All reviews dance show one night unexpected gem rice fields traditional life lobby area close to nature stayed longer chiang mai air conditioning breakfast buffet culture wifi accommodation mountains insight grounds
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Spent 2 days here in January after being in the city for 4 days. What a nice escape from the hustle and bustle. It's a bit of a choir finding someone who is willing/able to get us there, but we managed to find a taxi-truck who agreed to take us there and pick us up to take us to the bus depot 2 days later. Keep in mind it's a good hour or so drive from the city. I think it cost us about $15 each way (?). The drive up the mountain in the back of the truck was fun.

Once you get here, wow! It's so quiet and peaceful! We were one of 2 parties at this hotel on our first day. I sat at the pool that overlooked the farm next door, and I had it all to myself! I didn't see anyone except the groundskeeper for 3 hours. I sat in the 30 degree sun around the pool, reading my book, and taking in the view of the mountains and the cows. The cows all had cowbells that were really calming.

The cabins have 4 units in each structure, with a common area in the middle which includes an indoor fire pit. Although it's 30 degrees during the day, it's felt like 5-10 degrees Celsius at night time when you really had to bundle up (and turn the heater on). But we lit a fire and roasted marshmallows that we bought on our walk up the hill to the village where the Hmong tribal people live. The first night we had the place to ourselves. The second night there were a few other parties, including a couple who were in one of the other cabins in the same building as us.

If you don't like peace and quiet, this may not be the place for you. I LOVED it though! You can arrange a guided hike with the hotel if you like. They have Wi-Fi in the lobby, and contrary to what I read, there is cellphone reception up there (I had a TrueMove H cell phone).

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank DennyCrane123
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were on a five day tour of the golden triangle, stopping off at Hmong Tribehill lodges, lafor Alan overnight stay, what a beautiful and peaceful place to spend a night. An evening b-b-q was the meal for that night, candle lit, very interesting, tasty local food as well as kebab prepared food with all the trimmings. Delicious.

Room tip: All bungalows were as nice as each other.so quiet.
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank globetrotter820
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Had a great overnight stay. The buildings are very much in the local style with bamboo walls and hardwood floors. Although the interiors are a little tired and there is no aircon, this didn't detract from the stay. There is also a great pool with fab views. We had a buffet of BBQ kebabs and local Thai dishes for dinner followed by a local cultural performance of Hmong ceremonies, music and dance. The following day we took a guided walk through the forest, farmland and village which was very interesting.

Stay here if you would like a unique experience relating to Hmong culture. This place is not for those who need all modcons.

Date of stay: February 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We arrived late in the afternoon and had a swim in the pool which although cold was very refreshing! The rooms were quite basic but that's what I was expecting. There is wifi available in the reception area. The evening buffet meal by candlelight was good but I wished I had warmer clothes to wear that evening! The local entertainment gave us a good insight in to some of the local customs. It was so peaceful we heard nothing when we went to bed. Breakfast was western which was a surprise as all the other places we stayed offered Thai food. Would have been good to have stayed a bit longer to really benefit from the peace and quiet.

Date of stay: January 2014
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2014

It seems that this place is located far away from everything and everyone. It is high up the mountain, about 45 min drive from Chiang Mai and not all taxi drivers even know where it is (or willing to take you there). But once you do get there, it is breathtaking and so incredibly quiet. Best night sleep in a very long time. This is the place you want to be to relax and forget about everything. Very basic simple accommodation and food, but everything is done with love and soul. Staff is very friendly, rooms are comfortable and clean, it even has a nice size pool, and beautiful nature all around you.
To get anywhere from the lodge you need to rent a car or arrange a driver. This was the only drawback for us as we thought it was closer to the city when we booked it. But in no way did this ruin our experience.
If you want to stay in a simple yet beautiful and peaceful place away from the tourist track, this is the place.

Date of stay: August 2013