I stayed here with my wife end of October for 4-5 nights and generally its pretty good, nice, remote and far from anywhere.
We stayed in one of the cute bungalows as your driving into the hotel, it was tidy and smart though for some reason on the last two nights there was a matress outside our window?? Also with the bathroom press that toilet lever ever so gently or it will break it broke twice during our stay.
The rooms are sparse but adequate and to be honest the amount of time spent in the rooms wasn't much so it more than did its job.
The restaurant where we ate most mornings was really good, I ordered curry of some sort for breakfast and can say that the Masaman curry here was easily the best I have had. The service is a bit slack and you can be kept waiting around especially in the evening when there are more than 5 tables occupied. A young lady called Pim is really helpful and speaks the best English which is very useful when trying to negotiate the poorly written menu i.e. vegetarian dishes etc.
The grounds around the hotel are nice, there is a warning however to be aware of the long grass and snakes.
There are loads of activities and things to do close nearby, which is the main factor in choosing this hotel, so you have the following :-
1. Tiger Kingdom (Where all the tigers look drugged - except the small to small-medium ones)
2. Three famous temples (it will be in front desk book on excursions)
3. Maesa Elephant Camp (Tip. Go on an elephant ride first then go and watch the show as the
queue afterwards in the early afternoon sun will melt you)
4. Night time Safari (Tip. Go for the last show of the evening when the little kids are all gone)
5. Night Market (Tip. Buy your souvenirs here they are 20-30% cheaper than Bangkok and the
bargaining is better here - Bangkok is too busy and bustling)
Do NOT use the driver called Chai, he has a small brownish/burgundy car, short guy mole on
his right cheek late 50s. The man is rude and tried to get me and my wife to commit to going on elephant treks which were far far away (half-day) instead of the local one. He also tried to badger us into eating at this rubbish restaurant at the Night Safari. His number is +66 8 1387 1209 and +66 8 2761 8468 with his email being 'Chairroadmaerim@gmail.com'. If you get him by chance be firm and rude with simple YES and NO.
Always ask Ton as your driver, he is helpful, friendly and will go the distance. For instance
when we went to the night market he came along with us, ensured we didn't have any
problems. Bought us some rotis from the vendor outside Seven Eleven who appears
in the evenings (they taste good and you wont get any tummy issues as they are cooked
fresh and piping hot)
Avoid the local Monkey place, we met quite a few people and they said it was really bad and that they didn't treat the animals right.
Ask your driver to stop off at the Seven Eleven convenience shop which is 2 mins drive outside the hotel for top-up on water (you will need more than the complementary amount)
Take a mini-torch with you as some areas are poorly lit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is a relaxing, boutique, garden resort situated in the beautiful and tranquil Maerim Valley, a 30 minute drive from Chiang Mai International Airport and in the centre of the wide range of Chiang Mai's attractions. Offering a full range of recreational activities the facilities include two swimming pools, a beautiful Thai spa, a fitness centre, a sauna, and a lakeside relaxation sala with library These facilities are surrounded by the finest relaxation environment and nature. The resort features 47 understated rooms & villas in huge sub-tropical surroundings with approximately 1,000 trees, an impressive lake, 3 fishponds and many garden areas with relaxing garden salas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Away Suansawan Centara Boutique Collection Hotel Mae Rim
- Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai Chiang Mai Province, Thailand