“Away to The Heaven.”

Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Mae Rim
Reviewed June 7, 2013

was the one of very nice trip of mine, the place so peace and calm , was there on November and we did Yee Peng for Loy kratong Festival, such very great night I really love it, had so much fun with the groups and my kid there ... even just stayed only 1 night but hope someday will get a chance to visit there again. miss you..Away Saunsawan

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you so much for your review, we really do appreciate it. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We had a great time in this hotel. We enjoyed our time here. The area is central to many attractions. And it was easy to plan trips from here because everything (accept the city) was very near. The staff was professional and very friendly. The resort is beautiful and the hotel rooms are spacious. The food was delicious also for vegetarians made ​​the cook delicious things. We went one day to Chiang May and it was 600 Baht with taxi.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Amsterdam1211
Peter B, Manager at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We spent 6 nights in the resort and we felt like living in the beautiful botanical garden. We had a lot of fun in the swimming pools, sauna, fitness club, swan-like boats, bicycles, playground, watching DVDs selected from a nice hotel collection and walking around the park. We admired the mountain views, feeling so happy and relaxed. The hotel staff was most helpful in advising us on the places to see, giving us driving directions and helping us when we had to book an emergency dental appointment (BTW seeing a dentist in Chiang Mai is a great idea; we have never paid less for a dental treatment before!). We will be back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Peter B, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We all enjoyed having you stay with us and it is so good to hear that you enjoyed it so much. Thank you for choosing Away Suansawan Chiang Mai.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here as part of a vacation package, and we were very happy with the choice. Yes, you are away from the central part of Chiang Mai, but it was an easy taxi ride into town. We had a family villa with 2 rooms, separated by doors, which was very nice. We had no problems with ants or other bugs! We were very happy with the cleaniness of the rooms, only complaint being that the sink in our room was 'wobbly' (room 11B). The staff was very friendly, and very helpful arranging transportation for our party of 7 people. Our friends had pool side cabana (room 6) so it was nice to hang out under covered patio and go right into pool. The prices in the restaurant were reasonable, and we did not have any lengthy time issues. There was not a lot of people at this time of year, so we felt very well taken care of ~ I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to relax.

Room Tip: Family style villas were nice if you have children. Room by the pool is good if you want to be able...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that the staff looked after you. I will ensure the wobbly sink is repaired. We hope to see you back sometime

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I chose this resort because I was looking for a stress relief break from coping with the tourist choked coastal area, where as a retired Ex-Pat I live several hours from Bangkok. After several days of letting the serene beauty of the very large "Away Resort" grounds sink into me, I found myself taking involuntary deep breaths and letting them and the stress drain out , and I knew I had made a wise choice. It's main advantages for me were its total seclusion, absolute quietness and separation from other guests because the villas are spread all around the 11 acres. I found the grounds very beautiful, especially the over 1,000 trees surrounding a large lake, which give great shade to the villas.

I ate most of my meals on the large outdoor dining deck, where the beautiful outlook ensured I continued relaxing during meals , and I found it a great place to read, chat to other guests , or use my laptop, as there is Wi-Fi over the whole site.
The resort has all the features that I expected in a resort, including 2 well maintained swimming pools, gym, spa, pool table and library with the lake as the focal point for the well laid out site.
It was obvious to me that the resort is ideal for tourists visiting Northern Thailand, because it is located within 2 to 5 kms of most of the Cheng Mai tourist attractions - which include pretty much every Thailand highlight they would want to see, including monkeys, tigers, snakes, birds, elephants, orchids, waterfalls etc. For the teenagers and adventurous adults there is pretty much every exciting activity they need to get totally exhausted and scare themselves silly, including off road buggies, bungy jumping, trail bikes, rolling down a hillside inside a big ball , go-carting etc.

I found the food good from the fairly large menu which has a wide selection of Thai food, and considering that it is a resort, the prices are reasonable. What was really outstanding was the Serving staff - so wonderfully graciously Thai - unobtrusive and never got an order wrong, and the room service staff did a great job on my room as well.

Yes there are insects around, but one has to understand that this is part of living in tropical Thailand, and take care to close the door and windows before dusk.

So - yes I would recommend this resort for either someone like me looking for a stress relief break, or for tourists to Northern Thailand, who after their sightseeing here, can then conveniently move on further North to Chiang Rai and up to the Laos border or around to lovely Pai and Mae Hong Son.

Room Tip: There are 5 rooms right on the lake, called "Lakeside Villas", which have the front balcon...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Raymond N
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you in the tranquil Maerim Valley again

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I would give 2.5 stars if I could. Mainly because the overall friendliness of the staff was wonderful.

We booked a Family-Vacation-Villa which was actually just 2 adjoining rooms (more or less) for 3 nights. The 2 villa rooms were separated by doors requiring different room keys. We stayed in rooms 15 & 16. Room 15 was the room with the ‘Jacuzzi’ which was rusted and unsanitary looking. While I am sure some would have been fine with using it, I was not interested in taking that risk. There were also cob webs surrounding the ceiling near the toilet room and rusted bathroom sink. My BIG ISSUE was the amount of ANTS seeping through the ceiling and surrounding the air conditioner in room 15. They would fall to their death and land in piles on the floor near the bed. We had housekeeping come clean up the mess daily but they never attempted to even switch rooms for us. BY DAY 3 THERE WERE DEAD ANTS ON THE BED WHEN WE WOKE UP. They were all over the room and bathroom by that point. We were happy to be checking out that day.

Other areas needing improvement – 1) on 2 different occasions we waited 2 hours before our food was served at dinner 2) booking a tour or excursion through the hotel is pointless – you may or may not be confirmed. We ran into this issue as we thought we booked an elephant trek through them only to find out they said the company was booked for the entire day. We found this out 1 hour before we were supposed to be picked up. However, we confirmed booking with their concierge the night before. The worst part about that was asking them to make a second call and then finding out that the company WAS ABLE to fit 3 of us in for that day. 3) Gym facility needs serious improvement. The only thing that works is the treadmill and the equipment is filthy.

PROS – 1) the property is very quaint and serine 2) the landscape is beautiful and provides an awesome sunset from both of their pools 3) the staff in the restaurant and staff used for transportation are delightful 4) The massage therapist is GREAT 5) Location is perfect and close to waterfalls, monkey farm, elephant show and trek, and tiger kingdom!

My suggestion: book Four Seasons up the road if you are looking for something in that area even 4 star.

Room Tip: Proceed with caution...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marriedtothewater
bluweyze, Owner at Suansawan Resort Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

The rooms that you occupied are not family rooms. Your booking asked for 2 king beds and my staff gave you 2 adjoining rooms with this set-up. They would have been more advised to discuss your requirements upon check-in and I apologise for that as well as the instances of ants in your room. Our fitness room had all of the batteries stolen from the equipment computers but once they were replaced immediately upon finding out,everything worked. I wish you had informed us so that we could have put things right for you

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I organized a workshop in this hotel last month with 25 participants for a week. You can imagine how much benefit I bring to this hotel. However they seemed don't consider it is important to serve us well. At first, I was quite happy with the great price they offered. However, now I regret of my decision of going cheap which i finally got a cheap service too. I have so many complaints that will not be enough to put here, but the worst one was that they forgot to serve the coffee break for my participants on the 3rd day of the workshop and no apologize at all. I cannot believe Hotel at the level of Centara can do such mistake.... Embarrassing....Really a big disappointing for me. Never again stay at this hotel, either for my professional work or personal

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Normally I for errors but the facts in this review are incorrect.The break was delivered slightly late, one break in all of the catering delivered to this group. My manager talked to the group leader at check-out and there was no complaint at all about this break or anything else, so I simply don't understand this terrible review. Reviews should be balanced, this one is far from that