“Must avoid...avoid avoid avoid...disappointing”

Maetaman Elephant Camp
Ranked #10 of 41 things to do in Mae Rim
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked my elephant camp tour with my guesthouse and through Journey CNX Tours and I wasn't aware that I would end up visiting Maetaman Elephant Camp where I wouldn't have gone after reading such terrible reviews here. This place is actually like a circus where these animals are forced to do such stunts just for extracting some tips. As it is been already reviewed so many times in the past about chained elephants, tips and rude staffs etc lets talk about something else.
The trip that costs me THB1200 / US$40(which is a lot in Thailand) started around 8.30 with a 30 minutes bamboo rafting which was really enjoyable watching elephants taking bath in the river and rafting through the river amid green jungles was fun. Then we came and watched the Elephant show which was like pushing those elephants too much to perform so that everyone tips.
Then we had lunch - A lunch where food is included with the package but drinking water is chargeable extra at 30THB / US$1 a bottle of 600 ml which is sold at the market for 5THB. This was ridiculous.
Then there was the 15 minutes ox cart ride and 15 minutes Elephant ride for which we had to wait about an hour each as there were more visitors and less Elephants.

My whole visit was quite disappointing and I would not suggest anyone visiting such Elephant camps.

There are newer reviews for Maetaman Elephant Camp

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We enjoyed every minute of our visit to Maetaman Elephant Camp. Our mahout was very, very accommodating, stopping several times along our ride to get off our elephant and take pictures of us on our ride. We saw NO signs of the elephants being mistreated and our only regret of the day was that we did not purchase an elephant painting.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our only noteworthy experience was being insulted by a pair of mahouts for not tipping them.
My son and his wife, on one elephant, and my wife and I on another were dismounting from our ride when one mahout, talking to the other, referred to the four of us as "cheap Australians" for not tipping. The other mahout agreed with the first one. It was apparent that they assumed that none of us spoke Thai.
On previous visits to Maetaman Elephant Camp there were never overt solicitations for tips. On this occassion it seemed as if every time you turned around you were expected to tip, I am a notoriously big tipper and often tip to extremes, but no one provided any service deserving of a tip, nor were we deserving of insults. I'll not be returning to Maetaman Elephant Camp nor will I recommend it to others. I prefer to tip freely for good service and not be made to feel compelled to do so when it is not deserved.
The elephants had better manners than the mahouts.

2  Thank Cockatoo25
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The other negative reviews here have said everything I wanted to say. The elephants are treated poorly, they are made to perform circus tricks, paint and play soccer, chained with 2 metre chains where they stand swaying side to side. We came here with our airport taxi driver and after 10 minutes we asked to leave. The hoards of tourists applauding as the group of elephants were made to trumpet in unison was the final straw.

4  Thank ludicrousgib
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We greatly enjoyed the elephant show. It was really funny. The location of the camp is beautiful, too. By a river, with lots of trees. Camp also has several cafés and bars. We did not try elephant riding so cannot comment on that.