“Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Arte Cafe

Arte Cafe
Ranked #10 of 45 Restaurants in Elviria
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Elviria, Spain
“Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Really lovely and friendly great breakfast good value
Nice place to just relax and read the paper
Not much more to say

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mary C

Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
“Latest Experience Did Not Live Up to Past Expactations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I revisited the Arte Café on 7 February 2014 and after singing its praises in my last review (based on 3 previous visits) it is very disappointing to have to report that at best this experience failed to live up to expectations.

In my last review I said that I had “not experienced any of the service issues referred to by other reviewers”; unfortunately that is no longer the case.

On arrival for my reservation at 9.00 pm there were 17 other dinners (almost capacity) and it was obvious that the chef and two waitresses were having difficulty coping. It took 35 minutes to get my first course, the goat’s cheese, and that after I had to ask for the menu when I had been sitting for 10 minutes and had only been asked if I wanted a drink. (I have always found that the attitude of one of the regular waitresses is somewhat off-hand, bordering on supercilious; although I don't think she means it, some training in how to avoid giving that impression, wouldn't go amiss.) The chef either didn't want or physically couldn't make my starter before he had finished all the main courses for the party of six or nine at one of the other tables.

The peach slices on the goat’s cheese were burned and the bacon was beyond burned to a crisp. The goat’s cheese was so hot that, unbelievably, my tongue got burned. My comment about that was ignored.

I overheard the chef say “We got through it” and there’s only “him” left. As I was less than 5 feet away, it would have been nice to have been referred to by name or at least as a guest or customer.

My tongue got burned again by the chips with the Argentinean steak. When I so stated in response to the waitress’ question, her response was that “the food NEEDS to be hot”, which was a ridiculous answer. I retorted that I expected it to be hot but I did not expect to be burned by it. The chef (not the young lady in my previous picture) apologised. I didn't get any vegetables; only the same again salad as with the starter.

The other waitress seemed to be distracted by a person who turned up with some supplies and who received at least as much attention if not more than any of the customers.

In such a small restaurant, timing and organisation is the key to consistent quality; bad timing and poor organisation, of course, have the opposite effect. If you cannot cook more than two or three meals at a time then you need to avoid large parties and stagger the reservation times that you accept.

I hope the owner who, perhaps instructively, was not present on the night in question, will attend to these service issues; because a good reputation is hard to win but very easy to lose.

3 stars is a generous rating for this experience but 2 might have been a tad harsh; 2.5 would have been about right.

• Visited February 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Small tucked away, but surprisingly good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We ate here our first night in Marbella on the recommendation from Marriott Marbella staff as it is very close to their hotel. It is in a strip shopping mall next to other restaurants off a one way street, so not easy to find:) Food was very fresh and good. Went here with our older pre-teen kids and we all had fabulous meals and wine was also excellent.
Service was very slow, so be prepared. I think this is a small place with just one or two wait staff so be prepared to enjoy a leisurely dinner, but I think it is worth it and a frequent, Scottsh guest from our hotel so it is the best in town!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank KBFExpat
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I have written about this place before and always said how good it was, nothing has changed still excellent. We went there for brunch , simple food well cooked and presented. Ok its small but go there.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Motorsportenthuisias
Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
“The Best Restaurant in Elviria”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Although I have been visiting this area for about 10 years, I only discovered the Arte Cafe (tucked away between larger restaurants and bars) in December 2012. Since then I have been back twice, in February and November 2013.

The building is small and can get very crowded but it is worth it for the top quality food. The goats cheese starter is (as Americans say) to die for. On my last visit I had a mouth watering entrecote steak but can attest to the compliments paid to the crab cakes from previous visits.

I chose the banoffee pie last time and was a bit surprised to find that it was actually just toffee cake with sliced banana on top (no bananas detectable inside the cake, which was rather like a toffee cheesecake), unusual but enjoyable for all that.

Arte Cafe is not cheap. My bill with a glass of house wine, a diet coke and no coffee came to exactly 40 Euros. Budget 100 Euros+ for two with a bottle of wine and coffee.

I have not experienced any of the service issues referred to by other reviewers.

But you gets what you pay for.

Ask for a table inside away from the glass front wall and doors, where it can be quite chilly in winter evenings.

• Visited November 2013