“An oasis with outstanding food”

The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort
Bangkok
“An oasis with outstanding food”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I came up here for 1 night (24 hours) and had a wonderful time. The whole place had a serene and relaxing vibe. The food was not only super healthy, but very delicious. Next time I'd like to stay much longer and probably try some type of detox program. The resort seemed to be doing the right thing judging by the smiles on everyone's face!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Great to hear you enjoyed your brief stay. To get the full feeling of our place come stay for a few days or a week. Many guests say "You've Changed my Life"... to me that's the WOW of our place.
Guy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a wonderful time at the resort, on a 8 day fasting program. Learnt a lot about raw foods, healthy eating. Everything in the program was done with a trained team and a GREAT CHEF. You can go alone or with friends, renting a villa, room or 1 bed town house. It is set in the countryside of Chiang Mai, but they have a bus to take you into town a few times a week.
I cannot wait to go again. Its all about the food, relaxing, massage, yoga, different programs and I cannot wait to go again. We were never hungry either.

Room Tip: Rooms around the pool are adequate, but the villas to rent for groups are fabulous..
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank allysondoha
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
I'll let the Chef know he's doing a great job, thanks. Also thanks for mentioning "your never hunger" it's something folks just expect when "fasting" not with this fast! We look forward to your return and welcome to the Radiance Club your now a member.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I did the half raw food (4 days) and half fasting (3.5 days) detox and stayed for 10 days overall. I had previously done a 7 day detox at the Spa resort in Koh Samui. I found the whole experience to be wonderful and exactly what I needed after travelling through Asia for 3 months. The shorter fast is a good option if you're new to fasting and it's great to ease into it by just eating raw food prior to starting the fast. The staff at the resort are lovely and welcoming. All of the staff (from housekeeping to the grounds-people) are friendly and make an effort to say hello. The daily yoga and meditation are fantastic and a great start to the day. There was a slight mix-up with my room and I ended up getting an upgrade from a pool deluxe room to a villa, and I felt very spoilt to have it all to myself with 2 storeys and 2 balconies overlooking the pool. I had a daily Thai massage - usually with La - who was fantastic. Once I had a male masseuse who was very heavy-handed and I found it quite painful. It's important to communicate what kind of massage you like and try to stick with one therapist if you find one you like. The resort has 2 pools, so you can often have a very private swim/sunbathe. The grounds are very tranquil and lovely to walk around. The daily activities are great - though I would've liked the water aerobics to be on more than once a week. The raw food preparation classes were quick and simple, the food delicious and you made enough to last for several meals. I did buy some products (coconut moisturiser, shampoo etc) from the salon thinking they were natural, but found them to have fragrance in them and had to return them due to allergies. I would expect a health spa to be more mindful of chemical products, especially when trying to detox. With regard to the detox itself, I found a lot of explanation is given about the fast, but not much about the raw food aspect. You're pretty much left to your own devices. Overall, I had an amazing experience and I would definitely go back. If you're hesitant about detoxing or fasting, just give it a go. There are enough things to keep you busy and it's a great environment to do one in. Everyone is very supportive and there's a really good energy about the place. There are also a lot of solo travellers so it's easy to make friends if travelling alone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Caroline N
Glad your stay with us in Chiang Mai was good. We are continually improving in all areas and hope we see you again real soon. I can promise some new activities/treatments on your next visit.
We hope you can learn how to Look better, feel stronger and live longer.
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I wanted a few days at a resort, at the end of my holiday, and a health retreat really interested me. After reading various reports on Trip advisor, I decided to book the Spa Report, Mae Rim, 40 minutes out of Chaing Rai. It was a good decision!
Whilst I didn't do a detox or yoga package, I was able to eat fabulist raw or vegetarian food at their Resturant. The also have fish and chicken. The also have some wine ( but didn't indulge)The food was reasonably priced for a resort.
I paid for my massages, and facials etc, which are often included in a package. I also joined a yoga session. All 4 in the group where at different standards and the yoga leader catered for us all. She was fabulous.
The swimming pool, 11 steps from my room, was fine for doing laps, or lazing around chatting. I did the complimentary village walk on my first evening, and found plenty to occupy my time here.
One of the good things about this resort was there were quite a few other solo travellers. They were mainly here to do a detox or fasting program. There were also a group of guests doing the boot camp. Again they were predominately solo travellers or couples. Most of the guests I spoke with were here for one to three weeks.
I had a hire car from Chaing Mai, so was able to leave the resort and explore the area.
I do recommend this resort, and will likely come back, with a group of friends and rent a villa/house and participate in a program.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
We're so pleased to hear you had such a wonderful time, that's way we're here. We want people to learn to take better care of themselves at the same time having a holiday to remember.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've just returned after 8 wonderful days at the resort. The weather was great, facilities good, spa treatments very professional and relaxing, reception staff, extremely helpful, activities enough to keep you busy, detox easy to follow with NO hunger whatsoever, staff, attentive and cooking classes a must. i had heaps of fun with Chef. I had an amazing time. Met interesting people although the resort was very quite. I personally prefer low season and open space, no need to queue for a detox drink. For me, a semi fast, 3.5days was more than enough. A good introduction. Being a raw vegan, it was paradise !
Do visit the nearby Maesa Elephant Camp. It's an amazing outing.
Guy and staff, thank you and hope to see you all again soon
xx

Room Tip: The deluxe pool villas are nice. Best suited for single travellers. I would suggest a town house for...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Mercia,
Thank you, I'm delighted you had a good frist experience. Do come back and give the 7 day cleanse a go... it is more powerful. We are also always adding new things and having timely promotions so we'll be sending you our newsletter to keep you posted and to give you our tips on Looking better, feeling stronger and living longer in our Trends section.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was our sixth trip to The Spa Resort, but we have not been back in 7 years. It was also our first time in Chiang Mai, we visited Koh Samui previously. It was brilliant. The accommodation was wonderful, we had a two storey villa, bedroom & bathroom on the top floor and living area downstairs. It was very well equipped and very clean, and cleaned daily. The air-conditioning was great & really needed as it was very hot when we were there. The bed was very comfortable & that is important as my husband is fussy about such things! It is surrounded by farms & nature, so it is really quiet. The pool is wonderful, the massage & other treatments are also great. Now, the actual fast / detox. We did an 11 day detox this time & it was just wonderful. We love that it is all about self management, so you have to manage your time and make sure that you stick to the programme. As we have done it so often and it is the same programme, we did not need any assistance. It is an inexpensive programme but a great one, however if you are looking for lots of support from staff and hand holding, then this is not the place for you. This place is about you taking responsibility for yourself. For my Husband and I, it is the perfect place. You do the fast & you manage this yourself, you meet interesting people, you relax, there are yoga classes every morning, you have brilliant massages & beauty treatments, and yes, at times you do dream about food because you are not eating whilst on the programme! However you are never hungry because you are drinking so much liquids & juices. Unlike Koh Samui, the Chiang Mai resort is not close to town, so it is quite isolated. We were not sure about how that would work for us initially, but it turned out to be great. All we needed was at the resort, and it was nice to be away from the world for a few days, to not hear the noise of cars and to get away from it all. However, if isolation is not your thing, then I would suggest the Koh Samui resort which is much closer to town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
It always amazes me that year after year so many of our customers come back time and again. I know how well the cleanse works it's just that I never thought 21 years ago, when we opened, that this would be what would be happening. I love it, and I appreciate it, it gives me great pleasure to see all these people learning to enjoy to take care of themselves. I especially enjoy friends like you that have found this path and stay on it. Sometimes it may not work out to come every year but you do come back to get your system cleaned out. Congrad's on a job well done.

Founder
The Spa Resorts
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

20 km outside the city of Chiang Mai, set in lush green trees is this resort. It offers overnight accomodation, and a detox centre and spa. You can book packages, and the residents I met are certainly happy with their weight loss results. It has a sister site on Koh Samui that has been going for years very successfully .
This is a newer venture, and still has teething problems. However, it is not expensive, so if weight loss is your goal, you can achieve that here. The spa is similar to most others in Thailand, but has a couple outstanding staff. Mui is a treasure, but you need to book in advance for her. The dining room needs work, menu too long, as is the wait for service. I wish the Spa well, and hope the owners address the issues of upgrading the paths, and the general tidying up of the site

Room Tip: Around the pool, nice view. I gave children's activities a poor mark, as I don't think they...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bugslawson
TheSpaguy, Owner at The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for your good wishes. We are certainly address the issues you recommend and each month get better and better. Very soon to be at the top of our game, the organic farm in high gear, programs polished, and staff at attention for your service. Yes, menu much to long, next month a whole new easy to order approach. Thank you for your valued input.
Guy Hopkins
Sukantara Cascade Resort & Spa
Jirung Health Village
Jirung Health Village
#2 of 39 in Mae Rim

Been to The Pavana Chiang Mai Resort? Share your experiences!