“History you can touch”

Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagac
“History you can touch”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We (5 friends) purchased discounted daytrip tickets through Ensogo (less than 500pesos/person). We arrived at Las Casas at around 11am. They asked us to leave our car in the parking lot outside the walls of the resort and asked 2 of us to go in and handle the paperworks for our day tour. after 5 minutes of hanging out in the car and in the heat, my friends came back and told us that we were free to go in and explore. there is a compulsory tour of the grounds included in our tickets and we were lucky that one was about to start. while waiting, we waited in Casa Mexico, their main office building with our free ice-cold sago at gulaman drink. there was a Sungca board available so we played to pass the time (when we found out that the shells were incomplete, the staff kindly gave us enough to play - good service!).

The tour started and our tour guide took us through all the houses that they moved to Las Casas. he imparted with us the history of each house, the stories surrounding the owners and their place in history. The story regarding Jose Rizal's mother's ancestral house is a particular highlight of the trip. Too bad the whole house was not moved to Las Casas (due to the local govenrment's interference) and had fallen to disrepair and eventually collapsed 2 years ago. if only it was moved to Las Casas, and not just the original doors, then it would have been there, instead of a replica, for all Filipinos to appreciate. It was an interesting tour, we were also able to see the owner's own mini museum :)

We had lunch at their Filipino-Spanish restaurant (the Italian restaurant was closed because it was a weekday). We initially thought the food was too expensive and that we had no choice but to eat there as there were no establishments around Las Casas. When the food came, we were happy to realize that they had large servings and we did get value for our money. We ordered the seafood Kare-kare, sinigang na baboy, fried chicken and the bistek tagalog. we also ordered their home-made Gabi (a root crop) ice cream:) food was good and we were so full (we also had to take home some of the food because we couldn't finish it all) we had to have a short siesta at the recliners near their batis-inspired pool. they sound of the waves of the nearby sea lulled us to sleep.

Las Casas is still incomplete when we went there. they were still in the process of building another Filipino-themed building to provide more accommodations. their brochure told us of their eventual plans to have a whole street filled with different Filipino delicacies from all over the Philippines, to have Filipino games tournament, to host wonderful shows of Filipino dances.
I look forward to these developments and would gladly go back to see their plans come to fruition. i also plan to bring my family and any balik-bayans there and sleep in the houses that i learned about.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nanitumlos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was with a group of singles from Elim Communities when I stayed in this hotel. The Hotel boasts off its collection of old houses in the Philippines. A replica of my neighbor in San Nicolas, Binondo was a specially featured accommodation. The room where I stayed is interestingly designed adopting the modern materials to the detailed reproduction of the old houses and interior. Expansion and new construction were noted in the resort vicinity.

The singing duo was good and witty. The cultural dance performance of the young dancers was excellent. The guided tour of the different houses was educational. The food is well prepared. Thanks to the security staff for probing and helping me found my belongings and proving to the receptionists who got impatient with my follow up that I was right.

I'm contemplating on returning with another set of friends this October or November.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I went with a BIG group. So my experience may be different than a couple's. The focus is architecture and trying to create an old spanish era Philippine town, brick by brick, On that score, they succeed with flying colors,
The food we had wasn't bad. The rooms were old houses, with all antique genuine stuff, Its living in classic art, but air-conditioned.
But the management made me cringe inside with their decisions on how to fix the back of their kitchen that sticks out into this beautiful work of architecture, buated fridges lying on the lawn, and things like that. The owners need to make top dollar to maintain a place like this, and they arent going to get it with their management (Feb 2013). I know that the group organizer also had a lot of problems with charges. Maybe this would not happen with just a couple, or a small group. So just be aware and chalk mistakes up to ineficiency. Expect to find errors in your bill, and don't be upset if you do find mistakes. Getting upset can ruin a great experience.
One more thing, For the beauty that it is, it probably wont last. The entire complex is built on a river delta. Any geodetic engineer will tell you thats a dumb idea because rivers shift on a delta, So the river will probably shift over time, and probably wipe out any buildings in the way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sailtaal
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Leading up to Independence Day, we thought about doing a historical summer break in a historical place so it becomes meaningful for our kids. The moment we drove inside, I immediately had a flash of my own childhood vacations in my grandmother's hometown in Ubay, Bohol. The houses were neatly laid out in the location and one immediately feels thrown back in time especially when you start meeting the staff in traditional Filipino costumes and greeting you, "Magandang Hapon, po!"

We were ushered to the reception area where we were immediately attended to by the front desk personnel who explained all the details we needed to know during our stay. We were given a refreshing glass of Sago't Gulaman, a traditional Filipino drink. My kids loved it so much we asked for another glass which they willingly offered.

We booked first for an overnight stay in the Executive Suite - a 3-level unit that has a TV/Living Room downstairs, the Master Bed in the 2nd level and 2 more Queen-sized beds in the loft but reserved for an extra night in another unit in case we decided to stay one more night. We had 8 kids with us, my husband and I and 2 helpers.

This Executive Suite was just right for us in terms of size, although since the TV was downstairs, it was a bit of an extra effort to go down in case the children wanted to catch some kids' shows on TV. Furthermore, the living room set was quite uncomfortable since it was all wooden and no throw pillows or what were there. On our second night, we got 2 rooms at the ground level of the San Miguel - the first house you see on the left as you enter the compound. We enjoyed staying in the 2nd night's accomodatione because it was more flat and had more space and easy access to the TV.

The good points:
We genuinely enjoyed the venue - culturally it was very inspiring. We liked our tour - many historical insights about our past as a nation and as a people. The staff were generally nice and warm. We also enjoyed the cultural show - the dancers encouraged everyone to take part in dancing the Tinikling!

The pizza at the pizzeria was VERY GOOD! Service at that Italian resto was also quick and good. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the Filipino/Spanish restaurant.

The need-to-improve points:
Rooms:
The bathroom essentials were a bit sparse - I wish they had at least one foot mat so we don't end up wetting the sink part.

In the Filipino/Spanish restaurant, we accidentally left my toddler's newly-bought train toy and a box of chocolates. The staff informed us that they kept both and turned it over to the next persons in charge. When we returned the next day, I asked about it but was told that they didn't have the train toy - just the box of chocolates. They said they will try to look for it but when I followed up - they said they weren't able to find it.. Just disappointing.

Also, I wish they had more choices for food - since the place was quite a distance from the city, there weren't much options except the 2 restaurants available. And they were both expensive!

Overall however, I would still recommend a visit to the place. Add a trip to the Bataan Monument after that for a truly historical trip most especially for children!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Las Casas has a great concept of preserving and showcasing old Filipino houses while also providing modern amenities. My family and I (6 adults altogether) stayed at the executive suite which was tri-level since the bedroom had a loft. The suite had a living room & dining set downstairs, 3 queen beds which were comfy and 2 full bathrooms which were clean & adequate. The staff was very pleasant, as well.

Their restaurant serves good Filipino meals, somewhat pricey but it's what you'd expect at a resort. They also have a pizza place with a nice, rustic ambiance. Their pool is a good size, "batis" style pool. My parents  tried out the beach early in the morning & they said not to bother with it. We only stayed 2 days/1 night but it was enough time to check out the whole place. We took the tour of the houses on day 1, watched the cultural show in the evening then waded in the pool on day 2.  We then checked out  Kilometer Zero of the Death March and Mt Samat on our way home.

• Stayed January 2013
manila
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our entire family had a GRAND time in this awesome tourist destination, starting from my 66-y/o mother and up to my 8-y/o daughter who both have diverse interests of a leisure trip. Nevertheless, all of us truly enjoyed our 2D/1n stay here.
We were welcomed with a thirst-quenching native drink (Sago't Gulaman) when we arrived at the Reception area around 9am, escorted to the suite that we are to occupy, afterwhich we participated in the Heritage Tour of this resort, where we get to see upclose & personal, the various Casas (Spanish term for 'houses') made more interesting because of their historical/cultural values. We had great lunch @ Cafe Marivent where the 'gabi' (a local rootcrop) ice cream had been remarkably delicious, love it! We went swimming afterwards (both in the beach & the pool) til sunset, even played pool in the Salon de Juego (Game Room) in between our swimming activity. We had late dinner in their Italian rest located @ Casa Binan (Bella Teodora), of which we rode the shuttle going there since it 's far from our accommodation. They served freshly-baked breads which are oh-so-yummy,& the foods that we ate were extremely satisfactory, except for the Pesto, which my sister & brother-in-law didn't find satisfying enough. We stayed outdoors for awhile after dinner, in the plaza & gazebo, also in the Reception area where we played 'Sungka', much to my nieces' delight. We retired late at night & woke up early in the morning to witness the sunrise in the Luzon sea which was awesome! We swam for the final time, had breakfast in the resto (Cafe Marivent), fixed our stuff, toured some more, rode the calesa, & had the endless picture-taking in this wonderful place. This had been a fruitful & worthy leisure trip that's really memorable, & I highly recommend this tourist spot for everyone, local & foreign alike!

Room Tip: For a group/family with more than 6 persons (& with kids younger than 10 years of age),choose a...