“Drugged tigers to please ignorant tourists.”

Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai
Ranked #13 of 44 things to do in Mae Rim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai is a once in a lifetime experience where you can meet, play, and have your photo taken with tigers! Can you make friends with one of our cubs? Or are you brave enough to approach one of our giant tigers? If so, great! We can't wait to welcome you inside! If not, don't worry, you can come and watch the tigers as you kick back with some food and drink from our top quality restaurant. Either way, you are sure to have a very memorable experience! Open daily including public holidays from 8am to 6pm (last admission at 5:30pm).
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I never understood why tourists ignore the fact that these poor animals are held captive and are being drugged all day. Only for the benefit of the owners of this questionable institution. And to make it possible that a tourist can show a picture at home, posing with a cute (baby) tiger. Really disgusting!!!!

7  Thank Kornelis d
Write a ReviewReviews (4,239)
All reviews
in 1,058 reviews
in 432 reviews
in 313 reviews

Reviewed February 27, 2013

You can choose which age group of tigers you want to interact with (big, medium, small, or smallest); we chose small (which is actually quite big - about the size of an adult lab). The trainers seemed to have a good relationship with the tigers and were very easygoing. The tigers were able to roam freely within the cages and visitors were able to interact really closely with the tigers.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I don't know how I'd feel about the other negative reviews I read about Tiger Kingdom. We all are entitled to our own opinion and we have the right to speak what we think. So that's what I'll do.

When I saw their website, I instantly told myself that I need to go here even if we are only staying in Thailand for 3 days. I am aware of what other people thought about this place. I did my research. I am not in the position to educate the readers of this review but I just need to tell what I learned.

Some people say that the tigers in Tiger Kingdom are drugged, sedated or abused. While Tiger Kingdom says that tigers are almost nocturnal and sleeps most of the day. Plus the tigers they keep are only those that were born and raised in their conservatory. I am a hardcore animal lover, in fact I have 8 dogs at home. I didn't close my door about the idea that any wild animal can be tame especially if they were born and raised with humans. I have watched lots of documentaries where the what we know ferocious animals are acting like pets because of how their keepers took care of them and loved them.

I have also read about a study where they say that tigers are more becoming nocturnal animals because of the presence of humans. They tend to hunt at night and just sleep during the day. I thought maybe this is what Tiger Kingdom is talking about. So I didn't believe that the tigers were drugged.

We visited the place before lunch. The place was great, it was big and I can see that the tigers are in great condition. Big space to roam around, clean and their needs being cared for.

They have a section for cubs (small tigers 2 to 3 months old). Imagine these creatures spending a lot of time with humans as early as this age.. and growing up experiencing the same thing everyday.. it is not impossible that these animals developed a behavior to interact nicely with humans and their wild instinct has not developed because they don't need to.. I mean, they can eat and be fed without needing to hunt.. for me, that makes sense..

Being able to be up-close and personal with these animals was glorious! The cubs were so cute and adorable... They were very strict with the cleanliness on this section. We need to change our footwear, wash our hands very well, leave our things outside before we can enter.

The younger tigers (4 to 8 months) were very active, playing with each other like how dogs play. They weren't sleeping as much as the cubs do. They were pretty much busy having fun with each other.. We didn't go inside their cage though because we prefer to be with the big cats.

We went inside the medium tigers (9 to 12 months), they don't look like mediums though. :) I was very thrilled and ecstatic. I super enjoyed every second I was inside their cage. I was still cautious of course but my amazement has overcome my super slight anxiety. The keepers were very friendly, they guided us all through our interaction with the tigers. The experience was AWESOME!

I enjoyed our visit at Tiger Kingdom. If my family and friends are going to Thailand, I will definitely encourage them to visit this place.

1  Thank mlacsamana
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Tiger Kingdom has very friendly staff and the animals are very well trained. We went into the enclosure with the youngest tigers and the prices weren't too bad (you can look them up on their website). I would recommend going in with the youngest as although some of them are rather sleepy, you can rub their tummies lay with them and feel very comfortable. Those visiting the older tigers seemed to just stand near them, try to get in a photo with them, less of a hands on experience and more of a photo opportunity.
We enjoyed our day as the tiger cubs were very cute and you could walk around the park and see all the other tigers.