“Nice little place!”

Siam Insect Zoo
Ranked #6 of 44 things to do in Mae Rim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Siam Insect-Zoo & Museum is a great place for famlies visiting Chiang Mai. The facility was renovated in 2010 and includes exhibits with insects ranging from caterpillars to beetles to butterflies.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

You don't need a long visit here - indeed, we had some spare time after visiting Tiger Kingdom just down the road and decided to pop in because I am a huge insect geek.

The information and 'museum' style part of this place is great. That's the bit you begin with. Loads of information and examples of various insects and other creatures, including how the little critters work. Very well set out. The butterfly garden area is nice too, although I would have liked more signage about the species you could see and also the plants there too.

The insect area was very good. Various insects were bought out for you to hold and my favourite ones, the mantids, were well represented. They were wonderful! Other reviews here state that the girls in that area were very informative and explained a lot. I must have come on a day where the non English speaking ones were working! Not too bad as I have worked in insect gardens before, but it would have been nice for my boyfriend to hear insect facts from someone else for once and not put up with me! They seemed very keen to show us their creatures and I liked the enthusiasm despite the language barrier.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This place is amazing! The live bugs and insects are fascinating and the enthusiasm of the staff and management, and the boss are just so brilliant to be around. You can't come to Thailand without coming across bugs so you might as well find out about them from the people that know! Some are rare so even more important to know about. This place is run by people with a passion and a deep knowledge. Take advantage of this and go visit!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Its good to visit this very interesting attraction if you've been to Tiger Kingdom. A very short trip to it. You can walk amongst the butterflies, have the very large bugs crawl over you. Pick up the creepy crawlies that are used in films like Indiana Jones, including a black scorpion (brown ones are the deadly ones it seems). The collection on the walls of the various insects is amazing. The live ones even more. For 200baht entry a star attraction. We took our Thai drivers in as well and they had a lot of fun. Great fun and not crowded.

1  Thank Michael E
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We did a day trip to this area (Mae Rim). It is pretty well set up for tourists.

So we decided after reading the review to take our nearly 7 year old to this place as we saw it as educational. The staff were very attentive to our daughter. I am sure the blonde hair and blue eyes had nothing to do with it.

The butterfly enclosure was a great highlight.

My wife having done studying and collecting thought this a good idea to come. However, some of the collection has had moisture enter it and mold has formed.

A good experience at a reasonable tourist rate. Better than being asked to pay 1500 B to go into the Long Neck Village.

All the best

Good for kids they get to touch creepy crawlies.

2  Thank Geoman1
Reviewed December 31, 2012

great to occupy a 7 and 9 year old for 45 mins! Run by a retired entomologist. better than the monkey farm up the road