“Spectacular scenery and many happy memories with my mam and where I scattered her ashes”

RSPB Bempton Cliffs
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Bempton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Mesmerising, breath-taking, amazing, awesome - just some of the words our visitors use when they talk about RSPB Bempton Cliffs. Around a quarter-of-a-million seabirds - including gannets, puffins, kittiwakes and razorbills - flock here in spring and summer to raise their family. Six,safe,cliff top viewpoints give spectacular views of the nesting seabirds and the dramatic coastline. The new Seabird Centre at the heart of the reserve tells the story of the wildlife on the cliffs and why it makes it home here. Three of the viewpoints are fully accessible with a hard surfaced path linking them in a circular route. RSPB Seabird Cruises sail from Bridlington Harbour throughout the season giving visitors an incredible opportunity to see the colony as seabirds swoop and soar all around. In autumn and winter, when mists fall and winds blow, a clifftop walk is a great way to blow away the cobwebs. RSPB Bempton Cliffs - one of the truly unmissable British wildlife spectacles.
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Love to come to this place as there is always something new to see whether its the sea birds mammals sea conditions and scenery changing with the seasons. It's abut Ida tough cycles ride as the last mile or so is uphill but well worth the effort. My sister and I chose to scatter our mams ashes over the cliffs here as it was a special place for her too. We've had many happy walks along the cliffs with her and as she got more frail we pushed her along to the viewing points in a wheelchair, which at times was on a bit of a slope but she just laughed it off. Some great places for a picnic and very passionate staff who work in the centre

1 Thank Rob H

• Polish first
Arnside, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Spectacular”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

These cliffs are over 100m high and festooned with a wide variety of birds. My favourites are the gannets, really beautiful creatures, but there are also puffins, razorbills, guillemots, fulmars, kittiwakes, and farmland birds including skylarks, tree sparrows, linnets and short-eared owls.
There is a parking charge but no entrance fee, alsoa picnic area. Binoculars can be hired from the centre and snacks and hot drinks bought. I have done both long and short walks along the cliff, and also taken several puffin and skua cruises from Bridlington.

Visited March 2012
somewhere
“brilliant”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I thought it was amazing! Im not a bird lover but my Dad is so we went to see it and what a place it was! I came out being a bird lover and trust me, being a bird lover isn't bad one bit! It was BRILLIANT!

Visited July 2012
Bradford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Jimmy Cliff”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Now I'm not a bird lover. They fly about and as long as they leave me alone that's about as far as it goes.

Twitching is for the birds and anyone who goes about with binoculars looking for wetlands on their days off is to be given a wide birth. So it was with this attitude in mind I was in two minds when I was directed down a narrow road between Bridlington and Filey.

I've been before. It's a good place to take a bird on a second date. You've possibly been there. The first time was getting to know you in a pub/club. The second is walking and chatting and hoping she'll put her arm in yours. This is good place for that.

So we did. The RSPB will charge you a fiver to park due to some silly regulation they have to comply by. But then it's free through the gift shop (who give you a free map) and into the fresh air and down to some of the most incredible scenery you will ever, ever see.

Even without wildlife, it is staggering. When the birds are not nesting in the spring and summer and the cliffs are bare on a windy November morning, I guarantee your breath will be taken away with what Nature can do. Just the wind in your hair, the smell of ozone in your nostrils and the sight of the towering limestone. It will combine to leave you without words.

Of course, this will leave your partner feeling the same way. I suggest you take them onwards to Filey for Fish and Chips and a walk on the beach and/or Filey Brig. If you haven't pulled by then or at least have brownie points in the bag with the current number, I would suggest you trade them in for another.

Take wellies or decent walking shoes to change into along with waterproofs. I'd not take the dog to Bempton. Filey Beach is OK in the winter for them but May to September has regulations which ban them for obvious reasons.

The great thing about this part of the North Yorkshire Coast is in is unspoilt. Bridlington and Scarborough Councils have allowed their resorts to be ruined by commercialism. But Bempton and Filey and lots of other smaller places in this area remain as they have been for centuries.

Try to go out of season and in the week if you can. Even better if the weather is rubbish.

You'll not regret a moment. You might pull a bird too.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Martin A
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“wild life”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

bempton cliffs is an rspb site with many species of bird there are tow way to see it one by walikg through it with a guid or by boat from bridlington

Visited July 2012