“Blas from the past”

Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagac
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My friend and I availed of a day tour from a groupon site. We commute from cubao going to Las Casas. We reached the area around 9:30 am, it was hot but the view was all worth it. We joined the 10:30 tour, the view was relaxing. We just endured the heat of summer. When its lunch time, we dined in at Marivent Cafe, food was soo soo. We ordered pochero, meat still needs 30minutes of cooking, although expensive, we are surprised by the serving becoz its good for 3-4 person. service just needs improvement. For sure we will return, day tour is not enough to savor the place. we would like to spend overnight, walk on the beach early morning and feel the sunrise. A must visit place here in the Philippines.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank Maria Patricia ... D
There are newer reviews for Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Going to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar was really a pleasant surprise. The homes were well maintained and preserved. The facilities were clean and maintained. The staffs were helpful. The price was not bad.The food was good. Our group loved the Gabi Ice cream. The dinner entertainment.....2 Kundiman singers were very good the considering this was the middle of Luzon they were able to sing ALL the Visayan songs we requested. And they sang it well.
The rooms are very spacious. The tour of the complex was made interesting and lively.
I wish wifi be made more available to more areas. An overnight stay might not be enough.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

LONG REVIEW AHEAD. SKIP TO PROS & CONS IF YOU DON’T LIKE TO READ.

We visited Las Casas on April 10, 2013 for an overnight stay and overall, I’d say it was okay but could have been great. When we arrived, nobody greeted me although there were a couple of people manning the reception area. They just looked at me, waiting for me to ask them something. The lady who gave me my room card and food stubs was nice but she failed to apologize when I told her about a simple miscommunication between me and another reservation agent. I specifically asked if kids eat free. The agent told me that kids eat free so I just settled for a studio room since there are only 3 adults in my party. When I checked in, I was told something else. Apparently, kids eat free because they eat off of their parent’s plate. (I thought that was funny) So I just upgraded to a Studio with Loft to get 4 meal stubs since there’s only a Php160 difference if I keep the Studio reservation.

The Loft that we had was HUGE! I like how the ceiling was high. With additional beds, it could have comfortably fit 7 people. The bathroom is spacious too, with toiletries. The bathroom needs a lot of cleaning though, especially the glass panel that separates the toilet and the shower. The other end of the retractable clothesline was also missing. I also noticed that there were a lot of black ants in the bathroom sink area. I didn’t really mind but small details like that matter to some people.

My family headed to the beach right away because that’s what we went there for besides the old houses. Contrary to other reviews, the water is very CLEAR. I’ve been to another resort in Morong (which is pretty close) and the beach there was nice too so I was wondering why other reviewers thought it was murky. It might have been because they went to the beach in the afternoon when there are waves. Even so, the water is still clear. It’s just that the sand is gray and is getting washed around by the waves. The sand is also very fine which is why I prefer Bataan beaches over Batangas beaches. The front desk agent told us the beach is open until 6 PM but the lifeguard greeted us with a, “Ma’am, hanggang 5 lang po ang beach.” He said he’s leaving at 5 and nobody will replace him. What’s funny was he wasn’t even watching us while swimming. I guess he thought it’s safe since it’s low-tide. The water’s very shallow even when you go far from the shore. It’s best to go in the morning if you want to see how clear the water is.

I also had a problem with the air conditioning unit in our room. I called the reception at 10:30 PM and they sent 2 people to us right away. My husband was pleasantly surprised that they have people available to fix things even late at night. They called to check up on us after but they should have noticed that the other 2 people downstairs are already sleeping when they came in. The call woke up my toddler and started crying. I told the lady that she just woke up my baby but got no apology.

Another customer service booboo happened the next day when we went to Casa Unisan for breakfast. The waiter just took our stubs but didn’t inform us what the menu was. We had to ask for the waiter to tell us what’s available and to take our order. We were the first party to be seated but last to be served (after 3 other parties). Breakfast was good, but not worth Php 295. Prices are high because there are no nearby restaurants to go to.

The Batis inspired pool was okay. It’s great that there’s a kiddie area where smaller children can swim. Be careful though when walking on the wooden planks because some nails are sticking out and some planks are loose. My husband and I stepped on 2 different ones.

There’s a lot of construction going on so Las Casas hasn’t reached its full potential. As much as I want to love Las Casas because I have a penchant for all things old, I couldn’t. I wouldn’t mind returning though after all the construction has ended. I say, opt for an overnight stay instead of the day tour to enjoy Las Casas.

PROS:
- Resort has great concept and beautiful execution.
- The beach is very much suitable for swimming. Water is clear and sand is fine.
- Huge studio with loft
- Modern amenities inside “old” houses.
- Close to Mt. Samat. Do a sidetrip to the Dambana ng Kagitingan if time permits.

CONS:
- Customer service needs improvement
- Pool area needs proper maintenance for safety measures
- Closest city is 40 mins away (Balanga City). Make sure you have your necessities. (We had to drive there to get contact lens solution)
- Meal prices are high in Filipino standards
- Housekeeping has to be meticulous when cleaning the bathrooms, otherwise, the facilities will deteriorate faster.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Aurora M
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived at about 10:30 am,we opted to do the day tour. The day tour includes welcome drinks, and a "magsasaka" hat since it's so hot. The tour was very informative, the guide wore Filipiniana while speaking through a wireless mike. She led us to different houses which were destroyed in a certain place in the Philippines then rebuilt in las casas with the same structure and appearance.We can enter the houses and observe the antique furniture way back in spanish era. there are many houses where you can go inside and observe, its so cool and amazing! After that, we were hungry but we didnt want to eat inside las casas since its expensive. We drove at about 1 hour away from las casas to reach balanga just to eat lunch.
After that, we went back to las casas to swim. The pool was designed to be "just like the beach" with the limit of 4ft. The beach i tell was amazing. Sorry, but it's my first time to see "black sand". Its very nice and the waves are so high its so nice to surf.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Isabel R
Reviewed April 2, 2013

If your'e the type of person love old houses , well I can assure you that you will enjoy staying in Las Casas.Las Casas is like travelling from way back age of our grand grand parents.After the tour is you can experience the beautiful sand of beach and also the swimming pool like river style.
You can relax at the same time you will learn a lot from the past.The staff are all acommodating and very hospitable..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank djoyq5
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family spent our Holy Week vacation in this unique resort. We're impressed with how these old beautiful Filipino houses, mostly built in the 1800s and early 1900s and coming from various places in the country, were brought and reconstructed here. Even if the atmosphere depicts of the old Philippines, we were comfortable because of the modern amenities available in the resort. The staff were courteous and helpful. However, we did not like the lunch buffet because of the limited choice of food and it was all grilled! Also, while we enjoyed the cultural show, they should have prepared 2 sets because we ended up seeing exactly the same performance on our second day. Over-all, we enjoyed very much our stay...my daughter keeps on saying she loves Las Casas...and thanks Mr. Acuzar for your vision and in preserving our Filipino heritage!!

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tonetmarquez_16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagac
The Plaza Hotel Balanga City
#2 of 18 in Olongapo
Crown Royale Hotel
Crown Royale Hotel
#2 of 5 in Balanga City

Been to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar? Share your experiences!