Ban Rai Tin Thai Ngarm Eco Lodge
$85
$88
$86
TripAdvisor
Proud Phu Fah Resort(Mae Rim)
$81
$74
Agoda.com
Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai(Mae Rim)(Great Value!)
$41
$32
$27
$24
Gudi Boutique Hotel(Mae Rim)(Great Value!)
$40
$36
$941
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
All reviewssala cafechiang maithai cookingshort drivenorthern thailandhostsbicyclesaccommodationkmrimhillycyclingscooterrelaxationtigerelephants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Excellent value for money with top notch service. Will definitely go back when we are in chiang Mai again

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Kg_ag
Reviewed October 11, 2011

What a wonderful, tranquil spot! Ban Rai Tin Thai Ngarm Eco Lodge is located about 20 minutes from the center of the Old City. The resort consists of a small group of bungalows hosted by Petchara and Panom. They keep the resort low key and peaceful and do not seem to have any interest in changing it into a large overcrowded enterprise. The grounds are beautifully landscaped with fruit trees, palms and other tropical plants. There’s even a hanging orchid area. As another reviewer pointed out this place is truly “green”. There’s no “green washing” going on here.
I was at Ban Rai Tin Thai Ngarm Eco Lodge in the offseason and was lucky enough to be the only guest for my 6 day stay. Though honestly, because there are only 5 bungalows the resort would retain it’s small and intimate feeling even at full capacity. Although the resort is secluded it is only a short bike ride to local shops and ten to fifteen minutes to the center of the village. (They rent good quality bikes for a very reasonable rate.) There’s also a wonderful coffee shop called “The Sala” that is located in a stunning jungle setting about 10 minutes away.
There is a very large reservoir behind the bungalows where you can swim. This was greatly appreciated after my long hot bike rides.
The room I had was spacious and spotless. As far as I could tell the buildings are very new. I doubt they are more then 2 years old. The owners have been very careful in keeping everything in top shape. I never experienced a power outage, always had hot water and the wifi was strong the whole time.
One of the best parts of my stay was the food. Always cooked fresh by Petchara using fresh local vegetables and other ingredients. I’ve been to Chiang Mai about 15 times and this was the best home cooked food I have ever experienced. It was absolutely wonderful. The last day of my stay I was invited to join a Thai cooking class that Petchare had arranged for a group of American high school kids she was teaching English to. They also have an espresso machine to whip you up a delicious cup of their gourmet Thai coffee.
At Ban Rai Tin Thai Ngarm Eco Lodge you will sleep with the sounds of the jungle. The crickets and frogs will serenade you to sleep and you will wake up with the sounds of birds singing!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank Tobypow
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I had heard about this lovely EcoLodge from an acquaintance (it is new so not yet in the guide books) and I am SO GLAD I decided to try it out! In the countryside in Chiang Mai province, yet close to the city, it was the perfect transition for me from a meditation retreat back to "real life." Besides the beauty, cleanliness, nature, the quiet setting, and the yummy breakfasts and dinners - not to mention the good energy - what really makes it great are the hosts Panom and Petchara. Even with a full house, we all had our hosts' personal attention (it is a small place, but still, how did they do that?). In addition to running the EcoLodge, they have a tour service, teach Thai to English-speakers, and sell gourmet Thai coffee. Their business office and cafe (see www.chiangmai-adventure-tour.com) in the center of Chiang Mai gave me a comfortable home base as I visited temples and the Chiang Mai City Art and Cultural Center. They provide free transportation to and from the airport or train station, and Panom drove me back and forth to Chiang Mai for only a few dollars a trip, told me how to get public transportation in case he was not available, and even provided a hand-drawn map for exploring the neighborhood (I walked to a nearby temple). Petchara is an excellent cook and offered homemade Thai dinners and Thai breakfast or Western breakfast with a Thai twist, including abundant fruit (mmm, dragonfruit!) and the best pancakes (made with a lot of fresh banana) I have ever eaten. Of course the coffee is excellent - the perfect gift for my hard-to-buy-for husband! As you can tell I highly recommend Ban Rai Tin Thai Ngarm EcoLodge and will definitely go there again if I ever get back to Chiang Mai. I hope I do!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank 123xyz_11
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I have to agree with all of the other reviewer's positive comments of the lodging here. The hosts are absolutely charming, attentive and filled with interesting and invaluable knowledge about the area. We really enjoyed getting to spend time with people like this in such a beautiful place. The bungalows are very clean and spacious and the entire property is full of well cared for plant life. The lodging seems to be located a bit far for regular visits to Chiang Mai, but it is easy to arrange for car rental or for a bike to explore the surrounding rural village. We had great fun on a day trip we booked upon arrival at the office, trekking the jungle by elephant, mountain biking upriver and whitewater rafting back down, all in one day. We also recommend a trip to Doi Inthanon to visit Waterfalls, the Karen Village and Hmong village at the King's Project. Panom's immeasurable knowledge makes him a fantastic and enjoyable tour guide who can cater to your interests. Fair prices for everything , and VERY GOOD home cooked meals each day. If you are looking to get away from the crowds, hustle and bustle and experience something closer to peaceful exploration of life just outside a great Thai city, this is your place!

Room Tip: all are immaculate
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hotchocc66
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Located in a green compound surrounded by tropical woods at 18 km from Chaing Mai, this oasis of calm is ideal to either recover from Chiang Mai shopping hustle and bustle, or as a jumping board to the many attractions within a few kilometers. Several bicycles and MTBs are available for the guest, adding further to the leisurely stay. The bungalows are hyper clean, spacious, equipped with very good beds and mattresses, mosquito windows all around, a large combined Thai shower-toilet, and have a large veranda in front and small balcony in the back. Breakfast and dinner are home-cooked (and good!) and enjoyed on the open-sided covered common building. The excellent English-speaking hosts are very welcoming and you feel part of something, not just a 'client'. If it is green calm in a relaxing atmosphere you look for, this is it. I recovered from an arduous jungle trek here, with all windows open, listening to the jungle sounds floating in, and sleeping like a baby.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo