All reviewshome staythai foodvacation experiencechiang maievery cornerluxury hotelthai silkunique experiencefour seasons hotelnoodlesjerryhowiesaddycookingbeautyasiapavilions
Reviewed September 29, 2016 via mobile

Staying at Howie's was like staying with an 'old-Chiang Mai hand' who brings friends together for a wonderful, private and serene experience at his home. Howie's Homestay is simply the most beautiful luxury home in Chiang Mai and probably anywhere we have seen. His wife Jerri serves beautifully presented authentic local cuisine bursting with flavor and we will both be leaving carrying too much excess baggage around our waists! Yet the home itself constantly wants to be the star ... lovingly created by Howie in golden teak traditional Thai Lanna style with all the love and attention to detail deserved of anyone's piece of serenity they are lucky to call home. Thank you to Howie, Jerri and all the staff. May be next time we bring the family.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2016

Howie's homestay is what every 5 star resort should be. It was absolutely epic. The property has been designed and built to absolute perfection. Breathtaking views, unreal hospitality. Howie has created a venue that I will be traveling back to for years to come. His knowledge of the area and activities is second to none. The food was equally perfect, basically eating the absolute best food in Thailand for the whole stay. Jerri is an incredible chef, she basically ruined every other place we ate due to her food being incredible. We continued our journey onto Koh Samui Four seasons, and as the Four seasons was wonderful, it cant hold a candle to Howie's.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2016

Howie’s Homestay sits in the dense tropical Mae Rim Valley of Chiang Mai. This luxurious privately owned villa, surrounded by a lush Eden-like garden is the perfect hideaway for discreet travellers who doesn't want to be bothered with the hustle and bustle of a commercial luxe hotel. In a well-connected world, it is harder and harder to find resorts or hotels that offer absolutely privacy and a sense of hospitality that felt genuine and sincere. Here in Howie’s homestay, you not only have the property (a Master suite and 3 bedroom family suite) all to yourself but also the charming company of uncle Howie and his beautiful wife, Jerri. Having lived in Chiang Mai for over 20 years, they are a good source of information on where to go, eat and play should you decide to step out for a day trip. Otherwise, do spend a day or two, relaxing by the pool or just simply immersing into the tranquil beauty of the place. I will not go into details of the property as the photos will convince you how beautifully crafted each pavilions are designed, inside and out. However, the real “gem” of Howie’s Homestay is none other than Jerri’s delicious home cooked meals. There is no menu so every meal is a surprise. Jerri goes to the market everyday to hand pick fresh ingredients and produce herself, making sure that her guests eat nothing but the very best. She said over dinner one day that cooking is not so much the process but rather the satisfaction of knowing her guest thoroughly enjoyed her food. I guess this is her secret recipe then. One hearty dish after another, made from the warmth of her hands and her heart. Now, can any 5-star hotel offer something more bespoke than that? Only those lucky enough to have stayed here will know.

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2016 via mobile

I work at a luxury hotel and stay here with my girlfriend and two other girls. Trust me, they are crazy and lazy (Howie, you know who I am now).
We do travel a lot and I don't usually comment hotels since most of them just provide standard service which means I just get what I pay for. In Howie's Homestay, you of course get nice garden, good food, and luxury rooms just like most of other luxury brands.
I write this comment because of the below details.
1. We had cooking class with Jeri. She went through all the details and made sure we can get all the spices at the local market. From those fresh spices, she packed and ensured we can plant it back home.
2. We did change plans. The girls always had strange idea and changed our plan at last minute. Howie was so patient even though we were driving him crazy. He won't just say OK to everything. Instead, he gave advice, discussed with us, and made it happen.
3. Howie is not young and he sleeps early (before midnight). We went for tattoo one night and came back at about 2am. The driver needed to call and wait him up to open the door. When we got to the gate, we saw warm smile on Howie's face, not that kind of professional smile.
This is a luxury accommodation that feels like home.
不知道为什么这个app一定要输入汉字。这是一家不是民宿的民宿,所有的配置都远超过民宿的定义。说它是豪华酒店,但又有家的感觉。我们几个挑剔的家伙都很满意。

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2016

I have been a guest at Howie's Home Stay four times and it just keeps getting better! My family has joined me including the kids as well as I have visited with just myself and wife.

Perfect for couples and perfect for families.
From massages, cooking classes, private yoga classes in or out of the best pool in Asia, Sun bathing and listening to music it is all there to relax privately, as only you and your entourage are the only guess. It is all arranged just how you would like it or just ask Howie for suggestions. You can do aS little or as much as you want.

Frankly, I have no reason to look elsewhere because there is no comparison. IF you like personalized VIP service like no other, great food, wonderful outings, being surrounded by fantastic design and architecture, antique shopping just to name a few highlights, then you'll appreciate Howie and Jerri's uncompromised hospitality and undersand why we return time and time again.

The stunning Thai Food is beyound reproach, breakfast, lunch and dinner. From Jerr's gourmet home cooked meals, to a simple local Thai street food joints or the occasional visit to one of the local Italian Restaurants, I always want for nothing. Try to get Howie to take you to the open air market and supermarket as both are stocked with all the fresh local and international items you could possibly desire.

Need a recommendation for the best French restaurant in Yangon and the best hotel, no problem. Think you want to take a boat along the laos/thai border to see buddhist temples for a few days, Visit Angkor Wat, head south to Koi Samui, say no more as Howie makes a phone call and off you go.

This Feb. we were at a loss on where new to visit and Howie recommended Sri Lanka to which we had never been. He pust us in contact with famous travel writer Cynthia Rosenfeld; tow days later a new exciting agenda is prepared and off we go.
After days of historic; five star hotels including Lipton Tea Plantation, Amangalla Galle Fort Hotel, Noel Rodrigo Leopard Safari...all five star experiences or do they do ten stars yet?

I continue to let all my friends know to not let life pass you by whithout a visit to Howie's HomeStay.

You should go once as it is truly a life experience no matter how many times you go.

Room Tip: all the rooms are just fantasic just depends if a couple or family, it is all great
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple