“Gem in the forest”

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Macau, China
“Gem in the forest”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

A very nice resorts with pretty room, close to nature. However, location is a big far from city center, hotel service is not available at night, lots of forest bugs. Overall, we love staying there and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 28, 2010

I stayed at this resort for 2 nights with their adventure package, my choice of room was the deluxe Lanna cottage with jacuzzi. First, the pick up service was not efficient, driver was 30 min late arriving at the airport, left me feeling lost and stranded. It was a scenic 40 min drive to this resort, which is tucked away in a very secluded spot of Mae Rim region. Once arrived, one cannot help but be enchanted by the sight of the waterfall and the surrounding charm. This resort is run by a family, so you get a feeling of staying with a family, rather than usual cold feeling of checking into another hotel.

I shall mention the good things first. All meals are served in the restaurant by the waterfall, which is truly charming and relaxing. Food quality is above average, prices are not cheap but not exorbitant either. My package included all breakfast and a free Lanna stylre kantoke dinner. Kanthoke dinner is served by the outer "platform" with candle lights and one sits on Thai cusion, this is one of those precious experience when visiting Nothern Thailand. Since this resort is far way from everything, I just spend a day relaxing and took leisurely stroll around the resort. Fortunately, there was a lot of see, and abundant opportunities for the photographers. You will truly be in paradise if you love animals. The resort owner keeps a fewe birds (in the cage), 4 free-roaming peacocks, one of them is albino! A cute little long-haired chiquqhua named Mickey, and a parrot to greet you "sawasdee ka!". It's easy to spot the peacocks opening it's fan any time of the day. I was treated to this amazing site each time I had breakfast! 2 resident drivers Pow and Dan (He is the younger one) are both friendly and helpful. Dan took me to the tour which was included in this package, we went to thr elephant camp, monkey trainging shcool, orchid farm and the hill tribes village, etc. He was very happy when he received a nice tip. In the afternoon, I decided to have a relaxing jacuzzi, and was really pleased with my choice, a jacuzzi bath in the open nature was a true luxury!

Now comes the bad things. First, my room smell rather musty all the time, even after airing it for the whole day with all the windows opened. The outdoor bathroom is too exposed and I can see staffs walking pass and see me! The hot water system is not very reliable, it's hard to get the right temperature, it always change from very hot to freezing cold! My advice is try not to take showers at night when it's so cold outside. Wi-fi internet is ok, but with some disconnections, and speed is fairly slow. For those who like to stay at their famous "Eco tent", one has to walk over a hanging bridge to get there, and climb up some unsturdy stairs to get up there. Good walking shoes are recommended, and be careful when transporting your luggage there.

It's hard to say should I recommend this resort or not, you will have to decide if it has the things you are looking for. I'd say a 2-night stay is plenty, the waterfall and the beautiful nature does have a cleansing effect on the mind, more so than the spa they have which was overpriced. If you like something to do at night, then this place is not for you, because it does not offer limosine service to and from the night bazzar like other resorts do, enough said.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank la_speranza
Miami
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Sukantara is one of those magical tucked-away paradises that takes a little research to discover, but once you walk through the tropical foliage and pass the sculptures and enter the reception area that is completely engulfed in a jungle waterfall ravine, your breath is taken away. We came here with an extended family - my wife, brother and sis in law, a friend and our 2 kids - and we rented the double lana cottage. Peacocks (one albino) wandered freely and the exterior world was completely shut out during our whole time here. The staff was wonderful, and we got to know Sam the proprietor a little, who is obviously a hands-on and proud owner. This is a true escape, and one we hope to come back to again in the future. Rustic luxury. Comfort and pleasure in the midst of nature. Near the elephant camps and white water rafting. Romantic. Great for kids. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
leeds
Reviewed August 15, 2008

Superb setting on a waterfall which was in full flow at the time of our stay as it was the rainy season. This does make it a little noisy but also adds to the beauty of the setting. We stayed for two nights r and r after a very busy week of early starts and lots of activities so the fact that there is little to do here was perfect for us.
There are treking options from the resort and the staff will accompany guests as guides on the longer walks. The restaurant is fine for a couple of nights but may be a little restricted on longer stays.
The stafff are all friendly and helpful and we thought the rooms were lovely and really enjoyed the open air bathrooms which are very spacious.
I would not recommend this resort if you are wanting to go into Chiang Mai but for a jungle setting it cant be beaten.

• Liked — the setting
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2008

The Luxury Camp was an amazing experience which exceeded our expectations.

The relaxed atmosphere was really comfortable, fitted with modern appliances, hot water an in ground spa bath and bamboo shower - pure luxury in Northern Thailand! If you are looking for modern comfort in a relaxed atmosphere with stunning waterfall views, visit Sukantara and stay in the luxury camp - it is an experience to remember!

Australia

• Liked — Luxury Camp - modern appliances in nature
  • Disliked — the steps to get there!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
Reviewed May 20, 2008

We chose Sukantara after speaking directly with the hotel owner, reviewing the web site and reading reviews. I was traveling with my wife and parents for two weeks around Thailand and the 4 days we stayed at Sukantara were the best days by far of the wonderful vacation.

The setting is out of a movie and the staff makes sure your stay is undisturbed, as you get acquainted with the beauty of your surroundings. The food was so fresh and tasteful; better yet, it was so reasonably priced for the quality. Each one of us experienced a spa treatment and it was so incredibly tranquil and restorative.

I cannot say enough about the owners, the staff and our time at Sukantara. If we make our way from NYC back to Thailand again, we will be sure to call upon Sukantara

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Newcastle
Reviewed May 15, 2008

From the moment we arrived at the property we were all amazed, its simply beautiful. The resort is built around the waterfall and is just so tranquil. The villas are beautiful and the staff could not be any more helpful, they made us so welcome and Nothing was a problem. I can not recommend this property highly enough and as a travel agent I will be telling all my clients about it.

I cant wait to visit again.

• Liked — The location and relaxation and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing..It was fantastic
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mae Rim
Proud Phu Fah Resort
Proud Phu Fah Resort
#6 of 19 in Mae Rim
Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai

Been to Sukantara Cascade Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!