“Beautiful countryside”

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Reviewed August 8, 2005

I've stayed here on 3 or 4 occasions.

The main selling point is the surrounding countryside and views from the pool area and restaurants and the general atmosphere, which is quite special.

My Thai partner and I thought the food very average. Wine is very extravagently priced too, but this is common on most 5 star hotels in Thailand.

We had a larger (3 bedroom) pavillion on our last visit, with small plunge pool and full time housekeeper. None of us felt particularly comfortable. The decor looks great but it's a triumph of style over comfort and common sense. I have a full time housekeeper in the UK and am quite comfortable with the idea, I never felt particularly "at ease" here though, I'd do without the housekeeper next time, if I returned.

The "plunge pool" wasn't especially private and really not worth paying extra for.

We had a problem getting a car to take us into town for an evening out (about 20-30 mins away). They didn't have a car. Period. We got the Thai "solly cannot, no have" line over and over. I asked for the manager, but was told he'd left for the day and couldn't be contacted. So I asked to speak to his boss. Apparently, he doesn't have one. 45 minutes later one of the front office staff drove us into town. In the managers car. So maybe he was there after all!

One charming feature is the music at 6pm, played in a sala at the opposite end of the paddy field. You know you're in Thailand.

The resort has alot of snakes. You see smaller ones in the grass, but my business partner refuses to return, having very nearly sat on a 4 foot brown snake (no idea what type!). It had been dozing under a garden chair!

I've not been back for a couple of years now. I now prefer the Amari in Chiang Mai - simple, formulaic, but great value and location, wirth excellent managment.

• Stayed: January 2002
7  Thank dokanman
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Reviewed August 7, 2005

I can't express how much I enjoyed my stay in Chiang Mai at the Four Seasons. After recieving your flower garland the staff asks you if you will need a ride on one of the many golf carts when in fact our room was very close. We came with a tour group on Easter Weekend, therefore it was very busy and we were upgraded to a residence due to lack of rooms. A housekeeper stayed at the house all day even though we were gone sightseeing, and riding elephants. The pool was gorgeous and the view of the rice paddies with the two water buffalos topped it off. Although we used the resort as a hotel, I would have loved to stay a few more days to enjoy their cooking school and actually wander around the property.
Overall in my opinion you can really enjoy yourself at Chaing Mai at the beautiful Four Seasons. I would stay here again and again/

5  Thank cng343
Reviewed August 6, 2005

It is hard to rate perfection, but I will try. The hotel itself is situated 30 minutes, easy drive, northwest of the city center. They provide transportation to anywhere you want to go, so it doesn’t matter if you have a car or not. We stayed in the residences, the private homes in huge, Victorian teak mansions, that the owners can rent to guests. We enjoyed full usage of the facilities of the resort, so it was almost better, because our room was more like a nook in a castle. The private residences could use the pool for the guests and their own pool. Both were bliss. More about that in a moment.

The grounds – Absolutely gorgeous. Working rice fields are the center piece, around which all the hotel rooms, the pool, the wedding cottage, the little table on the lake where they do honeymoon dinners, the cooking school are all arranged. There are many workers, dressed in traditional thai outfits, tending to the rice fields, walking around two oxen that are mascots of the hotel – I have never seen such well groomed beasts. There are paths throughout for walking, and it is a dreamy atmosphere, surrounded by mountains. Seems every view was manicured to be a perfect assimilation of elements to form perfect pictures. There are streams, waterfalls, quiet arbors, and not many mosquitos. I don’t know how they eliminate a problem so prevalent everywhere else, but we didn’t notice bugs at all. The hotel is surrounded by roads, small villages, and they give you free mountain bikes to go exploring. We rode to a waterfall in the national park about 40 minutes ride from the hotel, then hiked up to the falls. What a magical couple of hours that was.

The rooms. While we stayed at a room in the residences for about 1/3 the price of the cost of the regular hotel rooms, we did see the hotel rooms themselves so I can write about them. The rooms were in cottages of four rooms each, with sitting area, walkway to a huge lanai porch that overlooked the rice fields, and they were magnificent. Worth every cent of the 400++ USD they cost for a night.

The facilities. The gym was excellent, stocked full with all kinds of aerobic and weight machines. There were always several staff there to assist you, and they provided free bottled water and chilled towels. The mountain bikes were free to use and they provided helmets, maps affixed to the handlebars, and suggestions as to where to go. The pools were magnificent. The main hotel pool was located at the front of the rice fields. There was a large pool upstairs, surrounded by comfy loungers. The service was excellent of course. Then below, was an adults only small little pool and plenty more lounger, and it seemed to be right in the field. The Jacuzzi was in its own private pavilion, and was truly perfect. The second pool is more private but no less spectacular, in an area of trees among the beautiful residences.

The one suprising and disappointing thing were the restaurants. Aside from reasonably priced room service, the restaurants were very reasonable for a resort of this standard, but there were only two. A lovely international restaurant by the pool, with a basic international coffee shop menu, and a Thai restaurant by the lobby, very reasonable as well. But there was no high end restaurant, and that was unexpected. The choices were fine, but limited, and very mundane. However, the major exception was the memorable Sunday brunch they served at their cooking school. The location among the trees in a beautiful setting was terrific and the food was amazing. It cost about 30 per person and was more than worth it

If you can afford it, the Four Seasons Chiang Mai is a true inspiration. Give yourself the gift of a few days there and you won’t mind going broke in the process.

• Stayed: July 2005
17  Thank mikestage
Reviewed June 11, 2005

The Four Seasons Chiang Mai is a unbelievable hotel in a setting which quite simply took my breath away each morning of our stay. I have worked in some fantastic 5-star hotels, and believe me us hotel managers are difficult to please, but the Four Seasons exceeded my expectations in every way. I never wanted to leave!

4  Thank birthdaygirl1975
Reviewed May 31, 2005

I have stayed at many luxury hotels around the world, but the Four Seaons Chiang Mai takes the cake! Our five-day stay was absolutely wonderful. From the limosine airport pickup to the rooms, to the service, it is a dream come true. Frankly, this place puts many of the top Bangkok hotels to shame. Yes it is expensive, but oh-so worth it. The views, the pool, the room service, the water buffalos roaming the property, the torches lit at night...the entire ambiance is magical. We could not find fault with this property. This is what a five-star hotel is all about!

Stayed: May 2005

Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Howie's HomeStay
Howie's HomeStay
#3 of 19 in Mae Rim

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!