but we looked at the other 3 and would have been happy in any of them), truly superb food and, above all, fantastic staff, especially Andrew who owns The Cat and we met his lovely dog Harvey (after the very well kept beer on the bar). Must also mention a really nice lady whose name we missed but came with Andrew to work at The Cat from the celebrated Gravetye as well as her partner Max, who is the talented chef. Contemporary comfort with historic features and old world charm in gorgeous village. All the time we were there it was fully booked for food yet locals are made welcome too for a pint. It's the perfect quintessential English pub catering for today's discerning 21st century customer. Our dog loved it too!

Room Tip: Any! There are only four.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having walked Rosie, my black labrador, on one of several excellent walks in the area, I chose a quiet table to have a pint of shandy and wait for my date. Rosie was made to feel very welcome with a large bowl of water (it was one of the few really hot days in the summer).
I waited in vain and with no signal on my phone, had to cross to the churchyard where I had been reliable informed I would get a signal.
A dead battery had put paid to our date but I went back anyway and consoled myself with the most amazing roast beef Sunday lunch. The Yorkshire pudding was amazing and I washed it down with a lovely glass of red whilst catching up on the Olympics reading one of their Sunday papers.
The staff were extremely helpful, watching on Rosie, whilst I went over to the churchyard and were becoming extremely busy by the time I left.
Sunday lunch is not cheap at the Cat but the beef was top quality and their was a large selection of vegetables. Thanks to the Cat my Sunday was made up and as for my date, she would make up for it next time we met!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Cheltenham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We've just returned from a fabulous night away at the Cat Inn. Tucked away in this beautiful part of West Sussex we couldn't have hoped for more, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.

The food at breakfast and dinner was excellent. The room was large, light and airy and overlooked the church and the village.

Little things make all the difference, from the OS map and walk suggestions, to the coffee maker on the landing. The attentiveness and friendliness of the staff was outstanding and we felt like very valued guests.

The only disappointing thing was leaving! We hope to be back soon!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was our first visit to The Cat after hearing so many amazing stories from friends about the great food and drink.
We were not disappointed.
This pub/inn is tucked away in West Hoathly, and as we went on a Monday night, we were struck by how busy it was.
The staff were very attentive and we were served drinks swiftly and shown to our reserved table.
A measure of a good menu for me is making my mind up on what I would like to order, this was not an easy decision for either starter or main.
My starter was the fishcake, which I was warned was hot and blimey it was. No need to complain that it was only luke warm.
My main was the sirloin steak special. At twenty odd pounds I thought it was a little pricey......, until I started to eat it......., absolutely fantastic. I would have paid £30 for it.
The food had been so good I had to have a pudding, sticky toffee pudding, my favourite and it was stunning too.
The food was washed down with a couple of pints of the pubs own beer, which was also lovely.

We will be back and on many occasions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went out for lunch at 'The Cat ' at the weekend and had a lovely lunch with friends. There is something for everyone on the menu which was cooked to perfection and well presented. We had a cheeseboard afterwards which was very generous and a good selection of three tasty cheeses with celery and grapes. The service was prompt and efficient. There was nothing I could fault, so we will return soon to this cosy country pub.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
lepidocrocite
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Large but charming and well executed Gastro Pub just south of London. With good (pubby) food and excellent bedrooms. Some big tables - I could easily see bringing a group of 8 to eat and stay here. Evening meal was good but breakfast stood out both in terms of quality and size.

Would be a good base for people wanting to explore the area.

Only downside: we found the bed a little too soft, but thats only our preface.

Room Tip: Room 1 overlooking church very large and comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Visited The Cat Inn with friends who have moved to the area. It was a first visit for all of us and we were not disappointed.

The pub interior successfully melds the contemporary with the traditional and has a very welcoming ambience. The staff are genuinely friendly and efficient, even during the peak of Sunday lunch when a full bar and restaurant might test the patience and courtesy of anybody!

The menu provides great choice for meat, fish and vegetarian diners: lovely Rye Bay plaice; succulent roast beef; impressive pies; vegetarian soup; and goat's cheese with roasted vegetables. Portions (and accompaniments) are generous so if you've a sweet tooth and you take a fancy to one of the delicious desserts you might want to skip the starters.

The Cat's wine list is modest in terms of its range but there are several wines by the glass, and for beer and cider drinkers there's plenty to enjoy.

Pricewise The Cat provides good value for money, certainly for a Sunday lunch.

If you're in the area, definitely give The Cat a go. If you're a local resident, consider yourselves lucky to have such a fine pub within striking distance.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,501 reviews

Been to The Cat Inn? Share your experiences!