“Glad we went”

Ranked #7 of 44 things to do in Mae Rim
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend just went today, after debating all night over if we should go or not. We were worried about giving money to people who abuse animals. After reading almost every review on here, the good and the bad, we decided we needed to go see it for ourselves and then decide.

We got there early, about 9:30, and after looking around we decided to go in.

Let me say this about there quality of care, there is no way they drug the tigers and the trainers treated the tigers well. The little tigers were very active and playful. Most of bigger tiger were lazy, and sleeping, but a few of the more curious ones were also very active. But we went on a cool morning, so I can see how if someone went in the hot afternoon they might get the impression the tigers are drugged.

I believe that tiger kingdom cares for the animals the best that they can. That being said, they are still huge animals living in cages. In the end I think this place is very similar too a zoo, so if you have issues with zoos, don't go.

2  Thank Stodds73
Write a ReviewReviews (4,179)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Tiger Kingdom is about money, and the perfect photograph.

I am not an animal rights activist, but love dogs and cats so I am an 'animal person'.

I read a lot of reviews before visiting this place with my family in early January 2013. I went with an open mind, and with the numerous positive Tripadvisor reviews as a guide; "how can so many people be wrong" I thought. Well they are. This is a terrible place hiding behind seemingly well treated Tigers, a restaurant and the desire of us ordinary people to be close to the extraordinary.

I walked in with my wife (who is not normally vocal on this sort of thing) and 6&8 year old daughters. My wife was reluctant but I insisted we go in and make an informed decision. As she queued to pay I could see three fully grown Tigers inside the facility. I watched staff place tourists in poses with the very docile Tigers so their companions could get the 'perfect' photo. But then I saw the staff member use a stick with leaves tied to the end 'flick' the Tiger in the face to make it raise its head and bare its teeth, again for the perfect photo. I immediately asked my wife not to buy me a ticket but take the girls in only to see the baby Tigers (visitors can see Very small/small/medium/large Tigers, paying separately for each). She was reluctant, but as we were there I wanted the girls to see the 'babies'.

While I waited for them I watched the three Tigers, and the visitors milling around the entrance, four things struck me; 1. The tigers must be drugged, 2. the place must be a 'puppy farm', producing enough cubs so there are always four categories of tiger to see, 3. There is absolutely no educational element to the facility (there were some small posters on a wall but no one was looking at them).Visitors were there for a cuddle and a photo, nothing more. Was everyone brainwashed? I felt like shouting "STOP, don't you see what is going on here", but knew that most people would shrug and opt for the photo opportunity.

Finally, I am asking Trip Advisor to adopt a policy on animal (and human if/where appropriate) based attractions. That they post a banner simply informing page viewers that there are different types of animal attraction; Wild/Natural, Captive/caged, Show/performance based, or some such classifications. This may help us uninformed viewers better understand such attractions before we decide to visit. It would only provide information, not recommendations.

16  Thank djgos1
Reviewed January 12, 2013

First things first majority of people that visit obviously love animals, I was a big sceptic of the 'there drugged senario' but i have to say that there was no way these beautiful creatures were drugged in any way. There eyes was so inquisitive and aware of what was around. The smallest (so cute by the way) were energetic and lively so much fun, we also hired a photographer, 75 pics, some great ones too!!
I understand that some reviewers are aggrieved with this place and you really shouldn't go if you are so against animals in captivity. On the other hand these tigers are bread and brought up in captivity just like we buy puppies and keep our dogs for years in our houses,we walk them and love them! I got the impression the trainers/handlers love these tigers and they are well looked after.. but make your own mind up!!
Recommend a visit if you want to see these beautiful creatures up close.

1  Thank chrisdonnelly77
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I had mixed feelings about this place. I was not 100% keen on going because of some of the reviews on this site but I went along with my friend as she really wanted to see them and her parents had both been and said it was a great experience.

We were lucky and got a really good tuktuk driver who took us on a round trip (highly recommend doing this as the tuktuks and red taxis that are there will be waiting for other customers) which was 400 baht (12 AUD) which we though was perfect for the length of travel (about 25-30mins from the town centre).

There are 5 options to choose from. You chose your ticket and then pay and wait.

We bought the 3 tiger ticket and saw the medium small and smallest tigers. If you dont want many people around you i suggest this type of ticket. The big tigers seem to be over the whole routine and there are MANY people waiting to see these guys. Whereas the medium we had all three togers to ourselves which was great! Many reviewers have said that the tigers were sleeping all the time, so the cares would try and wake them up. This did occur a couple of times with the smaller tigers and the big tigers, not so much with the medium as I said it was fine if they were sleeping.

There reviews have been mixed I have found re: wait time to entre the centre and enter the tigers cage. We waited less than 10mins to enter the centre and because of the ticket we chose we went straight into the medium cage. The longest wait would have been 10mins to get into the small cubs cage.

I am a massive animal lover and hate animals being in cages not being able to get out. There are a couple of these around the centre to which I found disturbing. There is little education provided and nil info re medical care so it makes me wonder how well looked after are they? Some of the carers were really good with the tigers and some weren't. We were lucky with 2 of our carers however the carer in the smallest section pulled the cub by it's legs to make it easier for a photo!! I was upset by this and told him to stop which he did. There are signs around the centre saying if you see carers presenting abusive behavior you can report them.

Im still dealing with my conscious 2 hours after leaving as I feel it was a go in get a few pictures and leave. I'm not sure how well looked after the tigers are when tourists are not there. It was a good experience and I'm glad I went but for me personally I will probably wonder what I actually paid for, for a good couple of days.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Tiger Kingdom left us with mixed feelings. On one hand it was a great opportunity to be so close to this magnificent animal. On the other, this place is very commercial, the lines are long, the educational part is lacking and it felt a bit industrial. Until now we can’t help but wonder how well those tigers are cared for and if they are medicated. From reading the reviews and being there it seems that there is some vagueness surrounding those questions and some objective answers could help

1  Thank KON1