“~ going back through time ~”

Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagac
Reviewed October 11, 2011

It was the perfect place for an advance celebration of my 30th birthday. My boyfriend and I were looking for a place for us to have some quiet time, relax but most importantly have fun. It gave us everything what we needed and way more what I have expected. We both had a great time and every moment was memorable. The staff were so warm and friendly. Every corner of Las Filipinas de Acuzar took us back in time. I enjoyed posing for tons of photos be it in my modern clothes or with my Filipiniana inspired ones. My boyfriend was stunned on the architectural aspect of the place. After posting those photos, people were amazed on how beautiful the place was. It truly made me so happy on my special day. Even before drove away from the courtyard, we were planning of coming back and tagging along our loved ones in the very near future.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prettybabyjhuddz

Reviewed September 19, 2011

we did our prenup shoot here.The staffs are stupid, no considerations even if too much raining and traveled 3hrs from Manila. Entrance fee is very expensive then you need to pay additional Php2,500 for the prenup shoot fee, not worthy since you can't not request anything, they always said its in the policy. You can't walk around to do an ocular inspection unless you pay. Foods are very expensive but good. Bring some foods and drinks if you go there because it's very far from the city. Rooms are great and clean.However, Beware make sure all your things are on top of chairs or tables because from what we experienced when we woke up it was already flooded(ankle level) inside the rooms and our things were mess and wet.Terrible, isn't?

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank khitin
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Despite the storm that hit Luzon during our visit, our family enjoyed our short, overnight trip to Las Casas. In between the intermittent rain, we had the chance to walk around the premises and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. The winds by the beach were quite strong, but a cool respite from the usual Manila heat. Actually, I think the timing of our visit was perfect because the weather was comfortable. I can just imagine how terribly warm this place can get during the summer.
We drove for about 3 hours from Manila. SCTEX was very convenient. What I really liked about the place is the very personalized service provided by the staff. As soon as we entered the premises and gave our last name, the guards (which were interestingly dressed as guwardiya sibils) already knew we were staying overnight, and directed us where to go. The front desk staff also addressed us by name, which was quite a pleasant surprise. Even during dinner, we had a table reserved under our name.
The room exuded an old world appeal, in keeping with the theme of the resort. However, it was quite dark inside with only yellow lights, so it was quite difficult for reading. Our family of 7 (5 adults and 2 kids) took the studio deluxe loft, which was very spacious and comfortable for us. I had pre-paid and requested for 2 extra bed set-ups. When we got to our room, however, there was only 1 King Bed located at the loft. I called the reception to complain because I have been told the studio deluxe loft had 2 queen beds. I also had specifically requested for 2 extra beds because we were 7 people. It turns out the room allocated to us (Room 201) is the only studio deluxe loft with (1) King size bed ONLY. That was quite a disappointment for me. Although I must say the staff was quick in addressing my concern and immediately set up 4 additional beds for me (2 beds free of charge). I didn't like the mattresses. They were too firm for me.
The bathroom was ok, not much to complain about except for the shower which faced the glass door partition. As a result, water leaked out of the shower area. Water was also leaking under the sink area, but it wasn't a big problem.
The heritage tour is not a big thrill. The guide just says whatever is already in the brochure. I had expected more trivia regarding the houses, their owners, and in general, about life during the Spanish times. The advantage of going with the tour is being able to go inside the houses. However, at the time of our visit, most of the houses were occupied by guests so we couldn't go inside. That I do not understand. I am very grateful for what the resort owners have done to preserve our heritage, but I don't quite get why they allow guests to stay in the houses overnight. I felt a bit shortchanged for not being able to see the inside of the houses.
Anyway, my kids enjoyed the kalesa drive. At P50 per person, the kalesa will take you around to see the entire area of the resort. Not quite worth it as it is easy to cover the whole area by foot, except if like me, you have kids who have never been on a kalesa before.
Food is quite expensive, but good. Breakfast buffet was also good. In the brochure it says there are street food available at the Plaza, as well as native delicacies such as puto bumbong and bibingka. Sadly, there wasn't anything available during our visit, maybe because it was raining. I had looked forward to that. The panaderia at the Escolta is misleading. They do not sell freshly baked bread as it says in the brochure. They only sell grocery snacks. Don't make the same mistake we did. We bought canned sodas from the store, thinking they would be cheaper than if we got from the hotel room's mini-bar. It was P55 from the store and only P40 from the mini-bar!
On the ground floor of the hotel, there is a photo shop where they allow you to wear Filipino costumes and they take photos of you within the premises. It was quite expensive but a very good souvenir. P550 for (1) 5R black & white photo and (2) 4R black & white photos. P200 for every (3) additional 4R colored shots (optional).
Over-all it was a good trip. The place is very serene. I can imagine writers who would very much enjoy the tranquility that the place can offer. A good place for photographers too! Photos come out postcard-perfect, no matter how amateur you are. For families though, an overnight trip would be enough. There's not much to do in this place. You can cover the grounds in 1 afternoon. Swim in the pool and get a massage. That's it, but the place is really beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank happy_mommytraveler
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The 3-hour travel from Manila to Bataan was really worth it because the place was so nice. The staff were all warm and friendly, showing the Filipino hospitality feel to all the guest -- even wearing the traditional costumes thus, making one feel like in a different era.

We checked-in at the Escolta which is the 17-room hotel of the place. The room is really big and with well-designed interiors. The room was really nice giving a feel of elegance and classic ambiance. Each room has a little veranda giving a full view of the heritage village. Its like time traveling back to a different era at an instant, away from the chaotic city life.

What I like about Las Casas is their restaurant called Casa Unisan, wherein it offers all delicious Filipino dishes. Each dish is good for 2-3 servings at an affordable price. The staff were all friendly and attentive. I would definitely go back here and bring my friends from overseas to have them feel of what Manila is all about.

Room Tip: The Escolta is ideal for honeymooners
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Foxykix
Reviewed May 25, 2011

When we got there, it was about 12:30 in the afternoon, check in is at 2pm so I informed the front desk that we'll be having lunch while waiting for our house to be ready. We fininshed our lunch at 2pm and I came back to the front office to check-in, unfortunately, the house was not ready. There were other that are waiting to check in, but unfortunately their rooms are not ready either. We were told that they were short on staff. I did not get my keys until 3pm, I had to wait 1 hour. When we got to our house, we were missing towels and other amenities. Our house was suppose to accomodate up to 8 adults, but the set-up was for only four. I went to the front office again to have them deliver the other items. We did not get the requested towels and other items til after 7pm. It was ridiculous. The house is also dirty, cobwebs on the ceiling and cockroaches are on the floor.
The following day, I informed the front desk about what had occured the day prior and the lady in charge just smiled at me and kept saying, "Thank you sir.", what the h****, is this lady trying to get me more mad. The worst customer service I have experienced.
We'll never come back to this place. It is not worth staying overnight, just do the day tour.

Room Tip: Day tour only, you will regret staying overnight.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Lapulapu L
Reviewed February 21, 2011

It's a great place for sunset and sunrise photos, facade of beautiful colonial homes and the food is really good. The rooms are a bit pricey (look at spending around 2,000pesos per person) but its very clean and almost like a 3star hotel in Makati. Its the nicest place in that area.

They have a swimming pool, 1 restaurant, massage spa, and a few shops. There's a cultural show every fri and sat night (the staff would dance and serenade you with classic filipino songs)

It's a very nice place to go to if you want some quiet time, take beautiful photos (bring a tripod) and to just relax.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank manda31012
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Invited by the owner (a family friend) to spend New Year's at this beautiful resort. The owner really had a great vision in trying to relocate dilapidated colonial houses from all over the Philippines in just one place. The location itself isn't that far (about a pleasant 3-4 hour ride along surprisingly smooth roads) He tried to recreate a historic feel to it by making the roads cobblestones (no cars allowed to stay inside the resort, only allowed to go in and out for the luggage). There are nice sculptures and fountains everywhere and the resort is generally well maintained. There is even a traditional calesa (horse drawn carriage) offering Php50/person rides.
Not sure if this review can apply to the typical overnight stay because the owner prepared a really nice 30 minute firework display (felt like Enchanted Kingdom). Also, had great dinner with lechon, set up a dancing floor and had an open bar.
We stayed in Casa Meycauayan. It was very spacious and the furniture was complete. It had 2 huge rooms downstairs and 3 big rooms upstairs. The bathroom was modern and nicely appointed. The beds were comfortable. There were even 3 LCD flat screens.
They already have a nice swimming pool, overlooking the beach (The beach is no Boracay, but it's not that bad either). Service was pleasant and fast. Food, offered in a house they couldn't convert to a hotel room (because it was considered haunted...supposedly a family was massacred in it ), was buffet but was just average.
You can tell though that the resort itself is still a work in progress...but it's not necessarily a bad thing. It's like you are part of the owner's vision and you get excited about what the resort can still offer (too bad they don't have a suggestion box). They were constructing a nice bridge which looked really picturesque due to the beach in front of it and the green mountains behind it. Future projects were plans to bring in an old church and the house of Jose Rizal's mother (half of the house is currently being used as a wet market). Not sure if they are pushing through with these (especially the latter), but its nice to know that the resort will get better and better.
Bottomline is that it truly is a great vision that is executed fairly well. Still a work in progress but is still a great place to sit back and enjoy the scenery with loved ones, while learning and being proud of our long history.
Sorry, still uploading pictures...will try to add the photos soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank poopooface815
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagac
Court Meridian Hotel
#1 of 1 in Mariveles
Mangrove Resort Hotel
Mangrove Resort Hotel
#3 of 19 in Olongapo

Been to Las Casas Filipinas de Acuzar? Share your experiences!