“excellent as always” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BarBoru Restaurant

BarBoru Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish, European, British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff
Description: A warm welcome for everyone at Barboru - the home of good value quality cooking. Winner of 2013, 2014 & 2015 Certificates of Excellence from Trip Advisor Members. BarBoru serves Dinner, Brunch & Lunch in a clean friendly award winning environment. Free Wifi. Vegetarian options, cooked to order food, so in most cases we can tweek a dish... Owner operated and popular with tourists and locals alike. There are stairs, but enter from the side or rear of the centre to avoid excessive stairs.. Lift being built as I write!!
Malaga, Spain
“excellent as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I had been a regular at the old location and was keen to check out the new one, its an excellent location, lovely bright and clean as you would expect. We only stopped in for breakfast, I was pleased to see the food standards and presentation were as high as ever. Fantastic views from the large terrace, well worth climbing a set of stairs!

Barboru, Owner at BarBoru Restaurant, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review and indeed compliments. Yes..We are a work in progress and growing into our new home! I truly appreciate your comments and understanding of the fact we are still walking before running! It was a huge job to move the restaurant and hope our regular clients would follow. I am happy to say the overall support we have received from our regular clients is so encouraging. Everyday a little tweak and it gets us closer to making BarBoru the best we can possible make it. Thank you once again.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Brian and his staff make BarBoru a great experiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We found BarBoru at the far end on El Zoco internal eating area, up the stairs and enter Brian McDonnell's world. The huge outdoor roof terrace has great views out to sea and inland and as the sun sets becomes a lovely outdoor eating experiance. Brian's enthusiasm abounds as you are given a great choice of starters, mains and desserts and with his able waitress working alongside him you are in for a great evening. His Irish charm and wit is why this will be a successful venture in these his new premises. If it gets chilly or windy up there he turns the area into a wind free eaterie within seconds by closing the roof and sides and ramping up the heat with heaters.We have just come back and it was lovely up on the terrace so I should think in high summer it will be fantastic.I recommend the Liver and Bacon with Onion gravy with the Coconut and Malibu tart to follow.
I recommend the BarBoru experiance and Mr McDonnell's Irish blarney.

Barboru, Owner at BarBoru Restaurant, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you VERY much for your review and kind words.
As you will see from reading through other comments made by reviewers we are not always 'Top of the Class'
It is a balancing act to please everybody all of the time and TripAdvisor is a double edged sword for every restaurant owner.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your visits to BarBoru and that the inside / outside plan appealed to you.
It was on the advice of diners in our old location that we designed the New BarBoru and hopefully the 5 separate areas will cater to almost everybody.

The Liver & Bacon is a favourite of many so I am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you again for your time and effort.. and of course, your custom...
Mijas, Spain
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We went for a treat on Mother's day. Set menu 4 choices one of which was already sold out by 1.30. Waited an house for food, drinks order was lost and we were advised not to say anything to the manager as he does not take kindly to criticism. No we will not be back as residents there are plenty of alternatives who do know the meaning of customer service.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank St0tties
Barboru, Owner at BarBoru Restaurant, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your Review.... I am truly saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your experience in BarBoru on Mothers Day, also at a loss to your comment that the manager does not like criticism.... She is a most attentive lady.
I, as the owner, personally reply to any review on trip adviser or ideally in person at the time of the meal, as that is when something can be done about it.
I will be the first to admit we are not at all perfect.
As we were fully booked on Mothers Day last month it was indeed very busy and with bad weather we ended up moving many diners who had booked to eat on out terrace to an inside table
I do know that by 4.30pm we had run out of Roast Chicken , but the beef, lamb, pork and salmon were still on. The Roast chicken was replaced by baked ham and parsley sauce.
With a set menu and 5 main course choices it is always a possibility that something will run out. Our full menu was also available along with the Special Sunday Lunch Menu with 32 additional main course choices. These were all available throughout the day.
Waiting an hour for food and drink I am totally amazed by. We have staff allocated to bringing drinks. I do know of one table who ( not reservations) arrived and I advised them that if they were in a hurry we were not the place for them that day as it was so busy. They did decide to stay and left happy.
It is a terrible shame that you didn't mention this to me on the day. As always I went to every table and checked that everything was ok. The suggestion that I do not take criticism well isn’t entirely accurate.
Since re locating to our new, larger venue we have changed neither our menu,staff or prices. Just added some new staff to cope with the increase in customers. I am pleased to say we have had many, many repeat customers . It is inevitable that we can never aspire to please everyone all the time, but we do try. Had you spoken to me about your concerns on the day I can assure you, whoever told you I was not open to criticism would have been proven wrong. I am known for being proactive in regards to making my restaurant the best it can possibly be. Your review has enforced this ideal in me even more and I thank you for that.
“The best Irish stew in Spain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just eaten at Bar Boru for the first time, and it won't be the last! We both had the Irish stew and the lamb melted in your mouth. Vegetables were perfectly cooked. Desserts were delicious, although a dairy free option, such as sorbet would be good. We can thoroughly recommend Bar Boru.

1 Thank Di S
Barboru, Owner at BarBoru Restaurant, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for your very nice review. It's always nice when someone takes the time to write.

I have learnt something very valuable from your comments. We need to explain more to our guests that as everything is cooked to order , we can do a vegetarian version of almost anything on our menu.. Stir fry, curry, Tempura vegetables, Pastas,,, I am so sorry I didn't make that clear to you on your visit.

I hope we get to look after you again and will certainly be highlighting our veggie options a lot more.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A new BarBoru”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

With the new location BarBoru is even better than before; same friendly staff, great service and fantastic food but with a terrace and a view it’s better than ever. Had a scrumptious chicken dinner with family and friends one evening and even managed to sneak in a Sunday roast lunch towards the end of my trip to, and once again had a fantastic time out in the sunshine with the added bonus of live music. Plan to visit again when next in Spain.

Barboru, Owner at BarBoru Restaurant, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. Since opening the restaurant in our new venue we have had many obstacles to overcome and it is heart warming to read your comments. I am so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you will visit us again.