“A place you will want to return to.”
Review of The Talbot Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mells
The Talbot Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Mells B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We were attending a wedding at Babington House and our hosts had booked us a room at The Talbot Inn, approx. 5 minuets drive away. As soon as we arrived we knew this was our sort of place. We entered via the archway that leads into the inner courtyard where lunch was being served in the warm sunshine. We were greeted by very friendly staff ( which was the case throughout our two night stay ) and the owner, who advised our room would be ready shortly. We decided to try the menu for a light snack and were not disappointed. My roast beef sandwich arrived fully laden with succulent beef and a portion of home made chips. My wife tried the cheese ploughman's which consisted of all one would expect. Our room ( No.3 ) on the first floor, was of a good size and had a very large bathroom. It was spotless with wonderful fresh white linens, large slim line TV and tea and coffee making facilities. If you have trouble with stairs it would be sensible to request a ground floor room as the steps are fairly steep and as it is a wonderful old building they are a little higgledy/pickaldy. Breakfast was excellent, having a cold buffet and full cooked breakfast to order. Super fresh coffee, none of the stewed stuff one sometimes gets served with. We decided to have dinner at the Talbot on the second evening, with a choice either in the main building restaurant, which is in several small rooms, very cosy, or the grill room, in a separate building at the end of the courtyard. We chose the Grill Room and were not disappointed. The room is like a baronial banqueting hall, but don't be put off by the sound of this, as it is candle lit all around, with the chef and grill at the far end. The dark wooden tables are well spaced and the atmosphere is wonderful, as is the food. We chose a selection of grilled meats for two which was served sliced on a wooden board. Beef, lamb, veal chops and if you ask nicely a taster of chicken wings. ( The chicken wings are really one of the starters ). This meat selection comes with chips and a choice of two sides. You may have difficulty with a desert after this, but they are very tempting.
Off the courtyard there is also a wonderful large sitting room where you can relax if the weather is not so good.
The two days spent at the Talbot were delightful, as is the countryside in that area.
I would point out again that ALL the staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have trouble with stairs. Friends had room 6 which they said was like a suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Talbot Inn

Reviewed May 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed at The Talbot Inn for 3 nights after getting a great deal on Mr & Mrs Smith but after our experience I would have happily paid full price.

We stayed in Room 6 which is a huge suite with a separate sitting area (with TV), wet room with separate toilet and a large bedroom with roll top bath, TV and a massive bed. The building is very old but the character of the property adds to the charm and no expense has been spared with the conversion.

The staff were also very friendly and had reserved a table for us for each night during our stay as a precaution to ensure we could eat in if we wished, which we were quite happy to do because the food was outstanding. We ate Sunday lunch when we arrived on our first day and had two evening meals whilst staying there. There was lots of choice for breakfast and everything was freshly prepared.

You can also purchase their own brand toiletries (Bramley) which are very good but quite pricey.

We would strongly recommend a stay at this property and will surely return ourselves.

Room Tip: Room 6 is a huge suite and has a lovely roll top bath in the bedroom. Highly recommended.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We have visited The Talbot twice before for lunch as we were researching the area as my great great grandfather worked in Fussells Iron Works. Each time I thoroughly enjoyed the lunch and the atmosphere and so this year my Birthday present was to stay one night in The Talbot and what a Birthday present it turned out to be. The staff (except I hate calling them staff as they were so much more) were so helpful, friendly and nothing at all was too much trouble. I felt they all took pride in their roles. We were even introduced to a new gin by the barman - Monkey 47! The Room (Room 3) was perfect for the two of us - so luxurious. The toiletries are gorgeous and I was able to buy some for Christmas presents when we checked out! The dinner was everything I had hoped for. Well cooked and lots of flavours jumping out - worthy of a Michelin star. Like previous reviews we found the breakfast to be excellent and set us up for the day. Well worth a visit and I am already hinting at future Birthdays!

Room Tip: Although Room 3 is on the front we were not disturbed by traffic noise as the curtains were heavy an...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I stayed here at the last minute over the recent BH. It was packed on arrival and I struggled to get parked but it was well worth the struggle. An utterly fab place with very engaging and helpful staff. Amazing food and very good service. My room ( large I think) was brilliant and the finishing touches to a high standard.

Breakfast fantastic always a good test.

Remember that there is hardly any mobile phone signal anywhere near although they provide access to a land line for important calls

I would say that this is the best place I have stayed in the Frome area and would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Janet B
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just had a lovely one night stay with my family and the staffa t the Talbot were super helpful from our phone call to book right through to our departure.

We went with our 7 month old baby and my parents in law and their dog so had a few special demands and none were too much trouble.

We had really amazing rooms (love the decor) and really enjoyed our beautiful meal in the evening.

Would love to go back sans baby one day soon!

Room Tip: Room number 6 is the one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed here for two nights, and couldn't have felt more cossetted. A friend and I had planned a weekend in Somerset exploring the magnificent churches, and we'd tried to book the Talbot but it couldn't take us so we stayed elsewhere. But I then decided to stay on for a couple of nights, and the Talbot had their 'small' room available so I booked it. Our Sunday morning didn't work out quite as planned and, after dropping my friend off at Castle Cary for his train, I turned up at the Talbot far too early to check in, but the staff were so nice and welcoming that I didn't feel at all a nuisance. I settled down in the sitting room with the newspapers and they brought me coffee and then a sandwich, which wasn't on their menu but was offered anyway, and was delicious. My room (no 5) was lovely, though it is the smallest, and I felt very comfortable in its huge bed, with fluffy towels, the splendid toiletries, the fresh milk and the general feel of being welcomed. I had dinner both nights, and the food was delicious. The breakfast was good too, though I would have liked a wider choice of fresh fruit. Altogether to be recommended, and I'll hope to be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We stayed here last week on our way home backto London and had the most magical stay, albeit way too short. We stayed in room 6 as we needed 2 cots and it was perfect. I loved every single bit of it and had the best night's sleep for a long time. Everything about this place is perfect from the decor to the food (the breakfast was fab) to the location to the staff, especially Justin, Nothing was too much for him, even our boisterous twin toddler boys who kept trying to escape. I was gutted when we had to leave and have just booked our next stay there in June and I can't wait.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Claudine G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mells
The George at Nunney
The Merchant's House Boutique B&B
The Lighthouse
The Lighthouse
#2 of 32 in Frome

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!