“FANTASTIC HOTEL”

Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great hotel - amazing grounds and wonderful bar area overlooking the pool – Lovely Bathroom - exceptional staff, would definitely return

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Reviewed June 9, 2011

We travel a lot and have stayed in various Thai hotels over the years. We thought we'd try the Four Seasons as it has such a good name and found out that although it works in most countries, it detracts from a stay in Thailand.
Briefly:
1) Reception is to be avoided as you cannot speak to staff without them trying to 'upsell' your package or push their latest offer on you - rather than just being helpful as most Thai people naturally are. Very American feel to it.
2) The resort is lovely but the surrounding countryside is not great and again disappoints in a Thai 'paradise' context.
3) You are charged for everything (wifi, tourist maps etc whcih are free in most of the nicer hotels in Thailand). Four Seasons prices are expected to be high but it is annoying to have to keep buying small things when trying to relax.
4) AND THIS IS THE REASON WE HAVE BOTHERED TO REVIEW. They continually spam us with offers despite having opted out initially and having unsubscribed several times since. Close to 100 emails now I would guess.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeeNorm
TitiyaChooto, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Dear GeeNorm,

I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed by your stay at our Resort. We always strive to exceed our guests' expectations, and I'm disappointed that we weren't able to do this on your recent visit. I am happy that you thought the Resort was lovely, but sorry that the surrounding countryside didn't live up to your hopes of a Thai paradise.

It concerns me that you felt that our reception staff were trying to upsell to you - the team often makes recommendations of services and activities that they believe might appeal to guests, or enhance the guests' stay, and I'm sorry that this is not how you felt the message came across. We will review the way we communicate with guests at reception.

Regarding maps, our Concierge has a wide range of tourist maps, brochures, etc. that are available to guests for free. We also have a more extensive souvenir map that is available for guests to purchase - and I think this is perhaps the one you refer to in your review.

I am disturbed to hear that you have continually received emails after having unsubscribed to our newsletters - this shouldn't be happening, and I will definitely look into this to make sure that you are not included in any of our distribution lists, both from our property and from other Four Seasons properties. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Once again, please accept my apologies that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would very much like to speak with you personally so that I can ensure that we address all of your concerns at the Resort. I can be contacted by email at titiya.chooto@fourseasons.com, and would only be too happy to hear from you.

With kind regards,

Titiya Chooto (Ms.)
General Manager, Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai

Reviewed June 8, 2011

This was one of the best hotels I have ever been to. It would be perfect for a honeymoon. Because we came during the low season, it felt like we had the property to ourselves. When we arrived we were greeted with leis and welcome drinks and were upgraded to a room with an adjoining treehouse/living room. When the manager found out we had signed up for an outside cooking school, she pretty aggressively sold us on the Four Seasons class (that was 3x as expensive). I have to say, I'm so glad we decided to change though, because we ended up with a private class with the executive chef! A guide brought us to the local market (which was an incredible experience!!) and we learned 4 different dishes that were all excellent. It made us appreciate dining at the hotel restaurant, because we knew how to make some of the dishes! One night we decided to have a private dinner in the "honeymoon villa" (even though we aren't married or engaged for that matter). It was the most romantic thing I've ever done. I felt like we were in an episode of the Bachelor. They gave us a candle/raft at the end, which is used in a ceremony in November called Loi Krathong (it is about letting go and starting afresh). But the icing on the cake was when we got back to our hotel room and they had sprinkled a trail of rose petals leading to the jacuzzi and had champagne and chocolate--and a photo they had taken at dinner framed on the bed!!! We started laughing it was so over-the-top, but it was truly amazing, as was the rest of our stay!! The spa was incredible (my boyfriend said it was the best he'd had in his life). Definitely worth the splurge...

Room Tip: go during the low season!
Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elisaanyc
Reviewed June 4, 2011

What a beautiful spot for a 5 star resort. Gentle hills, lush rice paddies, and a sense of seclusion from bustling Chiang Mai. We chose a room close to the front lobby, restaurants and main pool, which was quite convenient during the heat of the day. The outdoor poolside beds are luxurious, and the friendly wait staff brings free sample treats throughout the day. The spa is delightful - we had a private room with shower and sauna before our reflexology treatment. Rooms are spacious and well appointed, as are the attached lanais, but if you're on the lanai in the evening, insect repellant is not an option. The "Italian" restaurant is expensive but the food is excellent and beautifully presented. There's a library with free computers, but if you prefer Wifi in the room, be sure to ask for one inclusive price, otherwise you might be charged separately for each device. The gift shops have gorgeous items but the prices are many times more than they should be.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

It is a Four Season and everything is priced there after. The hotel is very nice and the rooms are great and the views are super but I just did not get the big wow that you normally get at a Four Season. I guess I just get ticked off when you pay a fortune to the room and then you have to pay a fortune for a club sandwich...you really feel "nickel-ed and dimed". The Spa was fantastic and that was a real 5 star experience for sure

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2011

The Chaing Mai resort was everything we had hoped for it to be. We stayed in one of the Rice Pavilions overlooking the rice patties which made for a very romantic setting. The lower priced rooms are laid out exactly the same as those that overlook the rice patties, so if you can get upgraded for the view it is worth it.

The food is fantastic. I'm not sure if there is a meal plan offered, but it would be worth the meal plan to get it. You are over a 30 minute drive from Chaing Mai downtown and there are no other restaurants around the hotel.

We did the cooking school one day which was amazing. I highly recommend it. You visit a local food market with the sous-chef and are able to try all sorts of local fruits and sweets. The market trip is very informative interesting. The cooking school itself is absolutely beautiful and made for a really fun day.

The Spa was great, although hidden in the back part of the property so a little hard to find. My husband and I each got a Thai Massage and we were both very sore the following day. The massage was not as relaxing as I would have hoped, but I've been told that Thai massage is a bit more rigorous compared to swedish massage, so possibly our fault for not requesting a different type of massage.

We dined privately at The Rice Barn one night and this was really so romantic and made for a very special evening. We opted for our meal to be paired with wines and this was a mistake because two of the four courses were paired with Thai wine, which was not that good. We would have been better off simply ordering wine, cocktails or beer a la carte and getting something that we enjoyed to drink along with the fantastic meal that we had.

The service was top notch. The concierge had wonderful suggestions to keep us busy on the days we wanted to explore. I drink a special cocktail and on our first night there I explained to the bartender how to make my drink. The next night we went to a different bar on the property and upon hearing what room we were in, the bartender of this new bar asked me if I would like my "special" drink explaining that the other bartender had called him and walked him through how to make it. That really impressed me that there was such great communication amongst the staff to ensure the guests have the best possible vacation.

We traveled alone for my husbands 40th birthday, but this is certainly a property I would bring my children back to. There is a lot to do right around the hotel that would be fun for children: Tiger Preserve, Cobra Show, Elephant Trek, Monkey Preserve.

Overall, we had an absolutely fantastic vacation. The only compliant I have is that the Wi-Fi in the rooms is intermittent. We constantly were getting knocked off Wi-Fi. At this level of hotel the internet in the rooms should be free anyway if you ask me. To get charged $30 for unreliable internet is annoying at the end of a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rice Patty views are the most romantic.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank beachbella6905
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed three nights at this resort, the way this resort is laid out is superb. We over looked a rice field with buffalows, it had two pools....it was quiet and peaceful and they kill all the mosquitos once a week, the flowers and the trees around this beautiful resort were amazing...The staff are very helpful and friendly.....top class service and some of the staff were very sweet and shy, which i think adds to the appeal of the place

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Khum Phaya Resort & Spa, Centara Boutique Collection
Howie's HomeStay
Howie's HomeStay
#3 of 19 in Mae Rim

Been to Four Seasons Resort Chiang Mai? Share your experiences!