The Hunter Valley Retreat
$63
$91
$84
Agoda.com
Wine Country Motor Inn(Cessnock)(Great Value!)
$98
$80
$64
Priceline
  • Pool
Kirkton Park Hotel Hunter Valley(Pokolbin)(Great Value!)
$129
Agoda.com
Kurri Motor Inn(Kurri Kurri)
$83
$84
All reviewsfire pithunter valleya king size bedroasting marshmallowsgarlic breadbedroom housefriday nightbreakfast was amazingstayed for two nightsyogurtwalking trackshort driveexcellent spottimfarmhouseweekendkatrina
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Attended the Hunter Valley Retreat with a group of 34 other ladies for a scrapbooking retreat.I had been there before for the same purpose and had found it a lovely place with simple but nice food. I am afraid that I could not recommend this property after this last experience. There was a problem with the keys with a lot of the girls not being able to lock there rooms. This shouldn't present a problem we were told as you could lock it from the inside - fine if you want to stay in your room all day. Also not a problem because you really shouldn't bring anything that was valuable with you.
Your thinking Faulty Towers by this time.
arrived back in my room at 2am looking forward to a lovely hot shower- think again, water was stone,motherless cold.
Now we get to the food and here I don't quite know where to start. Tea was served probably about an hour after it was supposed to be. This consisted of chicken , probably from the local chicken takeaway and packet frozen baked veggies that you couldn't put a knife through. Yum yum.
Perhaps it will get better because there not used to such big groups?
When one of the ladies asked for "real milk" not UHT she was told that it was real milk " not from a cat you know" she was told rudely.
Lunch the next day was about an hour late and by tea time we had notified them we would be gong elsewhere for tea, they thought this was an excellent idea.
All in all the staff couldn't organise a dog fight and there manner was rude which turned to ingratiating and simply a total lack of knowledge of the hospitality industry.
Don't go there until they get new staff and someone that can actually cook

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank dizzydeb16
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed for one night but wish we stayed for longer! The Hunter Valley Retreat is in a beautiful location with very friendly and accommodating staff who made our stay memorable. We went on a wine tour then stayed in one of the farm houses which had comfortable beds and a fireplace, it was nice and cozy. We really enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back. Thank you to Val and Lachy for showing us a good time!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank fattbetty
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Booked through Getaway (ch7).On arrival we had to wait 35 minutes for someone to attend the office. Cabin we booked not ready.Taken to a cabin and told if we wanted to move they would have to prepare the rooms.
The keys to the cabin door was lost. Told to put all our valuables in bedrooms and lock doors. Given 2 keys. Only one key worked for one bedroom. The living area was tiny. Couldnt swing a cat. TV very small, mounted on wall-awful reception, no remote.
The large bed was of such dimensionswith bedside tables on either side the bed clothes were literally jammed against the bedside tables. No in room phone. If you needed assistance you had to hike to the office, that itself closed at 8.00pm.
Breakfast - very basic.
A small micro wave with very basic cutlery. No can-opener, dishwasinng liquid or basic kitchen utensils. Round trip to Cessnock 60kms. Forget buying food and trying to prepare meal with basic equipment.
The dining hall- more like a mess hall, plastic table and chairs.
While we were there (parents and 2 children) we heard other complaints of not being given rooms booked.
Getaway have reason to be blamed. The way their email read we expected a Retreat, not a centre that is in the desperate throes of putting together what can be best described as a 'Kids Camp.
Not impressed.

Room Tip: I would refrain from staying at this Retreat and spend the money elsewhere.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Teenagers Perspective: Im a 16 year old teenager that went to Hunter Valley Retreat on the 19th of April till the 23rd of April this year. I went with my mother, friend who is 16 and his brother who is 18 and their parents.

Where to begin my experience...

The service was the most friendly and warmest envirnonment I have ever been to, considering my mother and I like to travel around New South Wales a lot. The two people I will remember from this place is Lachlan and Val. Lachlan got on with absolutely everyone that attended the trip and is a very easy and welcoming guy to get along with. Every night we all hung out together and had conversations till morning around the bomb fire whilst roasting wall nuts and marshmallows. He joined us in a game of football in his spare time but was also very professional at his job by keeping an eye out on all guests by making sure the environment was safe and secure 24/7 with his addorable dog Missy.
On the other hand,Val is a very professional women at the lodge who takes her work seriously. When I had conversations with her, she was just so lovely to talk to and made sure the place ran smoothly and to your needs.

The Sleep Quality was great to a teenage girls needs!
They were big and spacious beds and no sleep was lost and I felt like a queen the next morning.

Cleanliness in the cabins we stayed in, were super clean, spacious and modern.

I think the retreat is situated in a fantastic area. It is in the country but was also local to the town and wine vineyards about 15-20 minutes away. The retreat was full of greenery and fresh clean air.

Even though the area is under renovations and not the posh and luxurious retreat you are after, It is a relaxed atosphere with the warmest and most attentive service we have ever recieved.

Did I forget to mention... There is a huge function centre on the retreat which I plan to have my 21st birthday with all the sound and lighting equipment included.

We definately do plan to go back as this will be our regular get away.

Catty

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Fiona P
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Was skeptical of the place after reading reviews, but the property was huge and very clean. The studio cabin was a little small but extremely well kept. The gift basket on arrival was great...bottle of MrGuigan red wine, chesses, olives, crackers, two wine glasses and chocolates. Val and her staff are very friendly and extremely accommodating. There was plenty for breakfast which was include in the package. Lots of types of cereals and milks, various types of teas, coffee, juice, raisin toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms and cooked tomatoes. You can tell that the owners are renovating the place and it will be a great family holiday place when they do all the renovations they talked about (pool, kids playground etc.) Will go back again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple