“Excellent hotel in every way”
Review of Prested Hall Hotel

Prested Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Feering
“Excellent hotel in every way”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from prested hall hotel and the service couldn't have been higher. I would recommend everyone to stay, using the spa facilities next door!! Excellent in every way. Feel so refreshed!! Can't wait to visit again. It's right on my doorstep but you feel a million miles away from every where!!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
East Grinstead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I telephoned and booked afternoon tea for two as an early Mothers' Day present for my Mum this week. I was slightly surprised when I was asked to pay a £5 deposit, more so when it became apparent that this had actually been a £5/person deposit which was not explained, but no big deal. As afternoon tea is £10.95/person anyway, couldn't help thinking I might have well just have paid in full and not had to worry about sidling off to pay on the day without Mum noticing. I'd never booked afternoon tea at a hotel before so wasn't aware of whether £10.95 was good value or not but I can safely say that having looked at other nearby places since it seems very reasonable. We certainly got good value for money.

As we arrived I was slightly disappointed at the look of the 'Hall', not quite as grand as I expected, very pot-holey road and some kind of warehouse thing to one side but hey, we came to sit inside not look at the outside. Upon entering through the main door, you have to walk quite a way in to find the reception desk, which was not well signed but we found it quite quickly. There was some kind of work going on which meant stepping around/over some light fittings or something on the floor which struck as a little odd.

We were warmly welcomed and shown to a lovely table, beautifully laid with china and oversized for two which gave plenty of room. The room was very elegant with light wood beams and grand fire place. It did not have a window to the outside, rather overlooking another room (the main dining room maybe?) which was being set up, presumably for a function. This resulted in quite a lot of crashing and banging of tables etc. which was somewhat disturbing but not overly intrusive. We were asked what tea we would like and two large pots arrived (we both asked for different teas) very quickly, accompanied by a beautiful array of fresh sandwiches, scones and cakes. I had expressed a dislike for mustard on the telephone and arranged for mustard to be served on the side rather than in the ham sandwiches. The mustard never arrived but nor was it in the sandwiches so that was ok although Mum might have liked some. The range of sandwiches and cakes was truly impressive and far too much for us to manage but not to worry, the waiter was happy to box up the remaining cakes for us to take home.

The waiter attention was sparse. Most of the time the three couples dining were left alone in the room which gave a lovely relaxed feel, no rush. Had we needed a waiter, we may have had to wait some time but as it was we had everything we needed.

In short, this was a very pleasurable afternoon but not perfect. The price was very good, as was the food. Knowing that we could take home what we didn't eat helped us to avoid that uncomfortable over-full feeling and the relaxed atmosphere allowed us to make a true afternoon of it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I have recently had a brilliant Spa day at Prested Hall. I joined my friend to have a swim and sauna. We had a beautiful 2 course lunch after relaxing in the pool area. The rest of the day was spent relaxing before each of us having our two sessions of therapies, which were absolutely exellent.

Going to Prested Hall is so pleasureable, the atmosphere is relaxing, the staff are extremely pleasant and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble, I have just booked my daughter-in-law in for a relaxing day during the Easter Holidays. Prested Hall is becoming a regular feature in our diaries. Excellent value for money. Would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was lucky enough that my husband had arranged for a one night stay at Prested hall as a surprise for Valentines on the weekend after Valentines day itself. The stay was to also include one spa treatment. When we arrived I was slightly disappointed to find what is a pretty building painted a light shade of grey. However determined not to let this put me off we attempted to check in. However our room was not ready, as we had arrived early for our 11 o'clock full body massage. No problem off we went to the spa area which was in a separate building a short walk away. The building looked nice from the outside, however was very tired looking and in dire need of updating inside. Also pamper day guests were left to mingle with the local gym members, which kind of detracted from the specialness of the day, I.e as we sat down to lunch in the Bistro restaurant - which was very nice - the view was that of the indoor racket ball court on one side and the windows on the other side of the restaurant had the blinds closed. Still the massage my husband and I had was excellent. I had a facial later in the day and that too was excellent. My only complaints here are about the treatment room themselves - the lights were left fully on.... Not very relaxing, I'm not sure if they were dimmable or not. And the music was being played on a rather old CD player rather than being piped in, which meant the CD was a bit jumpy and very clunky when the CD spun back to the beginning. The pool area was very average and the lounge/relaxing area quite unwelcoming, with assorted pool floats and accessories all piled up in one corner. The steam room had an unpleasant smell to it and my husband was unable to use the sauna as when he walked into the sauna the floor was so hot he couldn't walk on it. As there were no duckboards or the such like to enable protection from the hot floor.

When we got to our room it was very bright and airy. If I remember rightly it was a superior room. The tea and coffee making facilities were very good and the bed was very large and very comfortable. However the TV (freeview) was tiny for a room of the size we had a bigger tv would have been much more appropriate. The toilet was separate from the bathroom and had no sink in it. A real negative! There was definitely room for a small sink to be installed, which would be much more hygienic. The bathroom was basic, but in working order. The sink taps were exceptionally stiff and difficult to turn off fully which made things painful on the hand due to the design of the tap.

Later that evening we had dinner booked for 20:15. We eventually got seated at 21:10. Both of us were very hungry and starting to get a little angry with the poor service. At some point our orders were taken whilst we were waiting and when our starters were ready we got seated at our table. The starter was ok, but the main course was very disappointing. My husband had fillet steak. He asked for rare and got well done. He sent it back - when we eventually saw a waiter - and then when the steak returned it was medium at best. Very disappointing. However as I had almost finished my meal by the time his second meal arrived he ate it anyway. The accompanying vegetables in some sort of gravy were also disappointing - burnt and soggy. Also seeing as I ordered chicken with mozzarella and spinach and my husband ordered steak with roasted veg and a red wine jus I'm not sure how the exact same burnt veg in tasteless gravy can be served with a beef dish and a chicken dish. Dessert again was ok. The service was very poor and very slow, and it wasn't that busy either.

The next morning we had breakfast in the dinning room again. A full English for both of us and again we were very disappointed with the quality of the food. That is it was cheap catering bacon, chewy hard baked beans and the scrambled egg had the consistency of powdered egg that had been reconstituted. It had been sitting for an absolute age in their hot plates. It most definitely was not cooked to order as almost everything had shrivelled up, and the bacon was as hard as rubber. However there was a selection of cereals and pastries available which looked quite nice though I didn't try any of them.

So all in all I and my husband were very disappointed with Prested hall and until they have had a serious refurb we will not be returning, which is a shame as it is fairly local to us. I don't normally write reviews but was astonished to see Prested Hall's 4.5 rating and felt that I needed to put our stay on Tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Don't have a room near the top of the stairs in main reception as the smell of cooking bacon at...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M0use12
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had our wedding here on 5th January 2013. It was a fantastic environment for a wedding - even though it was cold outside. The day was better than we could have ever imagined. Our wedding co-ordinator (Jill) made things go extremely smoothly, letting us know when we needed to be here or there and what was going on.The food was delicious - although we chose a single menu for everyone - it felt so much more than that. Nobody could fault the service or the food.
As we booked the venue before any rooms had gone we had exclusive use of the building which made it more special.
The rooms are all different in layout, which adds to the flavour of the place. Lovely beds and big chunky bedding that you can get lost in, together with tea & coffee facilities and bottled water.
There is a spa in the other building which we could have used but didn't really have the time (I was a bit busy!) so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it's top notch like the rest of it.
The next morning breakfast was just as lovely as the meal previous. The hot food eggs, sausages, bacon etc. were constantly topped up, and a range of cereals, pastries etc. with tea & coffee on tap! It was clear nobody wanted to leave to the point that housekeeping began when we were still all talking - our fault not theirs!! We just wanted to repeat the day before.
All in all I can thoroughly recommend Prested Hall for a wedding.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike7692
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great food, people, accomodation and spa treatments. We are a diverse mix of people and everyone felt pampered, comfortable and welcomed - we will return!!! The nicest thing was, and we all work in and have stayed in the very best hotels, we all felt so comfortable and cossetted without any pretentious staff hovering around. So often we feel we have to sit up straight and behave (difficult for most of us!), but at Prested Hall, we were able to truly relax.

Sue Barnes
Lavender Green

Room Tip: Room 1 is wonderful but all others i saw were lovely
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Harwich, UK
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just returned from an overnight stay and Pamper Spa Day - Belated Xmas treat. Treatments at Spa were excellent as were the staff and Lunch included. Nice pool, but sun lounge relaxing area was lacking - tired and untidy. Also a bit humid for relaxing/reading inbetween treatments/swim for any length of time, and not really anywhere else suitable to flop. Hotel lovely, beautiful reception & dining rooms; attentive,competent staff are a credit to this hotel. Evening meal superbly cooked/presented and good choice on menu. Twin room a little small for the price, but made up for by the extra comfy beds/duvets & plenty of different hot drinks + bottled water + bics. Particularly liked the fresh flowers everywhere u looked and coffee caftiere in the bedroom as well as the dining room. (I've travelled a fair bit and never had that before.)

Room Tip: Small twin room, so if possible maybe try the doubles.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Feering
Wivenhoe House
Holiday Inn Colchester
Holiday Inn Colchester
#1 of 1 in Eight Ash Green
Greenwoods Hotel & Spa

Been to Prested Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!